Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Guys VR is the future for FS. I can't go back to 2D

4 minutes ago, MSFLYER5856 said:

But it can also screw up your eyesight long term if overused,

Any scientific evidence to back that claim up please? Genuinely interested 🙂 Thanks.

• Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

15 hours ago, Dillon said:

It's only a data cable.  Does nothing for it's connecting into the FS and the video card.

No it's not. I have been using the Quest 2 and VR with MSFS2020 without any issue.  If you Google "Oculus Link" you will see what I meant.  Having a dedicate HP headset is fine, but I prefer my setup because I play other really cool stuffs with the Quest 2.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

15 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Any scientific evidence to back that claim up please? Genuinely interested 🙂 Thanks.

There is some research but it seems like short term issues as opposed to long term damage.. There are also organizations with vested monetary interest that will dispute this. So you need to take it at face value. Here are just two articles. And it probably comes down to just taking breaks and not over using it. 

https://www.allaboutvision.com/computer-vision-syndrome/digital-eye-strain/vr-damage-eyes/

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52992675

Edited by MSFLYER5856
  • Like 2

5 MHz 8087 IBM Clone, 640k RAM, 10 MB HD, Hercules 64k Graphics card, 14 in Monochrome Monitor, CH Products Mach-1 Joy Stick.

Thanks, I've noticed my eyesight has deteriorated in recent times but that's more to do with age than VR usage (4-5 hours a week). I've yet to read a proper study on the long term effects, mainly because VR displays have progressed so much to render a study difficult I suppose.

The first/old low resolution HMDs with big Screen Door Effects could well of harmed eye sight, but now we're almost at the stage where they're so good it's almost negligible.

An interesting subject, one I'm keeping an open eye on....pun intended!

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

7 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Thanks, I've noticed my eyesight has deteriorated in recent times but that's more to do with age than VR usage (4-5 hours a week). I've yet to read a proper study on the long term effects, mainly because VR displays have progressed so much to render a study difficult I suppose.

The first/old low resolution HMDs with big Screen Door Effects could well of harmed eye sight, but now we're almost at the stage where they're so good it's almost negligible.

Yea, I still see these cheap $50 systems on the market. I can't imagine ever using one of those. But just like anything from stitting down to using a mouse, you need to take breaks and over doing it can cause issues. With my setup, I take a fligh and every now and then just let AP take over while getting up to do stretches.

Edited by MSFLYER5856

5 MHz 8087 IBM Clone, 640k RAM, 10 MB HD, Hercules 64k Graphics card, 14 in Monochrome Monitor, CH Products Mach-1 Joy Stick.

I bought my first headset a year ago and I‘m on the same page with Dillon - I can‘t go back to 2d. The beginning was a bit bumpy. After the initial „wow effect“ had gone I struggled to get used to flying in VR. I almost exclusively fly airliners and the frame rates in the A320 were rather poor when VR was released so I could either have a smooth but blurry experience or a crisp but choppy one. Another problem was using the external apps I was used to. After 2-3 weeks of tweaking and trying to to come to terms with it I gave up and went back to pancake mode. I only occasionally fired up my headset for a bit of sightseeing in the Cessna or show it to friends but that was about it.
Then, it must have been 6-8 weeks later, while taxiing to the runway at A Coruña, things changed. I remember feeling slightly bored and irresolute as to whether I really wanted to continue the flight or call it a day and watch Neflixt instead. Then my eyes fell on the headset lying on my desk, I plugged it in, and that was when it clicked. I don‘t know why exactly but it felt different. It looked great, ran smoothly (or smoothly enough), and it felt „real“. When I pierced through the clouds over the bay of Bilbao and turned into the final, I couldn‘t help but smile. It was just perfect - the weather, the lighting, the scenery, the overall atmosphere - everything. Since that flight I haven‘t completed a single flight without VR.

I set up my peripherals to suit my needs. With the Bravo throttle, for instance, I only use the levers and that knob for tuning the autopilot. For everything else I use the mouse. I also got a Navigraph subscription, which is a bit pricey but it‘s great to be able to use all the charts in VR. 

I know VR in MSFS still has its shortcomings, but once it’s set up properly and you got used to it, it can be an incredible experience.

Edited by Shack95
  • Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

6 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

I set up my peripherals to suit my needs. With the Bravo throttle, for instance, I only use the levers and that knob for tuning the autopilot. For everything else I use the mouse. I also got a Navigraph subscription, which is bit pricey but it‘s great to be able to use all the charts in VR. 

