Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSalden

V5.3 : improved EA clouds ?

On 12/4/2021 at 12:33 PM, zkerr8 said:

I see you are using iFlys newly updated 737NG. How do you like it?

I LOVE IT! Highly recommend it. Great visuals, sound and flight characteristics.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

On 12/5/2021 at 5:03 PM, Johnny19 said:

Did anyone notice how at sunset the sun reflection on the water is not under the setting sun but on the right side 🙂

Yes. I have reported this bug 3 times during BETA and unfortunately LM wasn´t able to replicate this. Can´t do anything further about this. 

You should definitely report this at LM support forum. Maybe it gets more attention afterwards.

Marcus 

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

16 hours ago, DChockey08 said:

Global weather depiction. Still hasn't been fixed. This is a non-starter no matter how good the clouds look. 

Unfortunately this has nothing to do with a "fix" (because it ain´t broke). LM has this implemented exactly this way. It´s meant to be this way.

I do not know if this will get any improvements, although lots of beta testers do ask for this "enhancement" to implement regional/local weather so we get more realistic looks and stunning transitions flying from "weather-front" to "weather-front". 😉 

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

6 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Unfortunately this has nothing to do with a "fix" (because it ain´t broke). LM has this implemented exactly this way. It´s meant to be this way.

I do not know if this will get any improvements, although lots of beta testers do ask for this "enhancement" to implement regional/local weather so we get more realistic looks and stunning transitions flying from "weather-front" to "weather-front". 😉 

Thanks Marcus, perhaps this would be one very localised point where LM might consider giving some indication as to whether they are willing to look at changing the implementation.  Because as nice as my skies are now, this is probably one of the biggest single changes I'd ask for. (Global streaming terrain and autogen aside 😉 )

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

spacer.png xaP1VAU.png

@Steve Halpern

Hi Steve

nice pictures.

- Can you please post you settings  (Hifi ASN) Is AS or P3D controlling the clouds.

and the resolution of VC in P3D

Thanks Frank

WIN 11 64 Pro, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, I7 13700K, be-quiet Loop Silent 2 WK, RTX 4080 S, 32 GB DDR5 Kingston Fury Beast EXPO, 4x Nvme Samsung PRO, MS2020, be quiet SP11 850 Watt

Hi Frank,

It is not AS. It is simply me setting up cloud and visibility layers with the default P3Dv5 installation.

The texture sliders are pretty much to the max on my 1920 by 1080 monitor.

Thanks,

Steve Halpern

Flight One Software

6 hours ago, mpo910 said:

Sure, whether bug or design flaw it's still the same thing. 

Global weather depiction is a good idea I guess if you're in a static scene for a short amount of time (think Call of Duty or something), but in a flight simulator it's a terrible feature. 

Let's hope this is changed in the future. 

On 12/2/2021 at 6:41 AM, Nemo said:

Neither did I. That must be something specific at your side, Gerard.

Agree.  I see nothing like that in EA.  My clouds look pretty darn good.

On 12/7/2021 at 7:19 PM, mpo910 said:

Yes. I have reported this bug 3 times during BETA and unfortunately LM wasn´t able to replicate this. Can´t do anything further about this. 

You should definitely report this at LM support forum. Maybe it gets more attention afterwards.

Marcus 

I have no significant issues with EA or True Sky. It looks very good to my eye. I do think AS helps as per their recommendation about weather changes and layering etc if you have use a flight plan via AS and then it does seem to smooth this all out. 

Sun and moon are normal for me as well and no bending on the sun angles at all. 

This Southern Latitudes this am AS providing the weather. 

4HpVElZ.jpg

On 12/5/2021 at 2:46 PM, DEHowie said:

Using my modified volumetric cloud cfg i am absolutely loving 5.3.

They still need to bump the resolution on the cloud edges and random clouds or add some fade but the atmosphere of these clouds is unmatched in any sim ive used.

