Sign in to follow this  
jt233

Do you think I can run MSFS if I upgrade my PC

8 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

To be honest what you should upgrade first is the GPU and slot in an SSD.

Forget RAM upgrades as DDR3 is expensive and not compatible with any new PC later and 12GB is plenty in the current game at 1080p especially if it is triple channel.

Sure, your rig with a better graphics and a SSD will still never get Ultra or run a VR headset -  and might struggle in a 747 at O'Hare with all traffic on, but should be fine for medium most of the time and even high settings if you are in a remote area in a smaller aircraft.

The good thing about the GPU/SSD route is they will be compatible with a new build if you decide later you are not happy.

TLDR -- new GPU and a SSD will be fine for 1080p on medium settings everywhere but occasional crazy busy airports in an airliner.

So I decided to get Game Pass for $1, so I can try it. With all the settings on low, I was getting 30FPS at Area51 in the F/A-18. Although the game does notify me that I don't meet the minimum specs and might crash. One thing I noticed was that my GPU was running at 85-100% and my CPU was running closer to 65%. Is it a problem for my GPU to have this much Usage? I guess I should check the temps if anything.

Also, are there any updates to the sensitivity for the controls? I have a basic Logitech joystick and even though I turned the sensitivity down, I still feel that the planes are overly sensitive. Everything I found online about the issue was from last year so I don't know if anyone has found a fix for it. 

Edited by jt233

Jason Thiers

11 hours ago, jt233 said:

So currently I have P3D and would really love to get MSFS if possible. If I were to upgrade my GPU and RAM do you think I could run it?

Here are my current specs.

CPU: Intel I5 quad core  4460 @ 3.2ghz 

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 750ti 

Memory: 12GB  DDR3  

HD: 2TB HDD

Install Mint Linux or any other flavor and let it be separate for printing, email, web etc.  Then simply invest in a new rig for MSFS!

5 hours ago, jt233 said:

So I decided to get Game Pass for $1, so I can try it. With all the settings on low, I was getting 30FPS at Area51 in the F/A-18. Although the game does notify me that I don't meet the minimum specs and might crash. One thing I noticed was that my GPU was running at 85-100% and my CPU was running closer to 65%. Is it a problem for my GPU to have this much Usage? I guess I should check the temps if anything.

Also, are there any updates to the sensitivity for the controls? I have a basic Logitech joystick and even though I turned the sensitivity down, I still feel that the planes are overly sensitive. Everything I found online about the issue was from last year so I don't know if anyone has found a fix for it. 

If you go into developer mode in game and turn on FPS it notifies what you are being limited by.

The game does not multi-task well so 65% CPU is probably 100% on one core and 20% on the other three.

As you say the significant thing to watch is GPU temps, not percent usage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

If you go into developer mode in game and turn on FPS it notifies what you are being limited by.

The game does not multi-task well so 65% CPU is probably 100% on one core and 20% on the other three.

As you say the significant thing to watch is GPU temps, not percent usage.

Wow, I didn't think I would be able to run it, but with settings on medium low I was getting 30FPS around Los Angeles. I was monitoring my temps and my GPU only got to 150F after say 15-20 mins. I still want to get a new PC, but in the meantime I can at least have some fun in the new sim. Furthermore, I'm almost tempted to get the Aerosoft CRJ just so I can have a detailed aircraft. 

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

Jason Thiers

18 hours ago, David Mills said:

Also, whether you're using a PC or an XBox, you can get GamePass for $1 from the Microsoft Game Store and download MSFS to see how it runs and how you like it.

I 2nd this suggestion. Everyone's system is a bit different, so best way to get answers is to try it yourself. I believe the $1 offer is for 3 months too! 

*update: Ha, see you already did that. Nice.

Edited by JJ_
update

9 hours ago, BillC said:

Your PC definitely WILL run it. It's streets ahead of mine (10 year old CPU!) and I'm using the PMDG DC-6 at the moment. 

What your PC WON'T do is run it with everything maxxed but that's rather obvious. Without doubt, try it before buying something else because it WILL run and then it'll give you a pointer at how much you need to upgrade to reach the level that you are happy with. 

GPU..... 750 will not run it.

Bert

3 hours ago, jt233 said:

Wow, I didn't think I would be able to run it, but with settings on medium low I was getting 30FPS around Los Angeles. I was monitoring my temps and my GPU only got to 150F after say 15-20 mins. I still want to get a new PC, but in the meantime I can at least have some fun in the new sim. Furthermore, I'm almost tempted to get the Aerosoft CRJ just so I can have a detailed aircraft. 

Thanks for the help.

The Aerosoft CRJ is very easy on fps - one of the best performing aircraft available.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB