Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Do you have an aging rig like mine? Try 20 FPS locked

1 hour ago, Ixoye said:

I saw one of your Youtube videos when you landing at Gatwick at 20 fps, it looked nice to me, apparently good enough for yourself to post it 😄

theres a ai bug what kills your fps after a few hours of flying that's why theres a pause in the video where I tried to fix it as I couldn't stand the low fps 

If I were Santa Claus you would each get at least an RTX 3060 8GB.  For Halloween ???????????  Perhaps a Radeon something!  Candy is candy, right!  Trick or Treat!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I have a i7 8700k 16gb ram gtx 1070ti and 20fps is hard on the eyes on my pc (1080p).  I run locked at 30 with vsync on in MFS and 60 in nvidia control panel. Stutters exist but are at a minimum mostly when flying to a new location with settings on high.

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

If I lock frame rates at 20 or 30 it makes not a dime's difference to me. Because it is smooth as glass either way. I don't sit there thinking gee I wish I had more fps. Without a readout, I wouldn't really know which it was locked at, 20 or 30.

But if I turn down the graphics rendering from say 200 to 140 it makes a huge difference and brings on a less than satisfactory experience. Same thing turning downthe  LOD sliders and especially turning down 'shadows' setting. Low resolution shadow masks (if that's the right phrase) makes for vanilla looking scenery. FPS is not a issue for me. Stutters are when they happen, but then I normally don't have any. Except maybe for a second every 10 or 20 minutes or so for some unknown reason.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

13 hours ago, tull said:

10 years old i5 2500k 3.30GHz, 1060 6GB Card and 16gb ram......and on the verge of parting with 1500 pounds on a new computer!!

Stop throwing cash at MSFS. 

My rig is close to 7 years old, with 8 Gigs of sytem ram and 4 gigs of vram. I have my fps locked at 30 and get something between 20 and 28, even in high def areas. Yeah, I get the occasional freeze as the sim loads the scenery. I run everything at medium settings. At 1080 p on an ultra widescreen monitor. 

The solution to performance problems is rarely money. I mean, you see guys who spent gazillions of $$$$$ on PCs complaining about performance, crashes, etc. 

The solution to performance problems in most cases is sliders to the left

Trust me, after a while you won't notice the difference between high and medium settings. 

Obviously, there are other tweaks you can do to create an environment conducive to better performance: keeping Windows updated, keeping drivers up to date, making sure no runtime libraries are broken, etc. 

If you think I'm talking out of the left side of my you know what, kindly check out my screenshot threads in the screen shot forum (all pics are straight out of the sim, with 0 editing applied).

My PC update rule has always been: I'll replace it when it's broken and the cost of repair doesn't make it worth repairing

Obviously, YMMV.

Edited by Ricardo41

This is very interesting to someone like me. One look at the specs in my sig will tell you why 😄

This PC is now 13.9 years old. I can get 30-50 FPS with many settings on High & Ultra under these conditions only:

• No airliners or light jets, TBM is the largest I can fly (Caravan & TBM cause lower FPS)
  • No flying over large suburban areas
  • No flying over large cities
  • No live weather
  • No traffic of any kind

If I adhere to the above the game runs so smooth and happy. 

Now that I have read this post I will definitely try this out because I'm curious to try the 787 & A320NX.

Also to address some of the replies on here - he specifically said this is for low-end weak systems. For those of us with such machines, we'll take everything we can get to get good performance! 

18 hours ago, sidfadc said:

So I have an i7 4970k 4.0Ghz, 16GB and a 1070....
So yea if your like me stick it on 20FPS and give it a go.

Like yourself I also am running an i7-4790k from 2014. However, I have my framerate locked externally via RivaTuner at 30fps and get buttery smooth gameplay even with a FBW A320N at EGKK. From my experience, you need a few things though:

- make sure your windows is on an SSD hard drive, and your MSFS is also installed on an SSD hard drive. This will help a lot.
- I am running the CPU overclocked to 4.67GHz and this really makes the sim perform great.
- Upgrading from GTX1050Ti to RTX2060 Super definitely helped as the 8GB VRAM now can handle my 2 monitor 3840x1080 widescreen set up at Ultra very well.
- Adding another 16GB of DDR3 RAM - I got it when it was much cheaper last year and no regrets. MSFS now consumes about 13GB in sim. The rest of the free RAM is Windows headroom now.

Given the ridiculous hardware prices now, this rig is going great for me too.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit; CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K; GPU: GEFORCE RTX 2060 Super 8GB; MB: Gigabyte Z87-HD3; RAM: 32GB@1866 MHz; HD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD x 2, ; Display: 3840x1080 (Samsung 1080p/60 24" + Samsung 1080p/60 24")

11 hours ago, RobJC said:

OP what resolution are you running? 

1920 X 1080

Thomas Derbyshire

2 hours ago, ammark said:

Like yourself I also am running an i7-4790k from 2014. However, I have my framerate locked externally via RivaTuner at 30fps and get buttery smooth gameplay even with a FBW A320N at EGKK. From my experience, you need a few things though:

- make sure your windows is on an SSD hard drive, and your MSFS is also installed on an SSD hard drive. This will help a lot.
- I am running the CPU overclocked to 4.67GHz and this really makes the sim perform great.
- Upgrading from GTX1050Ti to RTX2060 Super definitely helped as the 8GB VRAM now can handle my 2 monitor 3840x1080 widescreen set up at Ultra very well.
- Adding another 16GB of DDR3 RAM - I got it when it was much cheaper last year and no regrets. MSFS now consumes about 13GB in sim. The rest of the free RAM is Windows headroom now.

Given the ridiculous hardware prices now, this rig is going great for me too.

My 1070 already has 8GB RAM and I'm usually at about 50% utilisation, my CPU usually about 24% which would suggest I have headroom to push sliders but I don't really unless I want to incur stutters.  My mobo doesn't support above 16GB RAM which I already have.  So for now I'm happy with 20FPS flying the airliners, if I fly GA as already said 30FPS or higher (if I turn off VSYNC) is achievable although with VSYNC off I get screen tearing and don't have one of those fancy free/G sync monitors.  🙂

I have MSFS on a spinning drive, my OS is on SSD but only 120GB so not really big enough.

Honestly after flying a week on 20FPS its not as terrible as you would think.  It is definitely more consistently smooth with less stutters, I've just flown out of KLAX enroute to KLAS and it makes for a much more pleasant experience on my rig.

Edited by sidfadc

Thomas Derbyshire

I'm always quite amused by this continual debate regarding FPS. The human eye cannot detect the difference between 25fps and higher so why all the fuss?

Consistent 20fps is a word not allowed sight better than 30-60 fps with stuttering all over the place. Whilst it is not perfect, 20fps is perfectly adequate for a civilian airliner or GA plane. You would only need more for fast valley hugging jets, or aerobatic planes.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I entirely agree Christopher. Of course I should also have added if you turn graphics up to Ultra all around then the older cards will suffer. However in my experience any flying over say 4000 feet;  differences are very marginal.

This FPS is so bad that if you ran it in X-Plane 11 the simulation wouldn't be running correctly! I wouldn't even bother booting up...Glad it works for you though,

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, powlcown said:

I'm always quite amused by this continual debate regarding FPS. The human eye cannot detect the difference between 25fps and higher so why all the fuss?

lol