Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Slow Loading of Cliffs

I recently submitted a support request to Zendesk about the issue shown in the video. I understand that cliffs and low LOD mesh always take longer to load, but in this case, the loading is taking place almost when you're on top of the cliffs! As expected, the response was to follow the usual checks such as empty the community folder, update the sim, check for third party conflicts, etc etc. After followimng the advice, I still have exactly the same issue. I have been on YouTube and seen similar videos from other posters, but not a lot of people seem to be talking about the 'elephant in the room.' Is this something that has been discussed previously, or a well known topic of debate? I find this late loading mesh/textures a real immersion killer and am wondering if anyone here has some opinions about it and whether it's a commonly experienced issue.

Edited by Rockliffe
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Yep I see that all the time - not sure there is much we can do about it.

Thomas Derbyshire

Hi Howard, I certainly see this in a lot of places. Can't remember when it started for me but it's been like that for a while now. I've sort of gotten used to it. It doesn't seem to happen everywhere, I'm very aware of it around the south of the UK but not noticed it so much on the northern French coast, for example. I've just filed it under "one of those things that'll hopefully get fixed one day".

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Living on the South coast of England and flying in this area a lot, yes the slow loading of cliffs is frustratingly immersion breaking. It has been there since launch and didn't get any better with the UK update, not found anything that we can do unfortunately.

Edited by MarcG

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I see this, too, but there are regions where it is barely noticeable and others where it's really nasty.

However, there should be a cure for it. In the ORBX NZ mesh (and a few other addon meshes) there is virtually nothing left from the morping. The upcoming ORBX Alaska mesh should feature no popping, too,

However, this must be resolved within the simulator one day. We can't buy an addon mesh for 10 $ per each region where we want to fly.

And yes, other FSX/ESP-based simulators share this "feature" as soon as you add high-resolution mesh (or even without it).

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

There are two cumulative issues in the horrors we see in Dover and Etretat (Normandy).

One is the that Asobo generally (not always) does a poor job at making non morphing elevated rocky shores and another one  is in that, in certain case, photograsmmetry constructs show up only very close. I think that the Dover and Etretat cliffs are photogrammetry. Double penalty.

They have announced for a next SU or WU or HF or whatever that the photogrammetry issue will be solved. Maybe that will help. 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

32 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

I tried to post a question on this issue on the official forum for the next Q&A but it was rejected on the grounds that there was already a question about autogen LOD, which struck me as an odd explanation since that is a different issue as far as I can see. What‘s bothering me is that we haven‘t seen any sings of improvement in this regard, on the contrary, in the areas that were updated it seems to even have got worse. 

• Like 3

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

13 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

I tried to post a question on this issue on the official forum for the next Q&A but it was rejected on the grounds that there was already a question about autogen LOD, which struck me as an odd explanation since that is a different issue as far as I can see. What‘s bothering me is that we haven‘t seen any sings of improvement in this regard, on the contrary, in the areas that were updated it seems to even have got worse. 

I bet they have no idea how to fix it.

Also a previous ticket I opened for the hideous cloud reflections when the wind is low many months ago has been marked as "solved" but they did absolutely nothing about it.

And the official forum thread has only 39 votes... https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/cloud-reflections-on-water-look-absolute-aweful-like-some-128x128-pixel-texuture/389348/25

ba848ad4c01c5cbf8a21b1d3587841bc63254e7b

e2d28ee9ad02321833b56d3475aa7944bbaf5848

• Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

9 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

What‘s bothering me is that we haven‘t seen any sings of improvement in this regard, on the contrary, in the areas that were updated it seems to even have got worse. 

There's an explanation for this. Updated regions usually get higher-resolution mesh which is more prone to popping (in any FSX/ESP-based sim). Pilot's Ultimate Global Next-generation Super mesh, while looking excellent as such, had horrible popping under Prepar3d at places. As far as I understand, the higher the resolution the more transitions between differrently-resolved mesh incarnations occur on approach.

This is a basic flaw in the terrain engine, and we should insist this to be resolved. Neither XP nor AeroflyFS have this popping (or at least very mildly and rarely only).

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Been that way since SU5.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Squawk it as another issue that we have to deal with for supporting this sim.

Here's a list of squawks:

*The sim now takes twice as long to load to the main menu.

*Slow loading objects in the distance.

*Clouds look washed out after SU5.

*Scenery looks washed out at times.

*Payware airports & Airplanes are still being broken by new updates.

*Live weather is still not accurate.

*Lighting still shows up when it should not.

*FPS are worse than they were 6 months ago.

*Panning now induces stutters.

*Pauses are still prevalent.

*External views sometimes shows black squares.

I'm patient because ASOBO still has 9 years to get this sim right. 😀

Jose

Edited by DJJose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

17 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Been that way since SU5.

Been that way since FSX. I’ve mentioned this several Times over the last decade. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, DJJose said:

Squawk it as another issue that we have to deal with for supporting this sim.

Here's a list of squawks:

Jose

This is a bit unfair, in my mind, as (i) some of these issues are more and some less pronounced and nasty and some are not for all of us actually disturbing, (ii) all of the other sims have their "squawks" as well. I made a complementary list for Prepar3d on their forum three years ago. Guess, how many have been resolved since (and yes, terrain popping was among them).

If you want the perfect, ideal simulator you have to program it for yourself. Good luck with this.

Nonetheless, I think this special issue has to be pointed out clearly.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pmb said:

This is a bit unfair, in my mind, as (i) some of these issues are more and some less pronounced and nasty and some are not for all of us actually disturbing, (ii) all of the other sims have their "squawks" as well. I made a complementary list for Prepar3d on their forum three years ago. Guess, how many have been resolved since (and yes, terrain popping was among them).

If you want the perfect, ideal simulator you have to program it for yourself. Good luck with this.

Nonetheless, I think this special issue has to be pointed out clearly.

Kind regards, Michael

What is unfair is that some of us have spent hundreds to thousands of dollars on software and hardware to ensure that MSFS is the best sim that it can be, only to be disappointed. I speak for only me. I also read almost every good and bad thread about this sim. It's not unfair to point out what can and should be improved. What is unfair is having to deal with updates that, for me, have made the sim worse and not worth my initial investment.

If you think that my feeling is part of the minority, continue to monitor the threads that are created on this forum and you will begin to see that the bad parts of the sim are much more prevalent than you think.

Kind regards.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.