Sign in to follow this  
Lord Farringdon

Post Apocalyptic Buildings

Hi Guys,

Two images here of what I was getting before SU6 and what I get now. Having said that, I can't be sure this was not happening before SU6 was released, so I am not necessarily blaming that but it seems something has changed .

AM-JKLUF8zb3a82AOavIPWdcDL2VQlboixHAyEnh

AM-JKLWCe3wG9mUWvB9w_RtGhofDOJ1rwYfdkuvV

Please don't take any account of the ghastly exposure on this second photo. I had to turn HDR off to stop it from being all washed out and cant get NV Experience to work properly at all. That's another issue I'll focus on later. 

But at the moment this post apocalyptic appearance is particularly frustrating. 

Things I know: 

When loading the flight on which this second image was taken, yes I did get the message my bandwidth isn't good enough. Fine. I accept that I have abysmal bandwidth of 5Mbps but it does meet MSFS minimum requirement and I never used to get that message as evidenced by the top image until recently.  

I have removed all Ultra settings to low or off and have reduced all rendering and LOD settings to near zero to try and remove graphics resources but it makes no difference. I guess that makes some sense because as far as I can tell, this is not the capability of the CPU or the GPU, but rather my ability to download the necessary data and where once I could at 5Mbps (top image) I can no longer at the same speed (bottom image). In fact I had a rare turn of speed of 7Mbps at one point and jumped into the scene again but alas, no difference.

Yes I have data turned on, although I only have Online Functionality, Bing data World Graphics and Photogrammetry and have the other AI type settings turned off to reduce the quantity of download.

I do not have a data limit on my internet. Even if I did I could never reach it anyway before the month turned over, it's so slow!  

I have tried deleting rolling cache. 

I know from these forums, others with low internet speeds have had these problems and still others have experienced ongoing server outage messages which I have also experienced once or twice too. 

I am really at a point where all I can say is that where once I was able to enjoy the sim in Ultra with full photogrammetry, its seems those days are now gone. But, I have no idea why?

Thoughts anyone? 

Edit:  I should have mentioned that the top image was most definitely before SU6 and the second image is too over exposed to show the FPS but it is sitting at 32 FPS (slightly lower with HDR turned back on)  but still a widely different and positive performance improvement post SU6.  (although with no photogrammetry, who knows?) 

Edited by Lord Farringdon
  • Like 1

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

Maybe they added new photogrammetry data to that area? But you say that photogrammetry is turned off? The bottom is definitely photogrammetry.

Edited by Ridvan Celik
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ridvan Celik said:

Photogrammetry+bing maps is turned off and the bottom its turned on..

Just Photogrammetry turned off in the first picture probably.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 5

Bert

If the top image is how it was before, then im sorry to inform you that you DID NOT have photogrammetry turned on. And indeed, bottom pic looks like photogramettry turned on with an average bandwith

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Yes, the first pic is autogen, the second is bad PG due to low bandwidth.

Never trust minimum requirements*, when I tested it I often saw 10-15 Mbps used so... your only options are either upgrade your Internet speed (and come on, you can't have 5 Mbps in 2022!) or disable PG.

*Also, the minimum requirement of 5 Mbps could also refer to low graphics detail and LOD 10 for what we know.

Edited by MrFuzzy
  • Like 5

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

42 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

Yes, the first pic is autogen, the second is bad PG due to low bandwidth.

Never trust minimum requirements*, when I tested it I often saw 10-15 Mbps used so... your only options are either upgrade your Internet speed (and come on, you can't have 5 Mbps in 2022!) or disable PG.

*Also, the minimum requirement of 5 Mbps could also refer to low graphics detail and LOD 10 for what we know.

Thanks Guys,

You have all put me on the straight and narrow and that would indeed explain the difference I am seeing. But now I have that sinking feeling. I thought I was getting great performance but the internet connection is so vital and this just sux! It is what it is I guess 😞.

