Sign in to follow this  
Noel

2070 Super to 3080Ti: very nice upgrade

I paid a lot for a 3080Ti Founders Edition, and held off until the dust cleared post SU5 to install it.  I installed it about 4 days ago and wow, what a nice improvement.   I'm using LOD 3.0, Render Scaling 130, of course everything ultra, and geez I'm rarely over 60% flying into areas such as KBJC near Denver CO.  Everything is very crisp and performance is stellar!  This is the haziness we're seeing out here now w/ the western fires so it's really a pretty good portrayal of this reality.  I'm struck by how sharp and detailed everything is and nary a stutter ever.  I've yet to have a CTD since putting the new card in, and it runs right at 70 degrees C.  CPU and GPU seem very well matched now.  I got to 19Gb combined VRAM/RAM, so there is still lots to exploit when Asobo gets around to it.  I hope to see clouds improved at some point and now someone on their forum say latter part of 2022 we will see an impressive upgrade in weather.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/rumor-has-it-an-impressive-update-to-weather-is-coming/447191/14?u=zahidhuubow

KBJC-CRISP.png

• Like 12

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

You need to cease and desist from posting these types of threads.  You tempt me into upgrading my card, and that's not a prudent course of action for me, not at this juncture.

I'm wishing that big weather upgrade wasn't a year away.  That's a long time!  Hopefully in the interim they can add in a proper visibility slider.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, Noel said:

I paid a lot for a 3080Ti Founders Edition, and held off until the dust cleared post SU5 to install it.  I installed it about 4 days ago and wow, what a nice improvement.   I'm using LOD 3.0, Render Scaling 130, of course everything ultra, and geez I'm rarely over 60% flying into areas such as KBJC near Denver CO.  Everything is very crisp and performance is stellar!  This is the haziness we're seeing out here now w/ the western fires so it's really a pretty good portrayal of this reality.  I'm struck by how sharp and detailed everything is and nary a stutter ever.  I've yet to have a CTD since putting the new card in, and it runs right at 70 degrees C.  CPU and GPU seem very well matched now.  I got to 19Gb combined VRAM/RAM, so there is still lots to exploit when Asobo gets around to it.  I hope to see clouds improved at some point and now someone on their forum say latter part of 2022 we will see an impressive upgrade in weather.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/rumor-has-it-an-impressive-update-to-weather-is-coming/447191/14?u=zahidhuubow

KBJC-CRISP.png

Nice, I've been trying to score the same video card myself with no luck!, I'll even take the GTX 3090FE if that's my only choice.  If you don't mind, where did you find/purchased your card?

3 hours ago, Noel said:

I got to 19Gb combined VRAM/RAM, so there is still lots to exploit when Asobo gets around to it. 

What is the combined VRAM/RAM ? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mace said:

You need to cease and desist from posting these types of threads.  You tempt me into upgrading my card, and that's not a prudent course of action for me, not at this juncture.

If you limit the framerate to 30 fps as he did, you can have that quality with your 1080Ti too...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

I would like to upgrade my 2080ti to that or the 3090, but (thankfully) I can’t get my hands on any of them. I’ll probably wait for the next gen. 

• Like 3

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

58 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

If you limit the framerate to 30 fps as he did, you can have that quality with your 1080Ti too...

I do exactly that

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I've been shopping every day for a 3080 Ti. I won't pay over MSRP and so far nothing pops up that's not $450 above it.

Gonna be waiting a long time haha. Congrats on the upgrade man. It looks sharp!

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

So, how much do you want for that 2070 Super? 😁

• Like 1

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

1 hour ago, Swe_Richard said:

I would like to upgrade my 2080ti to that or the 3090, but (thankfully) I can’t get my hands on any of them. I’ll probably wait for the next gen. 

I will do the same, my 2080Ti serve me good enough at the moment, and I will probably upgrade to a 4K G-Sync monitor at the same time.

Edited by Ixoye
  • Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Back in the days, when the frenzy started and the 3080 and 3090 were released, I was able to get a 3080 TUF from someone who was lucky to get two. He got both from local markets via preordering online. He sold it for 1000 Euros (he bought it for 750,-), sealed with original bill.

I was reluctant at first, but I really wanted the TUF, so I said yes. 
Watching back now, it seems like it was the right choice.

A few days later I sold my used 2080 on ebay. In the end it got past 700 Euros. Yes, 700 for a used 2080. That was right after I got the 3080. 
Crazy times in the Graphics card market...

• Like 1

I upgraded from the 980 ti to the 3080 ti a few weeks back and the difference is mind blowing! Mind you so is the price. 

Edited by rocketlaunch
  • Upvote 1

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

Crazy times indeed but fuelled in part by the crazy people who either cannot stand to not have the latest and greatest or do have that and cannot prevent themselves from selling them on at a massively inflated price.
Comments like "I have an aged 1080ti" don't help either. It was an excellent card when released and still is an excellent card, even though there are two more series releases since then. It is far more than adequate for running MSFS, as are pretty much all of the Nvidia cards from the 1060 upwards.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Well, I can assure you a "simple" upgrade from the old GTX 960 4 GB into an INNO3D RTX 3060 Ti OC 8 GB GDDR6 had a FANTASTIC effect on my MFS, X-Plane and IL-2 experience.

I can't ask for more. Stable at Vsync + 60 fps ( I am on 1920 X 1080, no VR ), and only the PMDG dc-6 makes fps drop a bit sometimes into the high 40s...

The RTX 3060 Ti was too expensive ( €575 ) but still acceptable a today's price levels. The card has an "LHR" tag.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.