Sign in to follow this  
Flysimware

Report Cessna 414AW Chancellor issues

Could somebody please give me a discord link as all the other ones seem to have expired. Many thanks

Terence Jordan

So I downloaded the most recent build. Issues still existing with the autopilot with the PMS GTN750:

1. In IAS mode with the ALT Alert set, the autopilot blows through the set altitude by 300 ft. Descending in VS mode captures it correctly. When it blows through it in IAS, the autopilot sows ALT and the correct set/captured altitude, but the altimeter reads 300 higher. (Note: with a 29.92 the pressure altitude is also reading 300 higher that what's displayed as captured on the autopilot)

2. You still need to be in APR mode to capture a VOR radial. Just being in VOR mode doesn't do anything - the AP blows right through the radial and will keep going straight forever. Definitely not expected behavior.

3. You can't change altitude while following a VOR - I suspect this is related to #2. When in VOR mode, I can go into VS or IAS as expected, but VOR mode doesn't actually follow the VOR. In APR mode (displayed on the unit a "VAPP"), you can't go into either IAS or VS - IAS button does nothing and VS switches to ROL mode. Might be expected behavior as APR/VAPP is meant for ILS/LOC though I wonder if I fly on a LOC without vertical guidance if I'd be unable to to change altitudes to follow the approach plate.

Overall great progress and a great plane. Just need to iron out this AP code...

7 hours ago, wrfly28 said:

Is there any new update that fixed it? Don't know of any. 

I'm told FSW expects the next C414 update to be out by next Monday or Tuesday.

Al

Edited by ark

And one more:

4. It captures the ILS fine, turns on course and starts descent when it captures the glideslope. But then for some reason it descends well past the glideslope and eventually will crash the plane into the ground. The AP still shows "LOC GS" on the display - right into the turf. The glideslope indicator on the HSI and on the PMS GTN750 both show descending along and then below the glideslope - it just never seems to correct as it goes below. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Grothauser said:

And one more:

4. It captures the ILS fine, turns on course and starts descent when it captures the glideslope. But then for some reason it descends well past the glideslope and eventually will crash the plane into the ground. The AP still shows "LOC GS" on the display - right into the turf. The glideslope indicator on the HSI and on the PMS GTN750 both show descending along and then below the glideslope - it just never seems to correct as it goes below. 

What I have found is you need to watch the glideslope and then either add power so it will climb back up on glidepath or reduce to descend to capture it again.  Shouldn't have to do it but it's one way to fly an ILS until they get it fixed.

27 minutes ago, Grothauser said:

But then for some reason it descends well past the glideslope and eventually will crash the plane into the ground. The AP still shows "LOC GS" on the display - right into the turf.

Can confirm this with TDS GTNXi, so doesn't seem to be related to the GTN used.

Was really surprised what was going on, all looked fine until maybe 1nm to the treshold.

Not an issue, but a request.

Could we have brighter landing and taxi lights?

That way, I could see further down the taxiway and runway.

• Upvote 1

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

Views using the Honeycomb Alpha HAT switch.

When I use the Honeycomb Alpha HAT to change views (pressing UP or DOWN), the view only changes to below the plane (looking at the front gear) or cockpit view.

With other planes, the pressing the hat button UP (the first time), the view changes up and looking over the nose (landing mode). Pressing the hat button DOWN, I cycle between normal cockpit view, looking at the lower panels, looking at the radio panels, etc.

Does anyone know if there Is a way to change the HAT assignment views to this?

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

On 4/2/2022 at 10:44 AM, Sender46 said:

I've just taken off, climbing out in hand at about 1,000FPM then selected autopilot and it automatically went to ROL / PIT mode and maintained that attitude as expected.  Hit ALT at 3500ft and it levelled out there as expected.

I then centred the heading bug and hit HDG, which worked correctly but now the heading bug will only adjust in increments of 10 degrees.  I've seen this once before but most times this has worked correctly.

EDIT:  And the CDI adjustment on the HSI is also now in 10 degree increments (same flight).

Hey, I experienced this bug for the first time today when starting ready for takeoff on the runway (the first time I've ever tried anything but starting cold and dark). I wonder if it's in any way related? Did you start ready for takeoff? Or alternatively, do you use the tablet shortcuts for different states? 

23 minutes ago, happydappyman said:

Hey, I experienced this bug for the first time today when starting ready for takeoff on the runway (the first time I've ever tried anything but starting cold and dark). I wonder if it's in any way related? Did you start ready for takeoff? Or alternatively, do you use the tablet shortcuts for different states? 

I started cold and dark without using any tablet shortcuts.

I had it happen again today during a flight (again from cold and dark). It was OK initially then reverted to 10 degree increments during the flight.  Then later in the flight for no apparent reason it fixed itself and worked correctly for the rest of the flight.  I don't know if I did something that fixed it.  Strange.

Edited by Sender46

1 hour ago, Sender46 said:

I started cold and dark without using any tablet shortcuts.

I had it happen again today during a flight (again from cold and dark). It was OK initially then reverted to 10 degree increments during the flight.  Then later in the flight for no apparent reason it fixed itself and worked correctly for the rest of the flight.  I don't know if I did something that fixed it.  Strange.

Yeah this is a known issue for msfs. When using specific hardware if there's a button being pressed somewhere, it makes the HSI only work in 10 degree increments. Except my hardware hasn't changed and no other plane is doing it. Perhaps there's something in the planes program that is looking like a button being held down to msfs?

Man I took the plunge and bought the "TDS GTNix" and no problem with the VOR to VOR anymore.

But now I just can't get to lock on the ILS!!!! I tried many of them and no lock. The needle moves but the plane won't follow!!

8 minutes ago, rolly said:

Man I took the plunge and bought the "TDS GTNix" and no problem with the VOR to VOR anymore.

But now I just can't get to lock on the ILS!!!! I tried many of them and no lock. The needle moves but the plane won't follow!!

same here 😞

51 minutes ago, happydappyman said:

Yeah this is a known issue for msfs. When using specific hardware if there's a button being pressed somewhere, it makes the HSI only work in 10 degree increments. Except my hardware hasn't changed and no other plane is doing it. Perhaps there's something in the planes program that is looking like a button being held down to msfs?

Hmmm, I think you're about a year out of date there.

It WAS a known MSFS bug that any peripheral that had on/on toggle switches caused the heading bug, altitude, VOR dials etc to move in 10 degrees (or 1000ft for altitude) if a toggle switch was constantly repeating or on.  But that bug was fixed in World Update 4.

I'm using a Yoko yoke and Thrustmaster TQS, with no toggle switch assignments other than autopilot on/off on the yoke (which I don't use with the C414 anyway because that doesn't work with the C414 yet).  It's the same hardware and the same switch assignments that I've been using with other aircraft and never had the 10 degree increment problem before.

So it appears more credible to me that it may be something in the C414's programming as you suggest, rather than an MSFS issue.