If you have ever flown a real aircraft and been deep in a dark grey cloud then punched out the side with the light increasing then jumping to brilliant light with white clouds all around bathed in sunshine P3D gives you that sensation.

Clouds are not perfect but the atmosphere is the thing. the cloud lighting is brilliant. The white tops of the passing showers/CB's that you can see through grey and sunlit sides is simply outstanding.

Someone finally gets it.

spacer.png

. spacer.pngspacer.png

If you have ever flown around heavy rainshowers..

spacer.png

As i was saying look at the white tops that transition to increasing yellow in lower levels and the grey non lit cloud sections.

spacer.pngspacer.png

By messing with the worley noise to get rid of the waffle pattern at least on my system they substantially impacted performance. Clouds are always going to be a tight rope of detail and appearance versus performance..they need to work on cloud res or a way to lower the appearance of smaller lower res cloud sprites which look to prominent for there size.overall the atmosphere even now is quite awesome and giving you that feeling of yes thats what it feel like to blast out into the sun.

Woww the first shot looks amazing! Do you mind sharing your .cfg with us?

All the best!

Xavier 

All the best,

Xavier Ravenberg

On 12/2/2021 at 3:58 AM, GSalden said:

Default flight. VolSky enabled. Vol Clouds Ultra. 
Active Sky latest beta.

Overcast :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/53cm3yqipyaejxa/Foto 02-12-2021 09 44 10.heic?dl=0

Still flat and repetitive on my pc…

Without AS it looks slightly better.

Those blocky clouds and cloned clouds NO LONGER appear on my system. They used to drive me crazy and make me turn off EA.  However, now I'm employing EA with volumetric clouds OFF and I'm using Active Sky and Cloud Art.

My clouds now look absolutely realistic and beautiful. I couldn't be happier with the look of the clouds since 5.3 and the HiFi additions.

Stan

4 hours ago, spilok said:

Those blocky clouds and cloned clouds NO LONGER appear on my system. They used to drive me crazy and make me turn off EA.  However, now I'm employing EA with volumetric clouds OFF and I'm using Active Sky and Cloud Art.

My clouds now look absolutely realistic and beautiful. I couldn't be happier with the look of the clouds since 5.3 and the HiFi additions.

Stan

Hi Stan,

Vol Clouds + EA where The Features that had to set P3D to a higher standard.

Sureky 2D clouds + EA is a good combo, but Vol Clouds should have been what 2D clouds look like but than in 3D….

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

On 12/7/2021 at 9:22 AM, mpo910 said:

instead of serious concentrate on those, well, i wouldn´t even call them "improvements" as they are must haves for a simulation in my eyes, they waste their expensive development time to bring the unrealistic legacy nightsky back into EA. By the way, Marcus, as you was the one who told me, that LM made this discission against your betatesters advise. Do they gave a reason why this has been done? Maybe a technical point to go even a step further in the future?

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif

1 minute ago, BerndB said:

instead of serious concentrate on those, well, i wouldn´t even call them "improvements" as they are must haves for a simulation in my eyes, they waste their expensive development time to bring the unrealistic legacy nightsky back into EA. By the way, Marcus, as you was the one who told me, that LM made this discission against your betatesters advise. Do they gave a reason why this has been done? Maybe a technical point to go even a step further in the future?

Hi Bernd. I can´t talk about what LM tell´s us. Sorry.

But in my opinion they did it to get better lightning (Thunderlightning), Dynamic lighting on rain and snow and work around the limitations of truesky (pure guessing with limiting knowledge). I think this, because with the release of 5.0, we had awful horrible weather implemenation, rain, snow, fog looked horrible. Now at least rain and snow look a little bit better. I miss the rain visibility reduction (rain "front") but maybe we can expect more in furture releases.

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

EA off, Active Sky with ASCA. Works for me. Not sure why EA on with volumetric clouds off seems to nuke ASCA. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Anyway, I have seen nice volumetric clouds, too, but just prefer the old look better by a big margin. Might depend on the depicted weather, too.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.