Sign in to follow this  
Scimiter

DC Designs Concorde on sale.

38 minutes ago, anden145 said:

Thanks a lot, @Ray Proudfoot for all your comments and insight and help with this aircraft.

Two questions, though:

1. I managed to fly a route from LHR-JFK, although (I must have set something up wrong!) I - around midway - had no way of trimming the aircraft, as both my trim-tanks were empty, and I couldn't (for the life of me) figure out how to pump fuel from the other tanks to the trim-tanks? If that's even possible?
  2. How do you know what the optimum cruise altitude is? Is there some rule of thumb to go by or, is there somewhere I can see it?

Thanks again, Ray for all your help.

By trim tanks do you mean 9, 10 and 11? See my earlier reply about how the fuel in those is managed.

Tank 11 should only receive fuel from 9 and 10 purely for controlling CG. It gets transferred forward to 5 and 8 during the descent and is empty before landing.

Concorde climbs until reaching its ceiling of FL600. Because of the warm upper air that was rarely achieved on the JFK hop. FL550-580 is the normal range. You continue to drift upwards until reaching the decel point. It never “cruised” below FL600.

If you’re hitting FL600 regularly that indicates air that is far too cool or engines too powerful. What is the ISA temp above FL500? Note it and report back.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

26 minutes ago, DJJose said:

I've watched this video, but have no idea if it's SOP:

It’s pretty good for explaining how you move fuel. Operating pump switches and Inlet Valves is key. In real ops the guarded Fuel Transfer Switch would be used with other switches being in Auto mode.

But once tank 11 starts to be used for moving fuel forward it goes to tanks 5 and 8 with only a small amount (100-150kg) going to 9 for CG purposes.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

How are you all getting on? Plenty of successful flights I trust.

I’ve watched a few YT videos and a few stuck out for the wrong reasons. One had the aircraft at FL500 but still subsonic. 😳 What on earth was going on there I have no idea.

Another didn’t turn off the reheats until Mach 2 was achieved. How on earth he didn’t run out of fuel I know not.

And a third had no commentary at all. So how is anyone meant to learn anything. Self-promotion seems to be his overriding priority.

Another seemed to be doing okay from EGLL to KJFK but you reach the accel point within 30 mins but way beyond that he was still over land and because no map was ever shown I had no idea what his routing was. Again, not very helpful to anyone wanting to learn how to fly Concorde properly.

I cannot emphasise enough the importance to stick to the rules.

Optimum subsonic altitude before supersonic flight is FL280, Mach 0.95.

Reheats on for transonic climb and they must go off at Mach 1.7.

To get the range you must decelerate to 350Kts IAS before following a fixed descent path where throttles are reduced at specific points.

Only if you follow those steps will you complete the flight as the real pilots did.

Ray, after the latest update i successfully flew the EGLL-KJFK route.  The AFCS was stable following the checklists that DC Designs has integrated into the sim....different in some ways to how FSL works but got the job done without much stress.  Also following the checklist to manage the fuel and keep the CofG between the white lines.  Afterburners on for 1min15 and then at UPGAS up to Mach 1.7.  I was easily able to get the aircraft to Mach 2.0 and in cruise climb.  I did the flight a day or two after you warned of high ISA temps and had a temp of +2 which resulted in a top alt of just above FL540.  Descent and approach were as expected although a but tough to manage without the ability to set a TLA angle for the throttles.  Hand flying the landing from about 12 miles out was very nice and stable, approach at 180 knots and touchdown at 165 knots with 18,000 kgs of fuel remaining. 

• Like 7

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

@MarkW, well done! Everyone can now direct their questions to you as you have experience of flying the DCD model. 😁👍

I’ve found throttle settings of 94% N2 and 77% at Mach 1.5 work well in P3D. Is there a decel / descent calculator supplied so users can work out when to start the procedure?

