Sign in to follow this  
nudata

SP1 Technical Issue Thread

I just got my first O.O.M. error too.I also discovered tonight that SP1 broke the eaglesoft sr20. It either crashes or locks up the sim whenever I load a saved flight or start a new flight when selecting that plane. I have alerted eaglesoft to this.It wouldn't surprise me one bit to find that the crappy nvidia drivers were responsible for these problems. Can't you guys at MS do anything about those goons and put some heat on them to release some solid drivers?________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

>Also . . . isn't there a way yet to be able to walk around the>virtual cabin in FSX? I keep seeing developers post>screenshots of cabin views of their products in FSX, but>F1View and Activecamera are not yet compatable with FSX. Any>ideas? I was hoping this patch would enable something like>that.No patch needed for this! Use the default keyboard commands to "walk around" all you want, Chris.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest jcmckeown

The chaps from ACES have done a good job on SP1 and I second all the FPS gains I have seen in the forum.However there is definately a regression regarding texture loading... I use photo real sceneries from FranceVFR. With RTM I always used to get crystal clear textures around the aircraft with radius set to max.Now with SP1 when it itinitally loads up textures are fine but when I fly away from the initial area I start to get blurred texture tiles. I can stay in the same area and it sometimes takes 1 to 2 minutes for SP1 to load detailled tiles. Some load in time, others don't or they load behind my aircraft!Funny thing is that as soon as I start moving from the initial load position the 2nd core goes up to 100% CPU. It is obviosuly loading textures but not fast enough. It actually gets locked at 100% and never goes back down. I think the way textures are loaded needs to be reprioritized in the same way as on FSX RTM (but still keeping the benfits of using a 2nd core).I have tried increasing the fiber frame to .50 but that didn't help. I tested over and over and have confirmed the issue. I just reverted back to RTM and the blurry issues disappear.Maybe this needs closer looking into by ACES.JCMK8800 GTSRAID 0 2xRaptor 74GBCore 2 6600 @ 3.0 GHz

>Now with SP1 when it itinitally loads up textures are fine but>when I fly away from the initial area I start to get blurred>texture tiles. I can stay in the same area and it sometimes>takes 1 to 2 minutes for SP1 to load detailled tiles. Some>load in time, others don't or they load behind my aircraft!This is my exact issue, to the T. I also posted this in the blurries thread, but will post here for those who do not see that thread. For those who want to follow it the blurry thread is here:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=397357&page=With all default settings (ultra high), once I move beyond the initial zone of sharp textures I see this:http://sio.midco.net/FTP5/blurry.jpg

Followup:Added the AffinityMask=1 setting to my cfg file for my 3.2 P4 HT; reset bandwidth mult. to 40 and fiber_frame... to .33 (the defaults).Result: blurries now gone as in before SP1. If you have a single core processor, by all means at least try this setting in your config. file and experiment with other settings to see if your "blurries" disappear or are at least improved. Other notes:Although the ACES team fixed some of the glaring issues with some of the major rivers, as Phil stated they were not able to fix them all of course; consequently I put the terrain.cfg file fix back in. My Ohio River issues (as well as others) now fixed again with no apparent ill effects on scenery with SP1.I'm getting a definite FPS improvement; hard to say exactly how much because I adjusted many settings such as water, AI traffic settings, aircraft shadows, etc. in an effort to see how much I could add graphically and at what cost. I did not like the "blurries" issue but the AffinityMask tweak fixes that. (Thanks Bill for the heads up).I fly GA 95% of the time and enjoy my scenery; hence I want autogen enabled. Pre SP1 I found a great compromise in using Matt's autogendescription file tweak, the default.xml tweaked file (not disabling it), and turning "off" the roofdescriptions.spb file.(As a reminder this turns "off" your residential houses in autogen). I then set my trees to 4500 and buildings to 300 and maxed my autogen setting in the sim. The result: with 1 meter texture resolution I get max trees, many special autogen buildings and structures, and because of the 1 meter resolution 3D effect residential houses all look like they are there in the sim although the autogen houses are turned off. A very realistic looking effect, at least for me.With SP1 I've bumped up my trees to 6000, set buildings to 500 and turned off the roofdescriptions.spb file again to achieve the same effect I had pre-SP1, and added a bit of AI traffic that I had to turn down before. I still prefer the water off setting and will until I upgrade my machine and can have water turned all the way up. Until then I prefer the look of the water off setting, it seems more natural to me overall. The overall result: same FPS, but with some added graphics and sim effects.I will be watching to see if Matt Fox puts out any changes or modified autogen and default.xml files for SP1, or if he even thinks they are necessary. In the mean time I'll be using the above noted "fixes" and enjoying FSX.One other fix I'm very glad to have: the dawn/dusk lighting update! It makes a huge difference, at least to me at dawn/dusk transition time. Thanks Phil!Sorry for the long winded post, but I hope this might be somewhat useful to at least a few fellow simmers with a single core machine.Happy flying!

