Sign in to follow this  
nudata

SP1 Technical Issue Thread

Guest joevee

>Hi Joe..> I initially installed SP1 on my existing FSX install>and also ran into CTD issues. I then learned from Phil's blog>that you should uninstall/reinstall FSX and all related>add-ons prior to applying SP1. Once I did this no CTD. I>uninstalled through windows control panel. Good luck.>>Regards,>Mark>Thanks for the reply Mark.I've been looking for SP1 for a while but, somehow, I failed to check FS Insider this week! On a whim, I checked the site yesterday and Boom! There it was. I just downloaded SP1, expecting instructions with it but all I found was the .exe file. I guess I should have looked for instructions but none were immediately apparent on the FS Insider main page so I went ahead and installed it, with bad results.Thanks to you, I looked for Phil's instructions and eventually found them under Support on the left side (actually Performance & Support).Well, I will have to uninstall FSX, I guess. I was hoping to avoid this as I heard you can re-install FSX only so many times and I will have to re-install it again once I upgrade my components, but, for now, I have no choice because of the changes I made.Joe

Guest joevee

>Joe,I have a similar older system much like yours.I have 3hds>and run FSX on d all by itself.I made a total backup of FSX on>my external g drive.Then I installed the patch over my>existing FS on d drive.I also wondered how the patch found fs>but it said it installed ok.I am wondereing if it installed to>my backup also.Have not run it yet.I have run FS with the>patch a little and have had no problems except now I can't>defrag any of my HDs.Don't know if this is a related>problem.This time of year I am either working or on the golf>course so I really don't use FS much.But like I said so far no>problems running it but I am not so sure if the scenery is as>good.First rainy day I will compare between new and old.Still>wonder how it found FSX.Usually it says it found it and>where.Not this time.RonThanks for the reply, Ron.I also have three drives. I originally installed FSX alongside FS9 on my C-Drive, a 10,000rpm Raptor, but it's only a 30 gig affair and I soon found out I was running out of space. I used a very nice little utility called Application Mover and ported both sims to my F-Drive, a 7200rpm 120 gig one. There may be a slowdown from the Raptor but I can't honestly say I notice it. Both FS9 and FSX have been happy residents on my F-Drive for a few months, with no problems to speak of.I thank you for your suggestions but I think the simplest thing for me will be to uninstall FSX and its SDK. Hopefully, this will remove all traces of the previous installation and allow me to enjoy FSX as before.I don't know about your defrag problem as I have not tried to defrag since installing SP1. One thing is sure, though, I will defrag my sim drive a couple of times after removing FSX and the SDK and I will defrag again following FSX re-installation and before I install SP1.Right now, in my Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs folder, I see:Microsoft Flight Simulator X Size 13,345.00MbMicrosoft Flight Simulator X Photo Scenery Display Update 1.45MBMicrosoft Flight Simulator X SDK Size 14,147.00MBMicrosoft Flight Simulator X SDK Update Size 14,147.00MBRon, Why do I see the same number of megabytes for the SDK and the update? Should both be in there? What have you got in your Control Panel?Well, I have to run now but I'll look in here later on this afternoon to see if you can tell me more or if anyone can help with this. Thanks again.Joe

Guest Knikolaes

MANY MANY thanks!!!!! I appreciate that info, Ken! :-)

Guest gregul

I found a workaround for my problem!Please follow the link to the CTD-Forum to read about it.GregSwitzerland

Guest fsx_2k7

>Hi Mark!>>For FSX with SP1 it's a good idea to DISable Vsync. For me>this deminishes stutters and extreme framerate fluctuations ->it might do the same for you.>>Be well!>>Jaap Verduijn.What do you add to ur fsx.cfg file to disable vsync?

Problem:When opening a 2D panel module (radio stack) in the 3D virtual cockpit, and/or when returning to the sim from the desktop (ALT-TAB), and/or when a cockpit tooltip pops up, the simulator locks up hard. (Almost as if the sim doesn't like to display 2D items when in the 3D mode?) I get a burst of hard drive activity, and that is followed by no response by the computer. CTRL-ALT-DEL, CTRL-SHFT-ESC... none of the normal keystrokes pull anything up. A hard reset is needed. The first few times this happened I was able to send an error report to Microsoft. Subsequent occurrences have been a full lockup. EDIT: I thought this was only a FULLSCREEN vs. Windowed mode problem. I was able to duplicate the problem now in the Windowed mode, although it doesn't lock hard - I get the "Fatal Error" message. Contents:AppName: fsx.exe AppVer: 10.0.61355.0 AppStamp:4643ee0aModName: msvcr80.dll ModVer: 8.0.50727.762 ModStamp:45712238fDebug: 0 Offset: 00017440Specs:Windows XP, DirectX 9 April 2007, nVidia 93.71 DriversAth 3800+, BFG Mobo, 2GB RAM, nVidia 7900GTFSX has been reloaded on a clean system build, and the problem is repeatable. Anyone seeing anything similar?