ISA of +2 sounds pretty standard as does FL540. Useful reference points for newbies to use.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Looks like you're all having fun with Concorde and the refinements are working well, with Concorde becoming more accurate 🙂  Thanks @MarkW for the help with testing and for the feedback, we're getting there one step at a time.

v1.0.3 will be the last update for a little while. I'm near burned-out as Concorde is a lot to take on with such a small team, but the feedback has been wonderful so far with no real negative commentary and many great previews, reviews and tutorials / videos showing up across YouTube and elsewhere.

v.1.0.4 will focus on any further bug fixes or errors on my part, and also on finer details in the instruments that are not present yet ( barber pole, speed bugs, gauge drums and so on ) to bring Concorde ever closer to a faithful representation of the real airplane, while staying within the remit of a "Concorde for everybody". The exterior textures and modeling will also be enhanced now we have time to focus on the pretty bits  🙂

Cheers all, DC

P.S. We have had some indirect input and advice from a former Concorde pilot, which has also been very helpful!

Edited by DC1973
PS
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@MarkW, well done! Everyone can now direct their questions to you as you have experience of flying the DCD model. 😁👍

I’ve found throttle settings of 94% N2 and 77% at Mach 1.5 work well in P3D. Is there a decel / descent calculator supplied so users can work out when to start the procedure?

ISA of +2 sounds pretty standard as does FL540. Useful reference points for newbies to use.

There is no decel/descent calculator.  I basically used the standard of 200 nm out, about 50 miles from KENDA.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

44 minutes ago, MarkW said:

There is no decel/descent calculator.  I basically used the standard of 200 nm out, about 50 miles from KENDA.

Understood. The return flight has a subsonic leg as it has to be under Mach 1 55nm off the North Devon coast. I look forward to hearing how you get on with that.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

That's the beauty of the simulator freedom, no? You can thunder her with Mach 2.0 over Australia in the Singapore livery without fearing any complaints from annyoed citizens of AUS or even seeing a fighter jet next to your wingtip for violating several rules. At least that is my next flight in the sim: WSSS - YMML. Just because I can. WIll need some fuel saving ideas for this leg, I guess 😉

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

35 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Understood. The return flight has a subsonic leg as it has to be under Mach 1 55nm off the North Devon coast. I look forward to hearing how you get on with that.

Might be a while, just purchased the Chancellor so will be spending some time lower and slower!

• Like 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

2 hours ago, DC1973 said:

Looks like you're all having fun with Concorde and the refinements are working well, with Concorde becoming more accurate 🙂  Thanks @MarkW for the help with testing and for the feedback, we're getting there one step at a time.

v1.0.3 will be the last update for a little while. I'm near burned-out as Concorde is a lot to take on with such a small team, but the feedback has been wonderful so far with no real negative commentary and many great previews, reviews and tutorials / videos showing up across YouTube and elsewhere.

v.1.0.4 will focus on any further bug fixes or errors on my part, and also on finer details in the instruments that are not present yet ( barber pole, speed bugs, gauge drums and so on ) to bring Concorde ever closer to a faithful representation of the real airplane, while staying within the remit of a "Concorde for everybody". The exterior textures and modeling will also be enhanced now we have time to focus on the pretty bits  🙂

Cheers all, DC

P.S. We have had some indirect input and advice from a former Concorde pilot, which has also been very helpful!

Thanks, that's great News, i love this AddOn from a Concorde for MSFS !

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Are the engine reheats on in the upper or the lower position? Somehow afterburners go on and off without any logic to me...

This is my nly criticism so far: the tooltips are not consequently done, sometimes they indicate the result of switching, sometimes the current status... 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

On 4/14/2022 at 11:58 AM, DC1973 said:

Short Concorde fan-made movie

The talent of some people out there leaves me stunned, sometimes. 

Great Vid, well done, fits the emotions to the Concorde perfekt.. 

cheers 😉

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

8 hours ago, AnkH said:

Are the engine reheats on in the upper or the lower position?

In the real Concorde the upper position was on and the lower position, off.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I want to get rid of my copilot, how can I do it ? (have no problem with female pilots )