Sign in to follow this  
remcosol

Future of p3d ?

16 hours ago, jlohrenz said:

When it comes to external integration with the simulator P3D is king plain and simple.

If you're doing serious integrations you'll for the most part depend on other systems and interfaces like prosim or the plane's own SDK and various other libraries and software. You simply can't build a realistic cockpit just by utilizing generic functionality in P3D using simconnect. Simconect was bad 20 years ago and it's almost just as bad today. And it's purpose is not to cover every single feature in every single airplane, it's a generic system.

This is of course true for any other sim as well and it's the way it should be. No sim should be bloated with such functionality but it should be written in such a way that it allows 3rd party developers to integrate their stuff, which is the case for all the big sims on the market.  In other words, your argument is totally pointless.

17 hours ago, jlohrenz said:

Right now my focus has been on P3D because I can get the most realistic operations for MY situation.  It is subjective, and it is also based on your intended means for simulation.

Nobody can argue with this as it's absolutely true.

However, this topic was supposed to be about the future of p3d.

There are many important things that p3d can do for me right now that the other sims can't. I could do like most of you guys in here and conclude that this makes p3d better than the others. However, I'm thinking about the future. I don't want the FSX situation over again, where my sim is pretty much a flying museum using old core software and ancient addons where all the developers left 10 years ago.

The other sims are moving forward and have active communities and active 3rd party developers. P3d does not have any of that. It simply doesn't. They all left and they're not coming back. There are issues in p3d that are pretty much showstoppers for me and there are certainly similar showstoppers in other sims. However, this is about the future. As LM still haven't managed to fix many of the 20 year old FS/FSX bugs, I wouldn't bet my money on them fixing anything any time soon. The other sims are actually fixing stuff and working together with the community. That's way way more important for me than which sim does what better than the others right now.

37 minutes ago, sim4life said:

The other sims are actually fixing stuff and working together with the community.

Hummmmmmmmmmm.............................

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

49 minutes ago, sim4life said:

As LM still haven't managed to fix many of the 20 year old FS/FSX bugs

Why not list them so we can cross check? I’ll tell you the ones they have fixed…

1) Takeoff and landing options for both ends of a runway can now be chosen.

2) Vehicle road traffic no longer causes stutters every few seconds.

3) The pause as you cross the Prime Meridian in London has been fixed.

4) The load of the simulator has been spread across 3 primary cores instead of just one.

I’ll leave you to post the rest.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

58 minutes ago, sim4life said:

the FSX situation over again, where my sim is pretty much a flying museum using old core software and ancient addons where all the developers left 10 years ago.

That is to misremember the "FSX situation".
In fact, the absolute stability of the existing platform, due exactly to the fact that there were no simulator developers tinkering with it,
allowed third-party developers to make FSX capable of things that even its authors did not imagine at the outset.
The third-party developers stayed with it right up to the creation of its successful 64-bit version, known by then as Prepar3D version 4.

Edited by Reader
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Juliet Alpha said:

Hummmmmmmmmmm.............................

Good point.

59 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

4) The load of the simulator has been spread across 3 primary cores instead of just one.

To be fair, this happened with FSX SP1 - Phil Taylor was talking about it in his blog posts. Now LM has made strides in improving things over time, but the heavy lifting was already done in FSX.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

38 minutes ago, Luke said:

To be fair, this happened with FSX SP1 - Phil Taylor was talking about it in his blog posts. Now LM has made strides in improving things over time, but the heavy lifting was already done in FSX.

Cheers!

Really? I still have P3D v3 and the stuttering as I approach UK2000 Gatwick is dreadful. In comparison the performance approaching the same airport in v5.3 is transformed.

FSX was the worst performing release by Microsoft. I can remember trying it on Microsoft’s own computers at a UK show in 2007 and it was awful.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

FSX was the worst performing release by Microsoft. I can remember trying it on Microsoft’s own computers at a UK show in 2007 and it was awful.

My experience of FSX was that for whatever reason, it was way ahead of the capabilities of the average PC at the time.
Whether that is interpreted as it was badly written, or whether it is interpreted as being ahead of its time, once again, in my experience,
it became very much better overall once the hardware caught up with the software.

3 minutes ago, Reader said:

My experience of FSX was that for whatever reason, it was way ahead of the capabilities of the average PC at the time.
Whether that is interpreted as it was badly written, or whether it is interpreted as being ahead of its time, once again, in my experience,
it became very much better overall once the hardware caught up with the software.

Yes. Back in those days computer power was increasing with Moore’s Law. So a couple of years later it was acceptable. The old advice was to buy the fastest CPU you couldn’t afford. 🤣
You also didn’t need to spend stupid money on graphics cards.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 minutes ago, Reader said:

I also can and did - even on older hardware - get/got a smooth experience with FSX. 
A tweak here. A tweak there. Some sliders here. Some sliders there. it wasn’t too difficult. 

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The load of the simulator has been spread across 3 primary cores instead of just one.

Is that a V5 specific thing Ray?  I’m still on 4.5 but this intrigues me.  

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

30 minutes ago, joby33y said:

Is that a V5 specific thing Ray?  I’m still on 4.5 but this intrigues me.  

It’s actually 5.3HF2. A very significant hot fix. 😁 v5 delivers better performance than v4.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

......You also didn’t need to spend stupid money on graphics cards.

I have never spent stupid money on graphics cards, and I never will :wink:

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I have never spent stupid money on graphics cards, and I never will :wink:

Depends on what you consider stupid I suppose. The bar is lower for some and non existent for the lucky few.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have just checked the price of Nvidia RTX cards on Amazon UK, and it seems that "stupid" was an understatement :blink:

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png