Sign in to follow this  
BWBriscoe

Stutters when changing MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE

Hi all,

I posted a few days ago about some scenery textures appearing black and was advised to change my prepar3d.cfg MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE to around 32000.000000, which I've done.

I've just completed an approach into SimWings EGLL (in PMDG 777) and for the first time I was getting stutters on approach, landing and taxi. Initially during the approach they were once every five to eight seconds, but once on the ground they were every one to two seconds. It didn't feel like a FPS loss as between stutters the sim was smooth, it felt like it was attempting to load textures further out and that was causing the stutter (correct me if you think I'm wrong). 

Is there another setting I can try in the prepar3d.cfg to smooth this out? I've never had stutters on approach into EGLL before (just the black textures which now I'd prefer instead of the stutter!). 

The only setting I've changed in the prepar3d.cfg is the MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE.

My system: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s) / 65GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Many thanks,

Ben

Edited by BWBriscoe

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

You could try 18000.000000, I've seen posts were that works too, and half the work for your hardware ! Also are you limiting your frames if so how may I ask ?

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

1 hour ago, BWBriscoe said:

Hi all,

I posted a few days ago about some scenery textures appearing black and was advised to change my prepar3d.cfg MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE to around 32000.000000, which I've done.

I've just completed an approach into SimWings EGLL (in PMDG 777) and for the first time I was getting stutters on approach, landing and taxi. Initially during the approach they were once every five to eight seconds, but once on the ground they were every one to two seconds. It didn't feel like a FPS loss as between stutters the sim was smooth, it felt like it was attempting to load textures further out and that was causing the stutter (correct me if you think I'm wrong). 

Is there another setting I can try in the prepar3d.cfg to smooth this out? I've never had stutters on approach into EGLL before (just the black textures which now I'd prefer instead of the stutter!). 

The only setting I've changed in the prepar3d.cfg is the MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE.

My system: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s) / 65GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Many thanks,

Ben

Do you have the new 777-200ER ?

I also had stutters on approach and after touchdown to EGLL 27R on Saturday.

I suspect the new moving map but not sure 

Default sliders here (Autogen draw distance on medium)

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

3 hours ago, BWBriscoe said:

MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE to around 32000.000000

The default value for MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE  is 1000. Your value is 32 times higher than default. I fear, this is not only a linear factor, but quadratic, means 1024 times more to load. You got stutters, well you asked for. 

I use if I recall correctly 2000.00 and have no missing textures, when panning around. 

Regards

Dan

Edited by blaunarwal
  • Like 2

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

It's a memory value, the higher the value the more memory will be used to fetch textures, thus preventing textures loading and unloading.

My lowly 1070Ti manages with a setting of 640000.000000, higher than really needed... 320000.000000 is more a middle of the road value, that said I never see a black textured building and haven't for years and don't have stuttering in normal use as I'm vsync'd to 30 Hz for a very smooth 30fps and run a DSR screen mode of 2560 x 1440, infact in a lot of areas I can manage a 60 Hz vsync for 60 fps and occcasionly fly @ 4k DSR.

I'd suggest if there is stuttering then something is else overloading either the GPU or CPU. Perhaps it is a particular texture set - PBR tends to chew through video ram like a superchased v8 does on fuel. The best thing to do is to experiment with different values till a sweet spot is found and monitoring GPU and CPU use is an ideal way to see how much load a scenario is placing on either CPU or GPU and thus will act as a guide on managing settings.

Rob Ainscough's video on the use of MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE

Cheers

Edited by Rogen
  • Like 3

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Using 180000 for quiet some time now (1080Ti) and never experienced reduced performance or stutters due to this. For me, 180000 does the trick sufficiently, no black textures anymore anywhere. 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I've not limiting frames at all...would that help? I think my monitor is 60hz...do I do that through the Nvidia CP on in P3d itself? 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz  
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

19 hours ago, BWBriscoe said:

I've not limiting frames at all...would that help? I think my monitor is 60hz...do I do that through the Nvidia CP on in P3d itself? 

I think the majority of advice I have seen on this forum for P3Dv5  is to lock frames to 30 Hz externally (via NCP or whatever else) and if possible set your monitor's refresh rate to 30Hz and then run unlimited within P3D.

Side note: I run this setup also however my monitor does not have 30Hz capability but it does have G-synch which I found helped tremendously with the smoothness.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

I tried 320000 as per rob's video in P3D52 on a 3090 and it caused an NT DLL crash to desktop during descent.

3 hours ago, glider1 said:

I tried 320000 as per rob's video in P3D52 on a 3090 and it caused an NT DLL crash to desktop during descent.

Been using 3200000 for quite a while ona 1080ti 

works perfectly fine.

mike

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Odd, 3090 has plenty of VRAM.  What is your DynamicTextureStreaming value?  If it =1 then set to =0.

Hi rob thanks it was set to 0. CPU and GPU loads are around 50 to 70% with temps roughly the same. If I set it to default I have no crash. 

i am in the middle of chasing this bug:

No clouds in v5 HF2 - Prepar3D Forums

so maybe the two bugs are related because of texture loading.

I fly the same route over and over again practicing IFR so I will report back if I discover why it crashed on MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000

Cheers

Update on the crash I got using this setting MAX_TEXTURE_REQUEST_DISTANCE=320000.000000. After I fixed the bug where no clouds were showing I've had a few flights without issues on the 3090 and I think the CPU is working less hard during descent. It's a great setting if you have got the vram to spare although it didn't seem to use that much more thanks a lot.

Edited by glider1

4 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

The LearningCenter.chm indicates this is indeed a "distance" value where it was indicated to me this was a memory allocation value ... two VERY different meanings.

Rob, is this distance in meters like SCENERY_DRAW_DISTANCE ?

Thanks.

Version: P3Dv5.4, P3Dv6  CPU: Core i7-13700K @ 5.5 GHz with HT on,  GPU: RTX 3080 12GB,  RAM: 32GB DDR-5MONITOR: 32" 4K with G-Sync enabled, OS: Win10 22H2, Target Frame Rate: P3D 120, NCP Max Frame Rate 35.

25 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I believe so, yes.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks. Like always, I appreciate your contribution to our knowledge of P3D.

• Upvote 1

Version: P3Dv5.4, P3Dv6  CPU: Core i7-13700K @ 5.5 GHz with HT on,  GPU: RTX 3080 12GB,  RAM: 32GB DDR-5MONITOR: 32" 4K with G-Sync enabled, OS: Win10 22H2, Target Frame Rate: P3D 120, NCP Max Frame Rate 35.