Sign in to follow this  

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

I would not recommend using windows 10 for alder lake. As you know. These chips use the big little technology. Windows 11 specifically has thread director technology. Windows 10 only uses static level technology for such. I’ve personally seen benchmarks that show significant alder lake gains on 11 vs 10. 

Yep, I gather its not much though at present. 

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Yep, I gather its not much though at present. 

I don't gather that at all from what I've read.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

While a few months old, here is a head to head comparison of Win10 vs Win11 w/thread scheduler: 

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

12 hours ago, micstatic said:

I don't gather that at all from what I've read.  

Well, Gamers Nexus disagree. Unless you have something more current demonstrating a significant improvement in W11?

No diference acording to the video above. And worse in some applications.

Stability, as I mentioned before, is also another consideration. Makes sense  not to be an early adopter of a new OS and wait until it's a bit more mature.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Well, Gamers Nexus disagree. Unless you have something more current demonstrating a significant improvement in W11?

No diference acording to the video above. And worse in some applications.

Stability, as I mentioned before, is also another consideration. Makes sense  not to be an early adopter of a new OS and wait until it's a bit more mature.

well we are all free to make our own decisions.  Are you sure their tests had VBS turned off?  That alone nets about 10% improvement

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Most enthusiast systems don't have VBS enabled by default, so I would suspect not.

No idea though and not relevant to me, as I said, I may update to W11 when its more mature. Meanwhile, the performance I'm getting is very high, way in excess of what I need, so not relevant. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

Most enthusiast systems don't have VBS enabled by default, so I would suspect not.

No idea though and not relevant to me, as I said, I may update to W11 when its more mature. Meanwhile, the performance I'm getting is very high, way in excess of what I need, so not relevant. 

anybody who updates from Windows 10 to 11 has this turned off by default.  Fresh install windows 11 is on be default

On 2/3/2022 at 4:28 AM, martin-w said:

Do you mean hot because I'm sexy or hot because my CPU is warmer than yours? 

Hhahahaaaa... You guys made my day. I haven't been flying for a long time. But, I'm coming back in the next few days. However, I had to post here. You both have me laughing and brighten my day. 

-- I currently have and Intel 10900K and EVGA 2080 Super. With MSFS in mind.. What Processor, motherboard, and Graphics Card do you recommend ?

Ooops, sorry everyone for the multiple posts (in error). I need to delete the extra ones. Or, if the moderators can delete them, I would greatly appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, joemiller said:

Ooops, sorry everyone for the multiple posts (in error). I need to delete the extra ones. Or, if the moderators can delete them, I would greatly appreciate it. 

He does think I'm sexy by the way. 

12 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Martin!

Yes Mr Frosty, but those boys are a bit gay. Myself on the other hand... is the equivalent of a male gorilla that's had a thousand litres of testosterone injected into his veins. 

• Like 1

@martin-w

After a very long wait with life issue getting in the way, comparison studies, many measurements and a little common sense spending, I decided on getting the Thermaltake Core V71 Tempered Glass Edition E-ATX Full tower. Even though I didn't want to go with Thermaltake this time around, when measuring the front devics that I would be loading into the front top bay is much shorter than a standard dvd driver which still leaves me room to install the 3 fan radiator configuration for the cooling at the top which is what I wanted to do, It has the riser install for my GPU which will eliminate that worry of anything dripping on the GPU unlike the old setup which cause the failure to my old system. I was really stuck on the getting the  Phantek Enthoo Elite but after realizing the 360mm configuration with the drive bays and radiator despite the room would not allow me to stall the fans where I wanted them because the 2 bays side mounts were equal length of a dvd that would have block the third fan. The fact that 85 pounds empty cabinet would have been too much to deal with after the its loaded with the motherboard, power support and other things, would have landed me into the hospital from try to lift it. While it has a steep price, it made it easier for me to go lower on the spending since the cheaper option still gives me of what I needed. Although I really like Enthoo Elite, I just don't have the space for it after rethinking but it would have been nice and would have gone through a lot of trouble making room for it. I only wish they made something somewhere in the middle of the the Elite and the 719 maybe without the dual computer configuration but still have a lot of space, lighter and price somewhere on the middle might have been better.

So my cabinet is on its way so I can now focus of getting the other 2 things before I start building.

On 8/21/2022 at 3:14 AM, BobFS88 said:

After a very long wait with life issue getting in the way, comparison studies, many measurements and a little common sense spending, I decided on getting the Thermaltake Core V71 Tempered Glass Edition E-ATX Full tower.

Looks like a case with great airflow. The only thing I would consider, if you are opting for vertical graphics card mounting, is how close the cards fans are to the glass. make sure there's enough room for cooling, you don't want to choke the fans. 

I know what you mean about weight. My Evolv X, fully loaded, is VERY heavy. 

Top drive bays are a bit rare these days. I haven't utilised them for years. 

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

The only thing I would consider, if you are opting for vertical graphics card mounting, is how close the cards fans are to the glass. make sure there's enough room for cooling, you don't want to choke the fans. 

Yes sir 

I certainly will look out of that, it is very important especially with some of the uncertainty with these graphic cards these days. Thanks for that tip.

I will let you know how it comes out and can't wait to make my temperature measurements. It will be fun. 😃

• Like 1

@micstatic - Dave, are you satisfied with the 12700's performance in MSFS?

@richbonneau - how about you with the 12900?

Currently, it's a hundo price difference between the two, hoping next week with the announcement of the 13th gen, these prices will start to fall. I don't necessarily need the 13xxx series chip and am hoping that you're both happy with these two?

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |