Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Live weather down for beta users

1 minute ago, Dillon said:

Try a cross country flight.  You don't see weather in the distance and fly into it.  You don't see where you're flying in clear skies and distant cumulus clouds you fly towards them, over them, and then a whole other weather pattern emerges as you fly along.  REX has a blanket of whatever weather it's getting from surrounding metars and it pops in as you fly along.  You notice it distinctly in higher performance jets. 

Are you using the latest version?

7 minutes ago, cmorg said:

This is the problem I have with them having "no plans" to open up the weather system to 3rd party devs.  If Asobo can't get it right consistently, open it up to someone who can, there's really no excuse for these issues at this stage nearly a year and a half after release.  Live weather not working is an absolute no-go, for me at least.  

To be fair, I dont think there are any providers that are able to push global live weather "consistently" (meaning 24/7, 365). We all probably understand how complex this is. Not saying that Asobo/MS and their subcontractors dont need to increase consistency, nor that I dont think they should open weather up for 3pd. 

Edited by Andreas Stangenes
  • Like 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

3 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Here we go again, I just outlined this a few weeks ago and people finally understood what I was talking about.  Please start the video at 17:53:

REX Weather Force 2020 | Comprehensive Review | Is It Any Good? | Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - YouTube

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

4 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Here we go again, I just outlined this a few weeks ago and people finally understood what I was talking about.  Please start the video at 17:53:

REX Weather Force 2020 | Comprehensive Review | Is It Any Good? | Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - YouTube

The video ends at 1753... 

You are probably talking about 11.30 and more pronounced at 12.40. 

Edited by Andreas Stangenes

Andreas Stangenes

8 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I didn't ask for a video link, I asked whether you are using the latest version. 

This video appears to be from September 2020.....

Edited by Ricardo41

12 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Try a cross country flight.  You don't see weather in the distance and fly into it.  You don't see where you're flying in clear skies and distant cumulus clouds you fly towards them, over them, and then a whole other weather pattern emerges as you fly along.  REX has a blanket of whatever weather it's getting from surrounding metars and it pops in as you fly along.  You notice it distinctly in higher performance jets. 

Yeah, that doesn't sound like something I'd like, however, saying it looks like "early FS9" wasn't very helpful in explaining your point 😉 You explained it well in the end, though, and it's a good point for consideration for people interested in buying it. 

Andreas Stangenes

31 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

I didn't ask for a video link, I asked whether you are using the latest version. 

This video appears to be from September 2020.....

I read a post from the developer about this where he says there's not going to be a fix until Asobo updates the SDK to allow third party developer to properly inject weather in the new weather engine.  So, you're saying what's presented in the video is no longer an issue?  I have long since removed REX from my computer.

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

33 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

To be fair, I dont think there are any providers that are able to push global live weather "consistently" (meaning 24/7, 365). We all probably understand how complex this is. Not saying that Asobo/MS and their subcontractors dont need to increase consistency, nor that I dont think they should open weather up for 3pd. 

It's an advertised feature, "it's hard and no one can do it" is not an excuse for it not to work, ESPECIALLY when Asobo won't let anyone else have a crack at it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

-C

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra, 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz

MSFS, XP11, XP12, DCS, IL-2, Falcon BMS, LMNOP

1 hour ago, cmorg said:

If Asobo can't get it right consistently

Really, you think they're all done developing it now eh?  I don't see any reason to believe that is the case.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

16 minutes ago, cmorg said:

It's an advertised feature, "it's hard and no one can do it" is not an excuse for it not to work, ESPECIALLY when Asobo won't let anyone else have a crack at it.

Now I'm really confused. If no one is allowed to have a crack at it, how does Rex do it in Weather Force?

For a more recent overview by an experienced reviewer, have a look at

Is this video definitive? No, of course not, but opinions vary and they do so widely. We've had this particular discussion too many times on AVSIM and we keep going in circles. Calls for opening the SDK for 3PD weather are made without any knowledge of how the weather system actually works. Whether one particularly likes WF or not, it does serve as an existence proof that real-time weather can be injected into MSFS. Maybe there's a better way. Until someone can explain how all of this works, discussion of the weather system SDK seems fruitless.

BTW, those making claims about how a particular add-on harks back almost two decades to earlier software might want to post comparative videos as evidence. Hyperbole can be amusing and certainly it garners attention, but it isn't particularly illuminating. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence/

Hope everyone has a safe and healthy 2022.

• Like 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

23 minutes ago, Noel said:

Really, you think they're all done developing it now eh?  I don't see any reason to believe that is the case.

That's not what I said so quit with the strawmen.  But if you want to discuss that, it's an advertised feature, never did they say it was a WIP, at least not to the point where it's expected to break every two weeks.  

Edited by cmorg
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

-C

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, EVGA RTX3080 FTW3 Ultra, 64GB DDR4 @3600MHz

MSFS, XP11, XP12, DCS, IL-2, Falcon BMS, LMNOP

7 minutes ago, cmorg said:

That's not what I said so quit with the strawmen.  But if you want to discuss that, it's an advertised feature, never did they say it was a WIP, at least not to the point where it's expected to break every two weeks.  

Oh but many harder core simmers insisted on integration of METAR which is exactly when Asobo began taking at stab at it, right?  Absolutely.  Moreover they have said they had major changes coming to the weather system.  Sounds like a WIP and as I said I think it's completely unfounded to make the statement, 'If Asobo can't it right consistently' has no basis in reality because they have yet to announce they're done working on it..  

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Asobo/MS have just acknowledged the live weather problems on the official forums, hopefully they'll fix things ASAP.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/live-weather-server-issues/485750/2

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

I read a post from the developer about this where he says there's not going to be a fix until Asobo updates the SDK to allow third party developer to properly inject weather in the new weather engine.  So, you're saying what's presented in the video is no longer an issue?  I have long since removed REX from my computer.

Good grief, that video is from Sept. 2020, and the first public comment listed shows he/she updated his/her conclusion 24/2/2021 or February 24, 2021.

Over 17,000 views of misinformation about the weather in MSFS.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

1 hour ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

The video ends at 1753... 

You are probably talking about 11.30 and more pronounced at 12.40. 

Your correct, sorry. 10:53 is the start of the example I was referencing.

• Like 1

FS2020