Guest fsx_2k7

Does anyone have issues when they lock the frames? Everytime I lock my frames let's say at 30, I only hit 15fps but when I set my frames to unlimited I get over 30, what's going on??

Ted,I have similar problems. When they first load, my planes are without sunlit textures but so is the terminal and runways/taxiways. I noticed the taxiway signs seem to be lit up during mid day. It acts like the sim is trying to loadight textures for night time but the sky and other things are set to mid day.Please try this. I can hit the Alt key to display the menu in game. Then I select Options and Display. I can change the filter from whatever it is set on to one higher or lower, makes no differecne as long as I change the filter. Or, I can uncheck Anti Aliasing box. Once I do this, I hit ok and the sunlit textures are there when I get back to the game. I have not found anything that will do this except one of the 2 options above.Please try it and confirm if it works for you.Thanks,Earl

Guest thx1137

The symptoms are similar for me though I am not sure what I did to cause it. I thought it might have been due to some payware aircraft but thinking about it on some of my payware I view some of the panels in 2d and in others I don't need to so never twitch to 2d. The lock ups were in panels where I display 2d popups I think, I will keep an eye out for it.I haven't had a problem with ALT_TAB. My FSX install was brand new too.

Guest fundies

OK, now I'm a happy camper. I know everyone has their own fix tweaks for SP1 blurries/stutters, and my reply will just get lost with the others but this is how it worked for me. AF and AA checked in game, AF optimizations checked in graphics card,Vertical Sync swithched off in graphics card, triple buffering off in card, Frame rate set to unlimited in game. 99% stutter free now, and I can now use Normal autogen in city areas, very dense in country areas. Thankyou ACES for the improvement.Pentium D 945 dual core @3.7ghzSparkle Calibre 7900gs 512mb card2gb ramwindows xp.P.S. This is now a religious experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Akflyin

Hello all,While looking thru the latest posts here on avsim, I can across a suggestion about changing the values for the TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULTFIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTIONSWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT.Now, I had uninstalled FSX, Defragged the hard drive, reinstalled FSX, and without running FSX, installed the SP1. After doing this, I was really happy with what my machine was capable of, But after reading about the value changes in the above catigories in the FSX config file, I decided to try them. I backed up the original and proceeded to adjust the values. Funny thing was, the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION and the SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT were not even listed. Now, I don't know if that is because I didn't run FSX first before installing the SP1 or what, but after adding the line where they are supposed to be and making the value change, I noticed an even better flightsim environment.The settings that I used as suggested by another forum member wereTEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400 FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.25SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=20Maybe this will help someone else as well. :0)

"Funny thing was, the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION and the SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT were not even listed. Now, I don't know if that is because I didn't run FSX first before installing the SP1 or what, but after adding the line where they are supposed to be and making the value change, I noticed an even better flightsim environment."By default those items are not in the fsx.cfg, but are added manually if one desires.I believe the recommended values are:TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40 {not 400}FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33I dont have knowledge on the swap_wait_timeout

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

>I opened a topic in the CTD-Forum, so please read the details>and discuss it there if you want to contribute. Thank you.>>http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...sg_id=302&page=>>Greg>Guys, those who have CTDs, I emphatically advise to read the above post, as I was lazy and reluctant to do so first. Finally I found the method suggested there very useful for my case and can also state that there's definitely a coflict while initial loading whereas your MESH and LOD DISTANCE settings in the UI take over the whole available loading bandwidth, throwing out some other necessary bits, that can cause CTDs or unstable operation and/or further stutters.

Guest tflyingbear

Earl,I can confirm what you said is true. In addition using the Alt key to display the menu and select Options and Display and change any of the screen resolution options whether 16 or 32 bit or alternate between any two 32 bit screen resolutions the sunlight reflections return on the aircraft. But if you change screens like viewing the map options the sunlight on the aircraft disappears again. Which means you have to repeat all the keystrokes again, change something on the left side of the display box and the sunlight returns again until you change modes. Water reflections are still missing and I can not determine any settings to bring them up.Thanks for responding.Ted alias tbearflying