As you said Mr F, I will just have to disable PG and accept it. I am on the highest plan I can get where I live (we dont have fibre so it's VDSL, ie copper wire 7 km (4.5 miles) from the exchange. I live 30km in a straight line from the Auckland CBD, New Zealand's largest city!  It's a great city but our technical infrastructure is poked due to years of neglect.  

(and come on, you can't have 5 Mbps in 2022!)

Sadly @MrFuzzy, I can......

AM-JKLXhOj0p9C2OQCPrS5M3T6GQ5xpDfLyH5ufn

Cheers

Terry

• Like 3

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

I wasn't even aware that Middle Earth had an internet connection at all :wink:

• Like 5

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

4 minutes ago, Flying-Hare said:

What Internet bandwidth allows you to work with the "ultra" settings?

Well, I guess many, if not most of those settings relate to the CPU/GPU combo regardless of my internet connection.  But internet downloads are always overnight affairs.  It took two days to get MSFS downloaded!

I might add, this seems to peculiar to my area. Broadband has been rolled out to most of the country but we are one of those pockets that don't have enough housing to make the infrastructure cost worthwhile. I don't know how many houses are affected but I suspect most of them on my road (5Km) since we all access the same copper wires to the same exchange.  At busy times, it simply stops and starts. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I wasn't even aware that Middle Earth had an internet connection at all :wink:

Well if you are suggesting my ISP provides 6000 year old fantasy and fiction masquerading as the internet,.....you'd be absolutely right.   🤣

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, johnbow72 said:

Sorry to hear about your abysmal DL speed , one thought would be using manual caching for a area :

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/purpose-of-manual-cache/290506

Hmmm🤔. That seems an interesting workaround!  Thanks for pointing that out @johnbow72. I'll take a look at that and let you know how I get on with it. 

Thanks for all the responses guys (and commiserations). I have just tested the two conditions you have all surmised and you are correct, the top image must have been with PG turned off. 

I know it's no ones fault but my own,  but I can't help feeling like I've just been scammed out of something!!  😒 Oh well!

Cheers

Terry 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flying-Hare said:

What Internet bandwidth allows you to work with the "ultra" settings?

50 Mbps as recommended.

• Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

7 hours ago, Lord Farringdon said:

(and come on, you can't have 5 Mbps in 2022!)

Sadly @MrFuzzy, I can......

AM-JKLXhOj0p9C2OQCPrS5M3T6GQ5xpDfLyH5ufn

I have no idea if this workaround is available in your neck of the woods, but where I live there are no landlines at all so the only way of getting the internet is as follows: buy a sim card modem (mine is the Huawei) and take out a date limit free smartphone sim card contract to bung in it. That is of course providing you can get good 4g signal in your area. I can manage d/l speeds of between 15 & 30 Mbps depending on the time of day.

spacer.png

I obviously do not know if your location is shown here but it looks like 5g is also available in some areas! 

Edited by Espana Pete
  • Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

When MSFS 2020 first came out, I was running an i7700K with a GTX1060 (I think it had 6Gig vram) and 32 gig ram. My TV was a 42 inch Vizio @ 1080P. Similar to you I had a 4.3 Mbps wifi connection. It took 21/2 days to download the install.

The only thing I could run on ultra was Clouds. Everything else that I enabled was on high. No photogrammetry, but enabled multiplayer and online AI. I could run vsynch on, locked at 30. It was amazing to me that I could run it with my wifi speed. I think your 4K tv is what it holding you back. It's just my opinion, (considering your internet setup), but if you could come up with a bit smaller 1080P monitor or TV, you would be quite a bit ahead.

Now I've got the same cpu and graphic card you have, I still run the 42" Visio tv. The big "but" is that I now have 100 gig fiber internet connection. And I still have photogrammetry turned off. I can sympathize with you internet predicament, but I can easily see how you can still find access to an enjoyable experience. (not the best, but way more acceptable)  

• Like 2

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's