Sign in to follow this  
airservices

community folder

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

Even if there are two Community folders? (Different locations?)

We are all guessing here.. 😉

• Like 1

Bert

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

We are all guessing here.. 😉

This might be my problem I have MSFS installed outside of C drive in drive F also all my downloads for MSFS are in a folder in drive F would this be the problem ? I have a shortcut to my community  on my desktop

2 hours ago, airservices said:

This might be my problem I have MSFS installed outside of C drive in drive F also all my downloads for MSFS are in a folder in drive F would this be the problem ? I have a shortcut to my community  on my desktop

I have the same situation.. works just fine.

Run this:

https://flightsim.to/file/19844/where-is-my-word not allowed-community-folder

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Look for UserCfg.opt (use Windows search to locate it easily), open the file with Notepad, go to the very last line where it says:

InstalledPackagesPath (it should show a path to your F drive where your MSFS is installed).

See where your packages are installed and go to that file. Because you have installed MSFS on a secondary drive, you will have two Community folders, one on your C drive under User>AppData>Local>Packages>MicrosoftFlightSimulator etc... >LocalCache>Packages>Community and another one on your F drive. Normally all your addons and MSFS packages are supposed to be installed on your F drive, but they are all linked to the C drive Community folder, so in that folder you should only see links.

If during an update you selected by mistake the wrong drive (i.e. C), then your UserCfg.opt file will have been corrected to your C drive. If so you can rectify the path to your F drive (make sure you put the whole path to your Community folder!).

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

38 minutes ago, Bernard Ducret said:

Look for UserCfg.opt (use Windows search to locate it easily), open the file with Notepad, go to the very last line where it says:

InstalledPackagesPath (it should show a path to your F drive where your MSFS is installed).

See where your packages are installed and go to that file. Because you have installed MSFS on a secondary drive, you will have two Community folders, one on your C drive under User>AppData>Local>Packages>MicrosoftFlightSimulator etc... >LocalCache>Packages>Community and another one on your F drive. Normally all your addons and MSFS packages are supposed to be installed on your F drive, but they are all linked to the C drive Community folder, so in that folder you should only see links.

If during an update you selected by mistake the wrong drive (i.e. C), then your UserCfg.opt file will have been corrected to your C drive. If so you can rectify the path to your F drive (make sure you put the whole path to your Community folder!).

Tried to find UserCfg.opt windows tells me it can't find it anyhow I had a look I have a community folder in AppData on my C drive and another one in F drive what should I do delete the one in C drive or what ?

I was about to give you full guidance to locate your UserCfg.opt file when I read your last message, you definitely did not need doing that and you should not delete the Community folder on your C drive. But since you have done it, make sure on your next MSFS install to select your Community folder on the relevant drive (i.e. F in your case) to install all your add-ons and MSFS packages. By default, some may point to your C drive Community folder (because the path is shorter than on your F drive), if unspotted you will end up having packages and/or addons on both drives...

Edited by Bernard Ducret

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

2 minutes ago, Bernard Ducret said:

I was about to give you full guidance to locate your UserCfg.opt file when I read your last message, you definitely did not need doing that and you should not delete the Community folder on your C drive. But since you have done it, make sure on your next MSFS install to select your Community folder on the relevant drive (i.e. F in your case) to install all your add-ons and MSFS packages. By default, some may point to your C drive Community folder (because the path is shorter than on your F drive), if unspotted you will end up having packages and/or addons on both drives...

Just started download and yes it is installing my community folder into my F drive it will take about 12 hours to download so sometime tomorrow she will be done thanks for your help by the way

8 hours ago, airservices said:

Tried to find UserCfg.opt windows tells me it can't find it anyhow I had a look I have a community folder in AppData on my C drive and another one in F drive what should I do delete the one in C drive or what ?

It pains me to see you reinstalling MSFS when it likely was just fine.

You seem to be unwilling to listen to advice given by your fellow simmers.. 😟

• Upvote 2

Bert

7 hours ago, Bernard Ducret said:

By default, some may point to your C drive Community folder (because the path is shorter than on your F drive), if unspotted you will end up having packages and/or addons on both drives...

Not so sure about that.. On my system, the C drive Community folder is actually linked to the F drive, so anything addressed to the C drive location ends up on the F drive.  Confusing.. Yes... But that is the way MSFS installs its files.

Bert

48 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Not so sure about that.

I cannot certify that either Bert, but I do remember that some of my addons installers were pointing to my C drive when my MSFS Community folder was on the E drive. If I did not catch it then, I don't know what would have happened, my guess is that some addons would have ended up in the Community folder on the C drive... (?)

Another disturbing factor of MSFS is that a number of addons will not accept the long path of the Community folder on a secondary drive behind a wp. The work around is obviously to install them outside MSFS (when at all possible because some installers will only target the Community folder...) and use Add-on-Linker, but this is a lot of manipulation for something that ought to be much simpler!

Bernard

9 hours ago, airservices said:

Fixed the problem deleted MSFS off my pc will start all over again 👍

Nooooo!  There was no need to do that.  This would have been an easy fix in the end with the further information you provided.  A little patience was all that was required. 

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

52 minutes ago, Bernard Ducret said:

I cannot certify that either Bert, but I do remember that some of my addons installers were pointing to my C drive when my MSFS Community folder was on the E drive. If I did not catch it then, I don't know what would have happened, my guess is that some addons would have ended up in the Community folder on the C drive... (?)

I am curious.. when you go to the MSFS location on the C drive, do you see links in the folders below?

Here is my situation, as created by MS:

ZSxMtE9.jpg

If I follow the LocalCache link, I end up on my dedicated MSFS drive (which is not entirely obvious in File Explorer)

However, if you check the Properties of the Microsoft.FlightSimulator folder, you will see that the total size is only 4 MB or so.

So, pointing an installer to the C drive, results in the addon content being installed on the dedicated MSFS drive! 😉

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

I'm willing to bet that 90% of problems with MSFS -- such as CTDs or bizarre sim behavior -- are caused by users not following Asobo's instructions. They'll not empty the Community Folder or, worse yet, they'll hand-tweak some hidden configuration file outside of the sim -- and then blame Asobo when something goes wrong.

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

3 minutes ago, David Mills said:

I'm willing to bet that 90% of problems with MSFS -- such as CTDs or bizarre sim behavior -- are caused by users not following Asobo's instructions. They'll not empty the Community Folder or, worse yet, they'll hand-tweak some hidden configuration file outside of the sim -- and then blame Asobo when something goes wrong.

Now you are taking us "off topic"..  we were discussing the location of the Community Folder.

Bert