Sign in to follow this  
raymar

Do we really have 545 new airports in the USA?

Anyone know if a list exists someplace?

image.png.4e1a70c75b4b6c83b926aced104e7388.png

Regards,
Ray

• Like 1

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I was also very surprised to see this many airports on one of the flash screens when downloading the update. I know the sim is missing airports when looking for a specific airport and cross checking with ForeFlight. But over 500 airports? 

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Seriously?  Appears they should first address blatant issues with airports already included in MSFS.

And sincerely hope they are not counting KCTJ, West Georgia Regional, as one of those.  It is a popular GA regional just west of the Atlanta metro area.  It has been there in MSFS but the buildings have been and still are all melted pools of color.  These vehicles are new, sometime within SU5 to SU7, but the facilities are still missing.  So should not be in the count!  There are quite a number of other airports suffering this malady. Hope Asobo did not throw in a bus and some parked vehicles and count those airports as "additions".

image.png.cda966bb9039cac5ceebb91a75fd6c5c.png

image.png.c4b57a99c70cd3957365d4e98ecabc15.png

And this is still the current state of my own home area airport, KESN, Easton-Neunam, in Easton, Maryland, on the DelMarVa peninsula east of the Chesapeake Bay.  Fortunately it has been properly created as an addon that is available on TO.  But this is how the MSFS default still looks today after SU7.  Building are melted blobs of color, and for KESN no vehicles have even been added, unlike KCTJ above!

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Hard to comprehend. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raymar said:

Anyone know if a list exists someplace?

image.png.4e1a70c75b4b6c83b926aced104e7388.png

Regards,
Ray

Out of curiosity, which airport is in this picture?

Lee

• Like 1

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

39 minutes ago, Midnight Music said:

Out of curiosity, which airport is in this picture?

Lee

here

And here

If you want to know, make a screenshot;, save it, and Google will probably find something.
This is how I got your answer !

Edited by ctdlg
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Looks like we got 68D Red's Horse Ranch. At last !  ✌️

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

5 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

That is quite a list... 😉

Not really, considering that there is 5,217 (public use)  and 14,702 (private use) airports in the US alone, according to the Bureau of Transportation.   Also, that number represents an increase of 200 public use airports over the previous year. Airports close and open so the number is dynamic. I could not find an exact number, but the number of airports on the planet tops 45,000.

Edited by Tierborn

If you are looking for a complete list of airports https://ourairports.com/data/  is about the best I have managed to find.

It's a continually updated list of whats probably open or closed and also included heliports.

7800X3D  + RTX 4080 + 32GB DDR5

There are some big numbers here. 
Effective 3 November 2021, the download files are stored on GitHub, in the repository davidmegginson/ourairports-data. The old download links redirect to there. Cloning that repository is an alternative way to access the data.

airports.csv (10,039,128 bytes, last modified Nov 23, 2021)
Large file, containing information on all airports on this site.
airport-frequencies.csv (1,220,145 bytes, last modified Nov 23, 2021)
Large file, listing communication frequencies for the airports in airports.csv.
runways.csv (3,128,014 bytes, last modified Nov 23, 2021)
Large file, listing runways for the airports in airports.csv.
navaids.csv (1,526,377 bytes, last modified Nov 23, 2021)
Large file, listing worldwide radio navigation aids.
countries.csv (20,662 bytes, last modified Nov 23, 2021)
A list of the world's countries. You need this spreadsheet to interpret the country codes in the airports and navaids files.
regions.csv (370,136 bytes, last modified Nov 23, 2021)
A list of all countries' top-level administrative subdivisions (provinces, governorates, states, etc.). You need this spreadsheet to interpret the region codes in the airport file.

I suppose the most important one is the one still missing from the sim.

Regards,
Ray