Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

GTN 750 choices are heating up!

7 hours ago, kenny584 said:

I am using the WT G1000NXi in the default aircraft fleet and I read that I should only use the 750 with the default G1000. It looks like my only option for the 750 is to purchase one of the supported aircraft as per their home page. Is that correct? Or am I misreading the various options in the home page?

Regards...kenny.

In my G1000 equipped aircraft, I continue to use the G1000 NXi.

In my Carenado Seminole/Mooney/C337, I use the PMS GTN 750.

In my Turbo Arrow, I will be using the TDS GTN 750, as soon as Justflight releases the update.

They can all co-exist in MSFS.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bert

4 hours ago, kmasmael said:

My understanding is that if you use any aircraft that uses the WT G1000NXI do not put this mod in the community folder.

You do not need to purchase any of the supported aircrafts unless you want the instrument placed in the cockpit panel.

You can use it on any aircraft with steam gauges by selecting the instrument from the in game panel menu.

The ONLY time you don't want the G1000 NXi is if you're using the TDS GTN with the G1000.  I'm really sure why anyone would do that though...Just use the G1000 NXi in aircraft where irl there would exist a G1000 - WT has done a great job with it.

Use the TDS GTN for analogue planes (or planes with the G3X) - I know nothing is here quite yet but there are at least 6 separate products which will feature it nearly complete.  And then potentially Carenado or user mods hehe. 😉

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

You set up a simple folder, like D:\MSFSaddons and copy your addon folders there.

No need to copy anything to the Community folder, ever..

oh, yeah, but if you update you still get overwrite errors like he mentioned, but yeah, true! 🙂 I still spend a long time going through the list of addons but yeah

Edited by Victoroos

Victor Roos

On 2/20/2022 at 4:52 PM, Bert Pieke said:

PMS50 has said that Asobo is working on making the GSI needle "accessable", but in the interim, they are going to provide an optional GSI along the right side of the GTN map.. good approach IMHO!

And as of V13, this "interim" feature is working!   This is just getting better and better.. 😉

Bert

does the TDS GTN work in VR, integrated into the cockpits already supported and stand alone for all other airplanes? how is readability?

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

15 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

The ONLY time you don't want the G1000 NXi is if you're using the TDS GTN with the G1000.  I'm really sure why anyone would do that though...Just use the G1000 NXi in aircraft where irl there would exist a G1000 - WT has done a great job with it.

Use the TDS GTN for analogue planes (or planes with the G3X) - I know nothing is here quite yet but there are at least 6 separate products which will feature it nearly complete.  And then potentially Carenado or user mods hehe. 😉

Hi Ryan and Bert. You are correct of course. My initial thought was for the default Baron G58 that I currently fly with the WT NXi. There are, of course, aircraft like the C172 where the 750 would be a natural fit for GA. Things are happening so fast now with the sim. It's wonderful. Thanks for your input.

Regards...Kenny.

Ok, here goes, i understand the G1000 NXi and have been using it well in the Kodiak. What do these other systems bring guys? Is AP and route planning all included in these systems ( I could never get the PMS free version to work at all . (Likely my complete lack of understanding of the system)

What is the considered opinion of either ( I use Navigraph) But i also note that the Garmin based TDS GTN seems more feature ready. I prefer glass cockpits (Probably due to not ever being a RWP) and would like to integrate one of these systems in the likes of Just Flights Arrow etc.

So i am really hoping one of these systems bring full Auto pilot, planning, etc.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

1 hour ago, Car147 said:

Ok, here goes, i understand the G1000 NXi and have been using it well in the Kodiak. What do these other systems bring guys? Is AP and route planning all included in these systems ( I could never get the PMS free version to work at all . (Likely my complete lack of understanding of the system)

What is the considered opinion of either ( I use Navigraph) But i also note that the Garmin based TDS GTN seems more feature ready. I prefer glass cockpits (Probably due to not ever being a RWP) and would like to integrate one of these systems in the likes of Just Flights Arrow etc.

So i am really hoping one of these systems bring full Auto pilot, planning, etc.

