Sign in to follow this  
remcosol

Future of p3d ?

I for one am looking forward to the next release.  I only fly a single aircraft (OH MY!) as I have a full scale 737.  When it comes to external integration with the simulator P3D is king plain and simple.  Which aligns with whom their main customer base is, commercial and training industry.  This also explains where MSFS main customer base is (consumer / entertainment), as external integration for some aspects is still either not possible or very difficult.  Going on 3 years, Prosim-TS, which operates outside of the simulator is still in beta for MSFS integration.  They have it as a lower priority as there are aspects of MSFS that make it unreasonable to utilize in full scale training simulators.  They are simply doing the integration because there is a small group (myself included) that use their program for entertainment purposes.  Things like 3D weather radar integration, more detailed flight dynamic information, etc...  Works fine if your add-on is built into MSFS, but if it is external, there is no way to access this data yet, or it is very fluid on how it is accessed.

As such I have my system setup to run both, P3D and MSFS.  Right now my focus has been on P3D because I can get the most realistic operations for MY situation.  It is subjective, and it is also based on your intended means for simulation.  Fortunately for us there are multiple options out there compared to a few years ago.  That means that the niche market we are a part of will continue.

• Upvote 3

Building a full scale 737-800 Simulator running P3D v5.x 210 degree wrap around screenspacer.png

Jason Lohrenz (@lohrenz737) • Instagram photos and videos

Lohrenz 737 Simulator Project (lohrenzsimulator.com)

I'm a retired Airline Pilot and flew the Boeing 737,757, and 777 for many years. I agree that P3D allows me to fly those aircraft in a simulated environment with a high degree of accuracy. I haven't made the jump to MSFS yet, mainly because I'm waiting for my new computer to be built first. That being said, I'm not in any position to make comparisons, but for me flying under bridges using an Xbox controller is not my idea of flight simulation. Just my opinion though, not a judgement on other simmers. Thanks.

• Like 5

Pete Locascio

37 minutes ago, tamba765 said:

flying under bridges using an Xbox controller is not my idea of flight simulation

A little unfair I think. You can do that in P3D too. 

• Like 3

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

It's back to P3D vs MSFS. The thread is supposed to be about the future of P3D. 

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

7 minutes ago, David Vega said:

It's back to P3D vs MSFS. The thread is supposed to be about the future of P3D. 

Talking about things done in either sim isn’t a “my sim is better than your sim” debate.

But I agree discussion should be primarily about the future of P3D. It would be easier if we knew something about v6 instead of having to speculate.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I think we can safely conclude we won’t know anything about V6 until it is released to the general public.

• Like 1

Vic green

On 5/5/2023 at 12:51 AM, Kalnon said:

You really only fly five different aircraft!?!?  God bless you if that's all you need but I would never be satisfied only flying five.  There are so many fascinating aircraft out there to experience.  I have about 15 different aircraft for P3Dv5 and that's not including all the aircraft I own for X-Plane 11/12 🤣

Wow, I must be really blessed! I only fly ONE. The PMDG QOTSII.

• Like 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

1 hour ago, IanHarrison said:

Wow, I must be really blessed! I only fly ONE. The PMDG QOTSII.

If there's one plane that makes the P3Dv5 platform worth it is that plane right there.  I enjoy flying aircraft of all types and sizes but being a huge fan of the 747 since I was a child, if I had to choose just one single aircraft, that one would probably be it.

At least, we can agree that this is impressive: 61 pages when nobody has a single clue about P3d6 with no genuine info or any screen leaked.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sdirand said:

At least, we can agree that this is impressive: 61 pages when nobody has a single clue about P3d6 with no genuine info or any screen leaked.

Not bad for a "dead platform".

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

2 hours ago, Kalnon said:

If there's one plane that makes the P3Dv5 platform worth it is that plane right there.  I enjoy flying aircraft of all types and sizes but being a huge fan of the 747 since I was a child, if I had to choose just one single aircraft, that one would probably be it.

I fly the PMDG 737NGX (not the "NGXu") and the 777F (a version before the ground handling was switched to an external simulation). I do also have the 747, but there are one or two quirks with it that annoy me. One is the "bounce" when engine power is reduced (like at the top of a climb), and the other is the external ground handling model. It feels OK, but I preferred the old handling based on the default physics. It also does not work properly with the default push back (the plane suddenly starts moving forward when push back is deactivated). The rest is great, but my OCD nature picks up on stuff like that!

To be fair, the 737-600 that I fly a lot also has an annoying quirk (it starts to pitch up and down a bit in level flight when autopilot is engaged), but it seems that this can be averted if there is a waypoint (or turn) in the flightplan just after T/C. At least, that is what seems to happen based on hundreds of flights.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

15 hours ago, tamba765 said:

but for me flying under bridges using an Xbox controller is not my idea of flight simulation

That's weird. I've built and used full size realistic cockpits for various sims during the years and not once did anyone of the sims force me to fly under bridges. In fact, I don't even have an Xbox controller in my current 737 cockpit. It would be cool to have one though.

3 hours ago, Juliet Alpha said:

Not bad for a "dead platform".

61 pages of absolutely no facts about the future of p3d.

61 pages of speculations, dreams, hopes and wishes. But mostly rants, name calling, people getting warned and banned just for stating the obvious, i.e. that pretty much all 3rd party developers and almost the entire community have left p3d for other sims.

For me that is not a sign of a sim that is alive and kicking. No matter if it's 2 or 2000 pages.