Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

MSFS & Honeycomb Bravo trim wheel

So I just received an email from Honeycomb announcing their new trim wheel (cover?) accessory for the Bravo for $19.99.  I already sourced what I believe is one of these two or three months ago and it is fine.  But it greatly begs the question of the Bravo trim wheel and MSFS.  Unless I have missed something major the Bravo Trim Wheel and MSFS are akin to the Biblical "Tower of Babel".  They either refuse, do not have the ability, or are not allowed to communicate with each other without perhaps an interpreter (FSUIPC?)

I use FSUIPC with FSX SE, but the only reason I can find to-date for use with MSFS is the lack of reasonable/realistic MSFS/Honeycomb/Aerosoft function.  To quote a Dan Fogelberg song, "whose to navigate and who is to steer...."  The trim wheel cover has a nice feel.  Now how about providing trim wheel function,,,,,,

Anyone else find a solution within just MSFS?

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

What is this trim wheel cover?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

28 minutes ago, captain420 said:

What is this trim wheel cover?

It is just a slipover cover that provides a different feel that some believe is a more realistic feel.
https://www.pilotshop.com/catalog/pspages/honeycomb_13-23859.php

The same provider also designed a snap-in underside piece for the flaps lever tab.  Gives it a better feel as well.  Feels hollow without.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I believe the Trim Wheel did work, until people demanded that another issue with Trimming  using mouse or buttons be fixed.

Unfortunately one fix broke the other fix.

The Honeycomb wheel, if I recall correctly, is read by the sim as two buttons and not an axis. Much like the trim switch. 

Edited by Rudiii

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

1 minute ago, Rudiii said:

The Honeycomb wheel, if I recall correctly, is read by the sim as two buttons and not an axis. Much like the trim switch. 

Yes that is exactly what I posted about, and someone, Asobo, Honeycomb, Aerosoft, needs to fix that.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

4 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Yes that is exactly what I posted about, and someone, Asobo, Honeycomb, Aerosoft, needs to fix that.

Especially as in the early days of the sim, Asobo made it clear they wanted to support home cockpit users.

Having such a major issue with an all-in-one set product would not give me the confidence that I could get DIY home cockpit working correctly.

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

Not sure what to "fix' about it it? I'm using FSUIPC for the trim wheel and it works as it should in MSFS. Encoder switch closing Trim up and down. If a fix is needed it would be the sim.

Edited by Adrian123

I use Spad.next which I find excellent for programming custom events. 

I followed this great tutorial to setup the trim wheel on my Bravo throttle. It replaces the percentage change method to using radians which is more accurate

Edited by RJC68

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

15 hours ago, fppilot said:

Anyone else find a solution within just MSFS?

What originally was asked.....

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

1 minute ago, fppilot said:

What originally was asked.....

Yes, FSUIPC, Spad Next or Axes and Ohs. MSFS controlls are designed for Xbox controllers IMO.

Just now, Adrian123 said:

Yes, FSUIPC, Spad Next or Axes and Ohs. MSFS controlls are designed for Xbox controllers IMO.

🤣

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Reckon I don't understand the question. For curiosity, I loaded the Default C208 and assigned default Elevator trim up (Nose up) and Trim down and it worked fine with the Bravo trim wheel. Apologise for my ignorance.

Edited by Adrian123
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, fppilot said:

🤣

I understand you are looking for a solution within MSFS, I do not believe what you are looking for currently exists which is why alternatives are being offered

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

39 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

Reckon I don't understand the question. For curiosity, I loaded the Default C208 and assigned default Elevator trim up (Nose up) and Trim down and it worked fine with the Bravo trim wheel. Apologise for my ignorance.

Works ok for me too that way, but I think they are wishing to be able to assign trim to an actual axis instead of using a digital button press. It works well enough for me and is a big improvement over not having a trim wheel at all, but setting it up as an axis should allow for greater precision.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

I can only get it to function as one button click or trim at a time.  Are you saying you are getting the realistic trim wheel function of continuous trim change with trim wheel rotation?  If I want 10° of trim adjustment I have to move the wheel 10 separate times.  That is just not how a trim wheel works.

Frank Patton
ASUS