I know VR in MSFS still has its shortcomings, but once it’s set up properly and you got used to it, it can be an incredible experience.

I take it you are restricted to using just one screen when using VR ?

Edited by MSFLYER5856

4 hours ago, wim123 said:

as long as vr is not really plug and play and be good, it wont make much advances.

it needs a lot of improvements for me to be worth it.

PC gaming (and flight simulation in particular) in general isn't plug and play.  If I added up all the time I spent adjusting system and MSFS settings to get the sim and add-ons running reasonably well (while sometimes fighting Asobo's best efforts to make me fail Lol) the time spent setting up and configuring VR would be a drop in the bucket. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MSFLYER5856 said:

I use 2 screens, the second one for the Simbrief flight plan and other external apps, e.g. for cabin announcements (childish I know but I like it), or to do something else while on cruising altitude. To use the mouse on the second screen you just have to press the windows key, that‘s it (and take off the headset obviously).

Edited by Shack95

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

8 minutes ago, MSFLYER5856 said:

Not sure what you mean by "using one screen" in VR.  In VR you have a screen for both eyes, giving you a true 3D effect of the world around you - 360 degrees as you turn your head.  You do lose any ability to see the "outside world" while wearing a VR headset, so any external screens you have are not useful while in VR.

6 minutes ago, PlumCrazy said:

Not sure what you mean by "using one screen" in VR.  In VR you have a screen for both eyes, giving you a true 3D effect of the world around you - 360 degrees as you turn your head.  You do lose any ability to see the "outside world" while wearing a VR headset, so any external screens you have are not useful while in VR.

That what I meant. As I have a seperate monitor I use for various inflight utils.  I'd use 3 if my desk was big enough.

Everone has their own way to enjoy the game.

Edited by MSFLYER5856

17 minutes ago, MarcG said:

I think the initial issue was that you were staring at a screen that is a fixed distance from your eyes, and your focus was never changing for long periods of time, possibly leading to eye strain, especially as people would get into a game and not take the recommended breaks.

Perhaps this problem will be eliminated or alleviated when or if varifocal technology becomes more common.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 hours ago, tup61 said:

1. The weight of the device ...

2. The quality of the visuals was really bad ...

3. .out of the real world and into a virtual one....harder to write something down ..... whenever I stopped playing in VR it took time before I was back in the real world again.

4. ...migraine,

5. ...the 3D VR effect wears off after some time.

1. Getting better all the time. Some of it is the balance of the device. I just got the Varjo Aero and it balances very nicely and feels light
  2. Reverb G2 is good, but Varjo Aero, well it's pretty much there.....
  3. I know what you mean. You are disconnected in VR. I don't mind it... mostly.
    • Again getting better all the time, there's a thing out where you use a real pen tablet on your knee and can scribble on it and you see it in sim
    • I remember that. It was wierd. I felt like the real world was a sim. But it only lasted the first couple of times for me.
  4.  Personal choice I guess.

You are far from the only one who has got super excited, loved it and then dropped VR though. If I had a massive wrap around screen I may feel differently. 

• Like 1

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

2 minutes ago, MSFLYER5856 said:

That what I meant. As I have a seperate monitor I use for various inflight utils.  I'd use 3 if my desk was big enough.

In VR I use utilities that allow the ability to do things like viewing PDF documents (for charts), moving maps, airport information, etc.  It can be a bit more clunky than having multiple monitors to see all that information, but the immersion factor of being IN the cockpit FAR outweighs the VR limitations.  When I used to fly in 2D, I never felt like I was doing anything more than flying on a PC simulator.  It is hard to trick your brain into thinking you are actually flying an aircraft, when in your peripheral vision you see walls, lights, TV, ceiling, floor, PC setup, dog, wife, etc.   When flying in VR, there are many times I totally lose myself in the experience and feel like I am REALLY flying an aircraft.  If you haven't experienced MSFS in VR, you owe it to yourself to try it out.  There is no way to really understand how VR transforms the experience  without trying it.

13 minutes ago, PlumCrazy said:

When flying in VR, there are many times I totally lose myself in the experience and feel like I am REALLY flying an aircraft.  If you haven't experienced MSFS in VR, you owe it to yourself to try it out.  There is no way to really understand how VR transforms the experience  without trying it.

I take it you really need to try it out in person as the youtube videos being in 2D don't really show how good VR is ?

• Upvote 1