If you Ike to fly glass cockpits then the gtn750 is the best of the best. You can just quickly navigate on the touch screen without knobs.

Flight planning is interconnected to each of the pages and you can edit the fields to show the info you care about. Vnav is extremely valuable as a before descent tool so you can understand your vertical nav profile. Entering arrivals and approaches quickly and easily is also quite useful. Waypoint info, traffic, weather (Sirius xm weather and radio in the real world with a subscription) means you have everything at your fingertips.

Connected to an engine monitor you can even see a fuel ring to understand your range (both out of fuel and your 45 min line). 

The “direct to” button is easily accessible with both nearest and flight plan waypoint options  

the xi offers faster load times and a sharper image. The new “smart guide” system allows pilots to see the best path to the nearest airport accounting for winds and elevation. 

I’ve flown with the gtn 750 for the last 7 years and the g1000 the prior 5 years. As a techie the gtn is a versatile system that is well designed and reliable. Having it coupled with flightstream 510 means I update all my nav data through my phone and the garmin pilot app. 

As for flight sim, I’ve flown with the pms version and it’s ok. It got a big upgrade utilizing the WT nxi flight planning, but is still missing some features but does link to your Navigraph system. The tds utilizes the trainer, and while I haven’t used it in the sim, it means everything should be functional. It uses garmins nav data which on the trainer is usually outdated (I think). I paid 75 for the pms so I’m staying put. The developer has thankfully continued to update it. 

Edited by Ajb376
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Divij said:

Is there any way to get European Nav Data and Airport Diagrams on the TDS gtn750? 

If you have money hehe.  It's pretty pricey but not horrible if you're just getting Euro data.  Google Garmin navdata.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Just now, Divij said:

Is there any way to get European Nav Data and Airport Diagrams on the TDS gtn750? 

Just to clarify, the navdata is AIRAC 2104 from May 2021. That encompasses navaids, fixes, VORs, approaches etc. for the whole world.

Safe Taxi Diagrams are also available for the whole world.

The only thing only available for US airports are the integrated Jeppesen charts.

And another point about the navdata: AIRAC 2104 is plenty recent enough, nothing much has changed since then. In case there are new procedures for the airport you're flying to: Mostly, these are renamings of old procedures and most likely consist of already existing waypoints. In that case, you can either check what the old name in the database has been changed to and proceed accordingly, or you enter the waypoints manually from the chart for the new (renamed) procedure. 

Example: EDDF has changed the naming of its transitions a few months back (a process which is in progress for all major airports in Germany). The former transitions are now RNAV arrivals, so technically STARs. As a result, the former KERAX25N transition has now become the KERAX3A arrival. In the TDS with navdata from 05/2021, you will not find KERAX3A, only KERAX25N. But a look at the chart tells you: The waypoints are exactly identical, only the name has changed. 

I've gotten used to working around a somewhat older AIRAC cycle, since the RXP units for X-Plane have the exact same issue. But it's really no problem. And even if I encounter some waypoints that aren't in the database, just tell the controller "unable" (on VATSIM e.g.). For me, that's not reason enough to miss out on an addon that works 99 % like the real thing, a very, very rare occurence in the flightsim world.

Edited by psychedelic_tortilla

Intel i7-10700K @ 4.7 GHz | Nvidia RTX 3070 FE | 32GB DDR4 RAM 

Hi all,

I'm thinking to pick up the TDS GTNXi and use it with the JF Arrow. Coming from RealityXP in P3D and XP, do you think the experience is similarly realistic with the TDS? Also, do you think there is a chance RXP makes one as well after TDS?

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

26 minutes ago, psychedelic_tortilla said:

The only thing only available for US airports are the integrated Jeppesen charts.

Just to clarify - the charts in the Garmin trainer are not Jeppesen charts but the free standard FAA charts.

• Like 1

Stephen O'Connell

7 minutes ago, stephendoc said:

Just to clarify - the charts in the Garmin trainer are not Jeppesen charts but the free standard FAA charts.

Right - they are NACO plates.  But I think you can buy Jepp charts too....pricey though.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |