Sign in to follow this  
MarcG

Official Forum mods...

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

The Official MS Forum is pretty intolerant of folks bringing up topics they consider "too critical".  

Sounds just like AVSIM when Microsoft Flight released....🤣😂.....👀

• Upvote 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

What forum....stopped going there as it is only allowed to be an advertising forum.

Harry Woodrow

I disagree. 

I find the official forums quite useful, especially the threads by the modders (e.g., DA62X, Longitude, TBM 930)

There are several threads about the Kodiak, in one of them someone posted a quick fix to the ap problems some users were experiencing. Fix implemented. Problem solved. 

And IMHO most criticism is indeed ranting. Often times you ask the person doing the ranting to provide facts, screenshots, or other forms of evidence....result: they quietly slink away, or start resorting to insults, or come back with non sequiturs. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, MarcG said:

...there was a thread just now, closed and "unlisted", many posts full of proper constructive criticism of the handling of the simulator (some not so to be fair), it's become a Forum whereby you can only be "Happy" with the Sim to be able to post. 

I noticed that too... plus bug threads such as the achievements one closed and marked as "Fixed on-live" when nothing is fixed of course.

I did not expect anything different from the developer by the way, that's why I post more here. Thanks God there's AVSIM, let's do our best to support it with ads and donations.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Overall the official forums are ok, the Modding section is handy to see new releases and to be kept up-to-date on mods, the VR section is fairly lively. But it seems a waste of time to post anything knowing full well the thread may get locked down within minutes!

I've seen worse official forums of course, but I just find the recent need to delete anything constructive with a hint of negativity actually negative in its own way.

Like I said, they need to listen to all the feedback, I just hope that they are.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

2 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

And IMHO most criticism is indeed ranting. Often times you ask the person doing the ranting to provide facts, screenshots, or other forms of evidence....result: they quietly slink away, or start resorting to insults, or come back with non sequiturs.

Or, possibly, some might decide it's futile to "exchange" ideas with someone who has had a little too much French vino......?

Regards, Kendall

All of the moderation training on the official forum seems to focus on how to close and delist threads.

I especially enjoy when one mod forces people to merge a new discussion into a mostly unrelated old topic then another mod closes the thread for having wandered.

• Upvote 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

6 minutes ago, marsman2020 said:

All of the moderation training on the official forum seems to focus on how to close and delist threads.

IMHO, the mods over there (and here too, btw) have a thankless job.  They are most, if not all, volunteers and I feel they contribute as much to the community as the very best freeware "mod" you enjoy using in the sim.  While I won't always agree with their actions, I always try to respect and appreciate what they do.

• Like 8

Regards, Kendall

It's just a mirror of society and social media in general. Tow the line, don't argue, conform to the prevailing consensus or be cancelled.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, irocx said:

Or, possibly, some might decide it's futile to "exchange" ideas with someone who has had a little too much French vino......?

qed.

I'm going to respectfully disagree on the basis that my perceived main use of that forum is to point out issues and have them voted on for attention.

The majority of criticism and feedback that I see pushback against is due to technical limitations.

The devs, the mods and the consumers all just want a good simulator. The idea that Asobo or MS is trying to pull the wool over our eyes all the time doesn't make a lot of sense to me. It's an incredibly successful product with a huge educated and knowledgeable user base.

• Like 3

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

Is it weird that I never visit there?  The only time I've ever gone to the official site is to upvote bug fixes/feature requests. 

Official forums are weird places.  You get a lot of random people seemingly with various agendas.  I don't visit there, but one thing I will say is when threads get locked, often times there are posts that got deleted, so a locked thread might not look bad, but you're not seeing what really caused the issue.  What looks like a civil discussion can be missing posts.  I see this happen a lot, and being a mod on a very small site I can say that you're rarely seeing the whole picture. 

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Some of you are a bit harsh, I reckon.  The mods there don't do a bad job overall. I am slightly irritated when they merge posts to satisfy their voting system but I have not seen them really stifling criticism expressed in a decent manner. Actually, the dreadful updates generate as much of a circus there than here 😄 !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

7 hours ago, jarmstro said:

It's just a mirror of society and social media in general. Tow the line, don't argue, conform to the prevailing consensus or be cancelled.

I would suggest that everyone should go back and re-read the rules or "Terms of Service" for ALL of the forum or flightsim sites you belong to.  They all pretty much state the same thing about this is not a democracy and there is no real freedom of speech.  Consider this site and the other ones as a "benevolent dictatorship".  Otherwise, all hell can break loose!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

The threads that get locked or deleted have usually devolved into chaos with personal insults being thrown at the dev team, Asobo and other forum members. IMO they are locked down/deleted for good reason. 

• Like 3

Former Child, Current Adult