Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

Is cost cutting the reason of the weather degradation?

8 hours ago, MDFlier said:

Just wait... They self identify.

LOL

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

49 minutes ago, Damian Clark said:

Here’s hoping they do open up the SDK one day, perhaps then efforts by third parties, for example the 20 years of experience we have combining forecast models with surface observations into a cellular depiction system, could be appreciated and realized in MSFS again.  Maybe having third party weather options (using approved interface methods) is not a bad thing, at least not for actual simmers.  But (enough of) the community is against the idea of any wx addon via SDK, and that will probably have to change before the devs consider it.

I have your products for both XP and P3D, and I consider them a necessity.  However, I was against opening up to 3rd parties…..initially.  I didn’t want Asobo to take their focus away from making a truly revolutionary weather system.   I’ll admit now that my patience has been tested with their latest updates and “fixes”.  Whether it’s a lack of testing, quality control, or fundamental understanding of weather systems I really don’t care anymore.  I’ve seen the results, and they’re not good.  So in short, I’m all for opening this puppy up to see what third parties can deliver.  Competition should be a good thing right.

• Like 1

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

This may be the unpopular opinion but I'm still willing to wait for Asobo to sort this aspect of the sim exclusively.

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 10

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

32 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

May I suggest you use a different source? 

Will have to convince my wife to subscribe to a professional service such as this so our picnic in the park goes as planned. 

Thanks 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Wow!

Another thread starting with reasoning and questioning and degrading into insults.

Who's the mob then?

Who did he insult?

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

34 minutes ago, Gilandred said:

I have your products for both XP and P3D, and I consider them a necessity.  However, I was against opening up to 3rd parties…..initially.  I didn’t want Asobo to take their focus away from making a truly revolutionary weather system.   I’ll admit now that my patience has been tested with their latest updates and “fixes”.

I am not  eager for third party development of weather for the same reason you stated. I want Asobo to have a real opportunity to do it well. I think weather is fundamental to the simulation and should be done properly as part of the base package, I have absolutely no desire to be running numerous additional programs as I needed to in P3D, especially for weather.

It may be that Asobo is not able to do so, but from what I can tell they really only began implementing changes in weather over the past several months and I think they need more time to try to work it out and see if it can be done. Keep giving them feedback, the implementation of METARs is an indicate that they do listen, and hopefully this year weather will gradually improve. I think it will be a rocky ride but if they can get there it will be worth it.

Perhaps if after another year it still seems they cannot get there I would be more open to a third party program. But, as I have said before, Asobo has been explicit in stating that this is not something they are interested in doing. 

• Like 4

Dan Scott

And so, here we are again.

All the eager forum denizens stepping forward to say "All Asobo needs to do is...." (Place cool-sounding thing here)

They are soooooo incompetent! (Hint that random forum person is smarter, and could fix it, probably quickly and brilliantly)

I myself wonder exactly which weather program for a flight simulator has ever matched these peoples expectations?

My memory is that abrupt transitions have been a perennial problem in just about every sim ever made. Am I wrong?

Shakes head*

Perfection keeps being the enemy of the merely good.

• Like 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

5 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

My memory is that abrupt transitions have been a perennial problem in just about every sim ever made. Am I wrong?

I think you are.  Active Sky in P3D and Xenviro in XP do not have abrupt transitions.  But if that were the only problem……..

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

2 minutes ago, Gilandred said:

Active Sky in P3D and Xenviro in XP do not have abrupt transitions.  But if that were the only problem……..

Never tried (and don't think I ever will) Xenviro, but judging by the reaction from friends, MSF's depiction has nothing to be ashamed of.

As far as Active sky, I only tried it years ago, and never with "live" weather. (And even then, I was more interested in its sky colors and etc)

Also at the time, the clouds rotated, which guess I could have complained about, if I was expecting perfect "realism". 🤷‍♂️

But I didn't, and don't, and I remain dubious that what some people seem to be expecting is even currently possible.

If it is, I would like to see an example in another sim that has achieved this.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

9 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

And so, here we are again.

All the eager forum denizens stepping forward to say "All Asobo needs to do is...." (Place cool-sounding thing here)

They are soooooo incompetent! (Hint that random forum person is smarter, and could fix it, probably quickly and brilliantly)

I myself wonder exactly which weather program for a flight simulator has ever matched these peoples expectations?

Shakes head*

Perfection keeps being the enemy of the merely good.

i agree 10000%. Its like Football fans shouting and screaming from their chairs  to Ronaldo or Messi to play better.

I still remember those loading transitions of static weather episodes from other sims and now that we at last have the first dynamic multi-layer volumetric weather engine from a pro-company... we are trying to find mistakes day by day.

• Like 3

Intel Core i9-13900K | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | DDR5 64GB 6000-30 Trident Z5 RGB | Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix RGB | Corsair 7000D Airflow ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt | Samsung SSD 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB & 1TB | Alienware AW3423DW | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor | VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II | Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition

3 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Oh brother … and here we go again … asking expectations to be lowered …

On the contrary. People seem to keep forgetting that only about a year ago few, if any of us believed that what we are seeing (and criticizing) today was even possible.

At least one other company has gone ahead and created a weather add-on for the SIM using their years of experience in whether programming, but from the reports I have seen, that add-on has its own issues.

So, I expect, will any other add-on from any other developer. To me that's just a fact of life. Nothing's perfect.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Devons rig

25 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Nothing's perfect.

I don’t think anyone is asking for perfection.  At a minimum it’s very disheartening to see such large regressions with sim updates.  In the XP realm, no one thought a weather system that Xenviro achieved was possible by a third party.  I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss what others might bring to the table.

Gary

20 minutes ago, Gilandred said:

I don’t think anyone is asking for perfection.  At a minimum it’s very disheartening to see such large regressions with sim updates.  In the XP realm, no one thought a weather system that Xenviro achieved was possible by a third party.  I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss what others might bring to the table.

Disheartening? Maybe.

But to be honest, when I look around the forums, I see pretty much the same level of complaint whenever there's an update on whatever Sim.

All of them have their issues, and all of them have frustrated users when something or the other that was previously working fine is put out of commission by an update.

I could go to The P3D forum right now, and on any given day and find numerous requests for help, and numerous complaints about this or that; and that's on a Sim that's been out collectively and in various versions for way more time than msfs could even dream.

How many years has X-plane ATC been repeatedly yelling about us being off course? (I could go on....)

It feels like Sims have been like that forever.

In the end, I'm honestly not dismissing anything, but I do wish, as a general rule, we collectively had more of a sense of perspective about a lot of this.

It'll get fixed! But maybe sometimes we should be careful what we wish for, because it may just get fixed at an unavoidable cost to something else that we value.

And round and round we go.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Devons rig

9 hours ago, Krakin said:

Or maybe, just maybe this is the first implementation of the new hybrid weather system and they will be taking feedback from us to make it better?

Occam's Razor strikes again 🤔

Seriously all I've ever seen and expected is an aggressive work in progress.  That the last few months turned that pace down a few notches seems absolutely predictable given the pace of development thusfar and the holiday season being upon us.  My sense is the next 4-6 months will be very telling for where the sim is headed.  I'm definitely keeping an eye on XP-12 for if n when, but for now there are no indicators, funky weather notwithstanding, suggesting Asobo won't be back on target developing for dual platforms, or maybe 3 now w/ PS5.  It continues to behoove MS to support the PC side because the mindset using PCs I sense are by far the most durable and become a base for their Marketplace content.

• Like 3

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Gilandred said:

Competition should be a good thing right.

Yes, for consumers, it's undeniably a good thing to have open competition.

• Like 3

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies