Sign in to follow this  
Matchstick

New releases - SSW TF-104G and BBS Scottish Aviation Bulldog

F-104G is great attempt, however, a lot of issue pops up

1. AA radar is intermittent I was able to pick AI traffic only twice. The rest of the time I can keep AI aircraft in my bore sight but nothing shows up on the radar. I could fly hours along KLAX approach with multiple AI traffic  sweeping my radar antenna up and down but nothing shows up on the radar. 

2. I gave shot for my best attempt to achieve economy cruise  which is documented as 1500miles. I would be happy to go at least 1000 miles but with four extra fuel tanks and lowest possible power I'm only able to get only around 600 miles. Flying above FL300 calls for minimum mil power; otherwise, F104 stalls. Not sure if its bug or feature. 

3. I figured how to fly conventional TACAN using navigation equipment, but  traditional ILS is will only work in localizer mode. Not sure if 104 ILS capable but it's odd given it's all weather capabilities  it rather odd.

Other than that F1-04 very nice aircraft which tones of fun to fly. 

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

11 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Firmly installed on ETSF tarmac,

😉😉 Me too, welcome to the dark side 😉😉

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

On 11/22/2021 at 12:30 AM, sd_flyer said:

airplane is very nice! In my opinion it flies better than JF Hawk .

I waited for this as I did not like the way the hawk seem to pitch up and down.

Others in the topic please post your finding on how good, bad it is please. Your feedback is really welcome.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 minute ago, Nyxx said:

I waited for this as I did not like the way the hawk seem to pitch up and down.

Others in the topic please post your finding on how good, bad it is please. Your feedback is really welcome.

I posted another mini review few posts above. I really like idea of having functional AA radar even thought you have to run server on background. What baffle me is that it only worked twice all other time it doesn't see any AI traffic. I've been doing voodoo around it trying to figure out what could be wrong on my end. So far I absolutely have no idea why AA radar works only sometimes. I wrote developers about this issue but they haven't replied yet.

The whole idea is brilliant and F-104 daintily has greater appeal than Hawk. I only wish better communication with developers to know if that recognized bug or there is some kind of solution.

6 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I posted another mini review few posts above. I really like idea of having functional AA radar even thought you have to run server on background. What baffle me is that it only worked twice all other time it doesn't see any AI traffic. I've been doing voodoo around it trying to figure out what could be wrong on my end. So far I absolutely have no idea why AA radar works only sometimes. I wrote developers about this issue but they haven't replied yet.

The whole idea is brilliant and F-104 daintily has greater appeal than Hawk. I only wish better communication with developers to know if that recognized bug or there is some kind of solution.

Thank you, I quoted you on your thought it was better than the hawk, could you give more info on how it flys, handling and landing etc. please.

I want to buy this or the Hawk, so am all ears.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

12 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Thank you, I quoted you on your thought it was better than the hawk, could you give more info on how it flys, handling and landing etc. please.

I want to buy this or the Hawk, so am all ears.

Personally for me Hawk is more refined and polished there is no question about it! However,  "need for speed" and complicated (yet very rewarding handling ) is really make choice F104 is my choice. IRL handling of F-104 was very complicated, and this airframe was known for killing many pilots. In MSFS I went thought several mishandling crashes which gave me insights on "how to treat lady right" . Personally I  enjoy complexity and challenging flying quirks that seem well modeled. 

Also AA radar and upcoming ground radar functionality over US (I think for now it works only in some places in Europe) are like a cherry on top! So the bottom line - not easy to fly but very rewarding !

• Like 1

I forgot to mention default autopilot binding somewhat work in F-104 with basic functionality like heading /altitude hold

• Like 1

Based on my enjoyment of their wonderful Bird Dog, I am also buying the Bulldog. Bark!

I don't see any reason not to buy the old school 1950's Starfighter either.

By the way Jacqueline Cochran set 3 world speed records flying it. Eisenhower gives out trophies to her and Chuck Yeager. A legend says it was she is who talked Ike into running for office in the first place, and she was a major strategist on his campaign staff.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I have both the Hawk and the 104 now and so far I am enjoying the 104 way more. There is a lot more to learn on the 104 and it was very intimidating when I first got into it, almost overwhelming really. After about an hour into it I’m really starting to enjoy it.

• Like 3

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,

can anybody help me please - I bought the TF-104 & went for my first famil flight this morning - the problem I have is I can't get rid of the pilot avatar - when I started it my view was of the pilot's neck!!

I tried every thing I could & to no avail - I had to get so close to the panel I could only see the top row of instruments with the bloody oxy hose moving everytime I moved the view point - very unsatisfactory.

But I did learn just how touchy it is @ 55K feet

Rattso

Cooler Master Cosmos 700M - Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme D5 - intel i9-12900K(water cooled) - 128gb Corsair Vengeance 5200 D5 - Gigabyte Asorus 4090 waterforce - EVGA 2000W P/S - Creative AE-7 - intel Optane 500gb - 3x 2tb M2 SSDs - 2x 2tb Samsung EVO SSDs - 1x Hybrid 2tb HDD - Thrustmaster Warthog - Honeycombe Bravo quadrant - Thrustmaster TPR pedals - MFG Crosswind - Samsung Oddesy Ark - G9 49" monitor

3 hours ago, Rattso said:

can anybody help me please - I bought the TF-104 & went for my first famil flight this morning - the problem I have is I can't get rid of the pilot avatar - when I started it my view was of the pilot's neck!!

I tried every thing I could & to no avail - I had to get so close to the panel I could only see the top row of instruments with the bloody oxy hose moving everytime I moved the view point - very unsatisfactory.

But I did learn just how touchy it is @ 55K feet

47:20 is the "fix"

Lady seems works under DX12

unknown.png?width=2136&height=1202

• Like 4

the fix worked - thx very much - but it still is a bugger when you swap from camera view back to the cockpit - did a flight from Sydney to Melbourne this morning - 44 mins from on the runway to landed - flew it @ 35K - but I couldn't get either the main FAI, HSI or radar to work - also how do you get the joystick out of sight?

Other than that heaps of fun!!

Rattso

Cooler Master Cosmos 700M - Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme D5 - intel i9-12900K(water cooled) - 128gb Corsair Vengeance 5200 D5 - Gigabyte Asorus 4090 waterforce - EVGA 2000W P/S - Creative AE-7 - intel Optane 500gb - 3x 2tb M2 SSDs - 2x 2tb Samsung EVO SSDs - 1x Hybrid 2tb HDD - Thrustmaster Warthog - Honeycombe Bravo quadrant - Thrustmaster TPR pedals - MFG Crosswind - Samsung Oddesy Ark - G9 49" monitor

43 minutes ago, Rattso said:

the fix worked - thx very much - but it still is a bugger when you swap from camera view back to the cockpit - did a flight from Sydney to Melbourne this morning - 44 mins from on the runway to landed - flew it @ 35K - but I couldn't get either the main FAI, HSI or radar to work - also how do you get the joystick out of sight?

Other than that heaps of fun!!

Ive not bough it yet, so this info could be wrong but I think you have to set the HSI to TCM (TACAN) , its the top left button on the HSI turn that right to TCM, then use the Ladysetup TACAN-VOR page and use that convert chart to set.

Edited by Nyxx