Ken

Guest guest123

>With SP1 I got serious display corruption after a while in>flight. It seems to happen with autogen enabled. I have an ATI>9800 and 2gb ram 2.8ghz cpu. Just refreshed installed FSX +>SP1. Fibre at 0.33. 2m ground textures, 76m terrain, smallest>detail radius.>>See images. It flickers around the aircraft and can be seen>outside and inside cockpit. It's intermittent and worsen the>more autogen/objects is on screen. When I change view it>disappear just to come back after a while. Also light blue>(water?) rectangles sometimes is seen on the ground. They also>disappear when scenery textures autoloads.> >This never happened before in FSX or FS9.>>I'm stuck at what to do. Any help appreciated.>/Mats>>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/171752.jpg>>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/171754.jpg>>I have the same problem....any suggestions? or did this sp1 ruin fsx

Guest Knikolaes

>>Also . . . isn't there a way yet to be able to walk around>the>>virtual cabin in FSX? I keep seeing developers post>>screenshots of cabin views of their products in FSX, but>>F1View and Activecamera are not yet compatable with FSX. >Any>>ideas? I was hoping this patch would enable something like>>that.>>No patch needed for this! Use the default keyboard commands>to "walk around" all you want, Chris.>I must be losing my mind then. I punch the number pad all I want and I don't move at all. Hopefully Activecamera will have an update soon to enable this.For the OOM errors that folks here are having -- what is the time reference for the OOM? I flew for 30 mins without an OOM error, but the sim did have occasional stutters . . . .

>>>Also . . . isn't there a way yet to be able to walk around>>the>>>virtual cabin in FSX? I keep seeing developers post>>>screenshots of cabin views of their products in FSX, but>>>F1View and Activecamera are not yet compatable with FSX. >>Any>>>ideas? I was hoping this patch would enable something like>>>that.>>>>No patch needed for this! Use the default keyboard commands>>to "walk around" all you want, Chris.>>>>I must be losing my mind then. I punch the number pad all I>want and I don't move at all. Hopefully Activecamera will>have an update soon to enable this.>>For the OOM errors that folks here are having -- what is the>time reference for the OOM? I flew for 30 mins without an OOM>error, but the sim did have occasional stutters . . . . Try the Cntrl-Enter Cntrl Backspace to move forward and back, Cntrl/Shift-Enter and Back to go side to side and Shift- Enter and back to move up and down!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

This doesn't look like an AA problem, it looks like your sim reverted to 16bit color. I had this happen once, turned out to be a corrupted graphic driver.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

>Well apperently - the "out of memory" issue is still there.>It has just happened to me. 15-20 min. out north of KSEA in>the Aerosoft Beaver.>I'm not sure if this is an issue with the FSX(Clean install>then SP1)Maybe it's the Beaver, Vista, Nvidia (8800 GTX), my>E6700 or a combinations of things. I have 4 Gbyte of>memory????>>I believe that I've read somewhere that the NVidia driver>might be responsible for the "out of memory" error. >Right now I'm lost - I need to do some more testing.If you have the BufferPool tweak in your fsx.cfg try removing it! That has caused this issue for me pre SP1, sim would slow down to a crawl, in some cases the graphics would be corrupted followed by an OOME. Removing it solved this issue. Post SP1 I put it back and so far no issue on my rig. I have seen one problem, as stated in above posts, if I fly in a dense area like New York, I would get scenery corruption. This though, seems to only happen with FSX default aircraft. I can fly FS9 aircraft all I want with no problem. If your Beaver was made for FSX, maybe your problem is related. Also it doesn't appear to be related to the BufferPool issue, as it happens even without it.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Guest jazzyrider

First, my frame rates and overall performance is up. And this is on a single core system. Nothing high end yet since I'll be building a new system at the end of this month. And now onto my issue(s)...- When installing SP1, I received an error "1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime." Not sure how it came up but SP1 installed and seems to be running fine. I'll try uninstalling SP1 and FSX and re-installing these again.- Seems I can't capture shots using the 'V' key. Anyone else seeing the same thing? I can only speculate SP1 caused this since it happened AFTER SP1 was installed. I was always able to capture shots before SP1. Anyway, hope someone is able to help or point me in the right direction.

Guest Spud

>>>>Like I mentioned before, everything outside of the plane is>>sharp, just the standard cockpit view is blurry. Virtual>>Cockpit is sharp as well.>>>>>>I would try disabling SLI and see if that fixes it.>>>Rhett>>AMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS>A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150>gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb>5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster PraetorianThis is a new problem since SP1...Didn't have the issue pre-sp1 release. Plus, I didn't buy an extra vid card to disable it to fly a graphics intensive program!! It's not a big deal because I don't fly in 2D anymore, but it is strange none-the-less...I might try updating my drivers since I don't think I've done that in a while...I'll report back...

>And does the bandwidth mult have to be set to 40 in fsx.cfg in>order to see these fps improvements?Only if you encounter stutters with higher values. Of course you choose what works best for your system.Heiko

>thats the 2nd report of that weather issue, I have sent it>around to investigate.>No problems yet over here.Heiko

>I fly GA 95% of the time and enjoy my scenery; hence I want>autogen enabled. Pre SP1 I found a great compromise in using>Matt's autogendescription file tweak, the default.xml tweaked>file (not disabling it), and turning "off" the>roofdescriptions.spb file.(As a reminder this turns "off" your>residential houses in autogen).Good post, Ken. I'm using some of Matt's autogendescriptions, but have not seen tweaked default.xml. Where can I get it?Thanks.