Sign in to follow this  
tyke1

msfs VR fps mod

This is a wonderful little mod I can recommend trying!

If you want to try something further:

1) download NIS_Shaders(RealityXP mod).zip.pln

2) once downloaded, remove the .pln extension and unzip

3) open a file explorer to
C:\Program Files\OpenXR-API-Layers\NVIDIAImageScaling\NIS

4) make a backup of NIS_Main.hlsl and NIS_Scaler.h

5) overwrite them with the ones you've downloaded

What it does:

It includes a brightness limiter which helps lowering the over exposure when looking through the window. You can also configure this easily:

1) open NIS_Main.hlsl in a text editor (you'll need to run the editor "as-admin")

2) go to line 88:

#define NIS_EXPOSURE_H -150

3) Change the value between 0 (no brightness limiter) to -150 (recommended maximum). A good medium value to try is -100.

Last but not least

1) don't forget to disable FS2020 own post-processing sharpen. You'll get even better results and less aliasing when using the NIS layer mod!

-> this setting is found in the UserCfg.opt file

2) if you want to try different brightness limiter values, just leave VR mode, edit the file with a new value and save, enter VR mode again.

Additional notes:

The shader code is controlling the brightness using the following formula::

line 177: const float exposure_c = pow( getY(color), range ) * scale;

- range: the number of bright pixels affected
- scale: the brightness of the pixels in the range ( = NIS_EXPOSURE_H / 100)

If you want to experiment in changing the range in code, or the scale via NIS_EXPOSURE_H, you can visualize how these values are controlling the brightness with this handy live graph view:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/vksoupwbed

Screenshot_2021-12-31_102243.jpg

NB: you can increase the strength with a lower NIS_EXPOSURE_H value: -150 or even -200 but it will cause much more color shift because the image format is sRGB and doesn't give much leeway.

Edited by RXP
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

This is a modification of the NVidia NIS Shader code v1.0.0 only (I've identified a bug with the NIS Shader v1.0.1 code). 

It doesn't change the rest!

• Like 1

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

14 hours ago, RXP said:

This is a wonderful little mod I can recommend trying!

If you want to try something further:

1) download NIS_Shaders(RealityXP mod).zip.pln

2) once downloaded, remove the .pln extension and unzip

3) open a file explorer to
C:\Program Files\OpenXR-API-Layers\NVIDIAImageScaling\NIS

4) make a backup of NIS_Main.hlsl and NIS_Scaler.h

5) overwrite them with the ones you've downloaded

What it does:

It includes a brightness limiter which helps lowering the over exposure when looking through the window. You can also configure this easily:

1) open NIS_Main.hlsl in a text editor (you'll need to run the editor "as-admin")

2) go to line 88:

#define NIS_EXPOSURE_H -150

3) Change the value between 0 (no brightness limiter) to -150 (recommended maximum). A good medium value to try is -100.

Last but not least

1) don't forget to disable FS2020 own post-processing sharpen. You'll get even better results and less aliasing when using the NIS layer mod!

-> this setting is found in the UserCfg.opt file

2) if you want to try different brightness limiter values, just leave VR mode, edit the file with a new value and save, enter VR mode again.

the location they should be placed is C:\Program Files\OpenXR-NIS-Scaler\NVIDIAImageScaling\NIS?   the included NIS_scaler.1-0-1.h is for the newer version of the nv scaler so not needed, right?

and sharpen=0 as shown below?

{PostProcess
        Enabled 1
        EyeAdaptation 0
        ColorGrading 0
        Sharpen 0
        Fringe 0
        LensDistortion 0
        Dirt 0
        LensFlare 0
        FilmGrain 0
        Vignette 0
        LensBlurMultiplier 1.000000
        FringeMultiplier 1.000000
    }

Edited by kdfw__

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

@kdfw__

Yes the NIS_scaler.1-0-1.h file is the NIS Shader update shader file also modified with the added brightness control, in case you want to try it out. However v1.0.1 has a bug I've identified and discussed with Matthieu a lot in a back channel, but I've not found the precise changes in the code which is triggering this bug yet.

As for the Sharpen this is exactly this one I'm talking about. Just make sure to change the one in the GraphicsVR section, or to be certain in case FS2020 is again tripping on itself (it did in the past with the settings...) just set both Graphics and GraphicsVR Sharpen to 0.

@RXP

Thank you!  the brightness control seems pretty subtle using reverb g2.

wish there was also a way to implement the variable supersampling in nv control panel where only the area around the sweet spot gets the high quality image to boost performance, among other wish list items (world scaling, more brightness control, etc.).

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

How do I remove this? I uninstalled via deinstallation of the app, it seems disappeared, but the brightness in the World Map stays way too high.

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

If anyone is on the fence about this then absolutely give it a go. It’s a very simple install and boosted my fps by about 10. 

Does this work with an Oculus rift S? I don’t know if that’s a wmr headset.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

1 hour ago, tyke1 said:

@ahsmatt7 yes it will work with your headset. 

Thank you good sir.

• Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

I am using this for the Oculus Quest 1 over AirLink with a 1080ti video card. After some trial and error, I am getting a good image and 10+ more frames in VR. Definitely worth the effort!!!

• Upvote 1

Ok not sure what I've done wrong, installed the tool and now the OpenXR Dev Tools gives an XR_ERROR_RUNTIME_FAILURE message when I open it.  Has anyone seen this?

edit:  nevermind apparently it must be installed to the "default" location.  Disappointing but an uninstall from my D drive and reinstall to default location fixed it.

Edited by flyinion

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

I see a 3 fps increase using the mod over my prior in-game render scale setting, using NIS scale 80 and sharpen 36.  The sharpen makes it worth it for me.  See my signature for computer specs, using the 497.29 nvidia driver.

What is interesting I tried the SteamVR FSR mod for IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad, and that actually lowered my FPS by 10 while providing very little sharpening.  That mod has definitely been removed from my BoS install.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)