Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Do you feel that Asobo was a good choice in making MSFS 2020

2 hours ago, WestAir said:

Then allow me, (I don't mind being flamed)

PMDG would have us all using our real names, despite that being illegal.

FSLabs would give us service updates "soon" and would have banned half of us from their forums by now. 

And Aerosoft would have cut so many corners all the aircraft would be perfectly round.

ASOBO was a better choice than any high quality P3D Developer.

Does anyone know if PMDG or FSLabs have released a video game in the past?  I believe Aerosoft have released a glider simulator so they have some experience making a video game: https://www.aerosoft.com/en/flight-simulation/simulators/2761/world-of-aircraft-glider-simulator

I just want to say that developing a modern video game or flight simulator, takes a different skill set, and a certain amount of resources, that I suspect most 3rd party developers of aircraft do not have.

You really need a company that specializes in video games to make something like MSFS.  The catch is that you need experts that know about flight models and how aircraft operate, also in the project, so they can guide the game developers on the accuracy of flight models and the operation of aircraft.

IMO, it's much easier for a game company, with flight model experts and certified pilots within the project, to develop a flight simulator, than it is for a 3rd party aircraft developer for flight simulators, to make a flight simulator.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

6 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

Is this a fact?

Yes. Jörg just mentioned that again in the Dev Q&A yesterday.

3 hours ago, WestAir said:

How do you come to that conclusion? Facebook demands your real name for your profile as well. If they find out the name you are using on your profile is not your real name your profile will get locked.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, captain420 said:

I think the team at Asobo are crushing it!

11 hours ago, Farlis said:

this by far the best base sim platform anyone could have asked for. I see great things in its future. And I'm happy that they are the ones who will move us along.

11 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

These guys have done a phenomenal job. 

9 hours ago, btacon said:

I too am amazed with the overall project,

8 hours ago, Gulfstream said:

Absolutely outstanding.

8 hours ago, Bdub22 said:

I think we’re incredibly lucky that we have Asobo developing this simulator.  

7 hours ago, FrankPilot said:

I think Asobo is great, and will take us alot further yet.

2 hours ago, pmplayer said:

Let us be lucky Asobo got this job, now and in future we have the best Flightsim that ever hit the market until yet..

Is it allowed to express a different opinion in this thread?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WestAir said:

Then allow me, (I don't mind being flamed)

FSLabs would give us service updates "soon" and would have banned half of us from their forums by now. 

And Aerosoft would have cut so many corners all the aircraft would be perfectly round.

ASOBO was a better choice than any high quality P3D Developer.

There are rumors a PMDG/Aerosoft consortium bidding for the game variant of the FSX successor which later went to Dovetail. Obviously, MS deemed Dovetail the better choice at that time. The rest of the story is well-known.

While I don't have proof for these rumors (does anyone have?), I recall an Aerosoft forum thread about proposals for the UI of a projected Aerosoft simulator ages ago (around 2012 or 2013).

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

28 minutes ago, Capt Timeter said:

This is AVSIM. What would this place be without constant nagging and naysaying? 😉

2 hours ago, Capt Timeter said:

It is not allowed, it is required 😄!

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, Farlis said:

This is AVSIM. What would this place be without constant nagging and naysaying? 😉

Or just a different opinion maybe.  Maybe I am in the minority, but I actually like Microsoft and what they do (I don't understand all the hostility towards them), and I think Jorg Neumann is a genuine guy who really wants to move the title on.  I really like him.

As for Asobo, I'm not too impressed in a lot of areas.  We already know about the quality control and the number of regressions and other issues during updates, but the attitude of Sebastian Wlock on the Twitch feed last night was not good at all.  He looked thoroughly disinterested again.  Not only just reluctant to answer questions, but seemed rather dismissive, and after months of talking about a 'vegetation distance slider' and it being on their own snapshot, the answer was 'you already have it in the menu, low, medium, high, or ultra, but I can turn it into a slider for you if you want'.  What the hell!  The look on Jorg's face told it all really.  And once again he seemed to totally wave off the landscape morphing issue to 'needing better data'.

Martial Bossard is no better at times with his vague answers.  He doesn't seem to know what is going on in his own sim half of the time and laughs about it himself.  His stock answer is 'we are working on it'.  Well, we kind of know that Martial - it's on the feedback snapshot.

I am wondering is it is a bit of tension caused by Microsoft / Jorg telling them what they want and to what timescale, and then Asobo facing time pressure to deliver it.  They do almost seem bitter about being dragged in front of the paying customer to explain their progress, or lack of it.  And I know it has been said that maybe they are demoralised by the 'whinging' and criticism.  Well you know what, it's tough at the top.  This is a paid product.  If they don't like it, give up the fine salary, and move over.

I will say though that David Dedeine was a breath of fresh air last night.  I really like him.  He was positive, switched on, answered questions, and gave a good commentary.
Based on last night, it might be better to keep it to just him and Jorg for the future Twitch sessions.

As for - were Asobo were the correct company to go to - I think everybody deserves a chance, but I was a bit surprised considering some of their previous titles (Monopoly Plus, Zoo Tycoon, and A Plague Tale) seemed unrelated to flight sim.  As everyone else though, I want them to succeed, so while they are on the team, I can only hope they improve and I wish them all the best. 

I expect disagreement and even flames for this viewpoint, but that will be just your opinion also, and just as valid. 
The above is just my frank and honest opinion from how I see things, so I hope people don't get too upset about it.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

4 hours ago, Farlis said:

How do you come to that conclusion? Facebook demands your real name for your profile as well. If they find out the name you are using on your profile is not your real name your profile will get locked.

IIRC you don't pay for facebook, and you can control who sees your profile and data. For a paying customer to receive product support at PMDG they must give sensitive information to everyone.

I saw several users complain the policy was illegal in their country, but your mileage may vary.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

19 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

The above is just my frank and honest opinion from how I see things, so I hope people don't get too upset about it.

I resolutely and firmly refuse to comment in this thread that I find bizarre as we do not know anything about the contract between MS and Asobo  but I can't wait for the "behind the scene" book that will ineluctably be published some day 😄 !

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

14 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

... and the P51 would be straight from Hollywood with power - ONE MILLION

Maybe  modern fighter, but the P-51 is almost 80 years old.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

45 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

We already know about the quality control and the number of regressions and other issues during updates, but the attitude of Sebastian Wlock on the Twitch feed last night was not good at all. 

On that one I agree. He seemed tired and stressed out.

When he said he didn't know what "collimated" means, I was chalking that up on the language barrier, but then I looked up the german term for this and it is basically the same.

So he and his team worked on an aircraft with a HUD and he does not know what collimated means? 
Somebody was caught on a very wrong foot.

• Like 1

Was Asobo the best choice?  That's open to a long debate.  We'll really never know if another team could have equaled their accomplishments . But considering they just about designed a new flight sim almost from scratch, they deserve more credit than derision.

Strictly in hindsight, it's clear to everyone out there:  MSFS 2020 was released way too early - but that's on the Microsoft Corporation itself...     

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Asobo developped the biggest race game in an open world called FUEL (14.000 km²) in 2009, and if i remember Asobo and Microsoft had some years later the idea of marrying an open world with bing data. So i think ASOBO was a good competitor for this task because they knew how to developp the core of the sim = the world. I agree Microsoft could have hired a second partner for the planes like they did for the weather or the AI.