Sign in to follow this  
Bilbosmeggins

Update… 85gb!

Haven’t run MSFS a couple of months, so knew I would have some updating to do, but it’s telling me a compulsory 85gb! Surely to Christ that cannot be right? It sounds more like a complete install from scratch. Is it just me, or is there a way around this? I’ll be less than happy if I have to install the full monty again, as with my download speed, that represents a good 24 hours. Jeez, it doesn’t pay to turn your back on this title for more than 5 minutes does it?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

12 minutes ago, Bilbosmeggins said:

Haven’t run MSFS a couple of months, so knew I would have some updating to do, but it’s telling me a compulsory 85gb! Surely to Christ that cannot be right? It sounds more like a complete install from scratch. Is it just me, or is there a way around this? I’ll be less than happy if I have to install the full monty again, as with my download speed, that represents a good 24 hours. Jeez, it doesn’t pay to turn your back on this title for more than 5 minutes does it?

Nope!

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Yes. I’ve had a Google session, and quite a few are pointing towards a Microsoft Store issue. I’ve fannied about and signed in and out of my account etc. The game is in my library, but if I try and start it, it gets to the “checking for updates” screen, and announces I need an 85gb update which is crazy.

In a moment of frustration I’ve just uninstalled the whole bloomin’ lot.  I really don’t like the way updates are handled with this sim. It has you going in an out of Microsoft Store for bits of it, then a mandatory update that it handles automatically, then you have to mess about with Installation Manager for the last bits. It’s a major headache at times.  I’m going back to DCS for a while. 

Edited by Bilbosmeggins
  • Upvote 1

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

4 minutes ago, Bilbosmeggins said:

I really don’t like the way updates are handled with this sim.

I'm with you on that.  It is a backward, clunky update regime.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Had the same happen last week, 85G update. Took 18 hours on my crappy connection. There has to be a better way than this .

• Like 1

It’s not just me then. I don’t know if I’m glad that I’m not alone, or sad that some other poor sod has suffered the same. Did MSFS run properly after the “update”?

Edited by Bilbosmeggins

All data and prior updates were there. Log book was the same, content manager too. Still not sure why it was so large

At least you got back up and running I guess. Although an 85gig update is a bitter pill to swallow. I’ll probably leave it until after the next big update before I have a bash at reinstalling. Just can’t face it now.

I agree with all this. The updates are an exercise in outrageous, preposterous over-kill where just a couple of files, or folders with patches contained, seems to necessitate the WHOLE suite of massive master folders being downloaded. This assumes we all have stella internet connections, whereas the world average is still not much greater than 40-60 megabits at most. Even then Asobo?MS servers rarely offer more than a pathetic 8mbits/second. It is also a spectacular waste of bandwith, and for some it regularly exceeds their entire weekly/monthly allowance.

I really think it is time Asobo stopped doing this and had some empathy with those who are taking many hours and sometimes days to download each sim update.

Edited by robert young
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

I updated to SU6 within a day or two of its release. It was pointed to the correct location. I got on yesterday to be faced with updating 1.20.6.0 to 1.20.6.0, another 79GB download. I didn't change or add any files. Whoops! Thanks, Microsoft.

4 hours ago, Mace said:

I'm with you on that.  It is a backward, clunky update regime.

I have the Steam version. When there is an update, you start the sim like you normally do, a box pops up, you click it, and it updates. Period.

• Like 2

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

There is no way an update should be as large as the initial install of the entire program. This was just a service update, not a world update with all new scenery. 

As a point of curiosity, did those who had such a large update purchase through the MS store or Steam? Mine was through the MS store. 

Edited by Wnuk

Just now, b1bmsgt said:

I have the Steam version. When there is an update, you start the sim like you normally do, a box pops up, you click it, and it updates. Period.

Do you recall how big SU 6 was for you on Steam? 

9 minutes ago, Wnuk said:

There is no way an update should be as large as the initial install of the entire program. This was just a service update, not a world update with all new scenery. 

As a point of curiosity, did those who had such a large update purchase through the MS store or Steam? Mine was through the MS store. 

Microsoft Store. Total space used on my disk is 140GB, so the update was 56% of that. It just overwrote files from what I could tell.