Sign in to follow this  
deepstar

Trains

What about Subways?

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

I used to think the same way, but using the drone camera changed my opinion.

Waiting for the day when it's possible to create "mash-ups" of different games: say MSFS with GTA, or Call of Duty, or MSFS + Train simulator.

YESSS..., great idea! Dream on or imagine: Flying from X to Y with some cargo. Then you leave the plane and bring the cargo to factory in A. with "ATS/ETS2" as a truckdriver. After delivery you take a taxi  "Driver" and has an exiting drive. Your car went total loss, then you take the "TrainZ" back to your airport. Then you just 'Fly away' and had a nice day ... yeah.. YEAHH.. ;-))

9 hours ago, Bdub22 said:

Im probably missing something or perhaps Im just too old to understand why people like it, but whats up with modeling the inside of airports and in this instance...trains? Doesn't it eat a bunch of resources in the scenery to model arrival/departure boards inside of an airport? Do people just drone camera throughout an airport to see what it looks like while their plane refuels? 

like Lord Farrington said, different strokes different folks. Same reason why model railway enthusiasts go to the trouble of meticulously modelling stations, towns, and so much other stuff in the trains' environment... all about increasing their immersion I guess. Those who're getting these detailed add-ons either have the computing power to handle the increased scenery detail or are probably willing to forego some fps for it.

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Imagine clicking on a rendered store front or other POI and popping up their live website!  Or ordering a real pizza for home delivery from an airport concession!

MSFS is a virtual world currently focused on flight simulation.  But it's starting to change.  Just follow the money!

1 hour ago, sweetmusic said:

MSFS is a virtual world currently focused on flight simulation.  But it's starting to change.  Just follow the money!

Absolutely! I realized this the first time I started up MSFS. It is a revolutionary advance that will have impact in ways we may not even imagine -- yet.  This is about much more than flight simulation.

• Like 3

The overall possibilities are endless; I envisage a world where the Euro Tuck Sim guys port their stuff over to MSFS, where I can land at Silverstone and drive round the track with racing physics on a laser scanned surface, where I can jump on a yacht in Monaco and sail to Tunisia...and all in VR. Metaverse? MSFSverse more like!

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

6 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

Imagine that, landing at an airport in a war torn part of the world and you have a Call of Duty battle taking place all around you. As long as there are no Fortnite “build battles” taking place on the runway.

That would be awful. I do not want spawn campers sitting at the gate waiting for my A320 to appear so they can blow it up. 😉

11 hours ago, Bdub22 said:

but whats up with modeling the inside of airports and in this instance...trains?

The inside of airport thing, people like to bop around with the drone cam and look at the scenery. Personally I wish it wasn't a drone cam. I'd like MSFS to give us a real FPS-style walking interface and a hangar(s) that we could walk around in, looking at the airplanes without the awkward controls of the drone cam. You know if that happened outfits like A2A would include an actual walkaround in the preflight, which would be awesome. They could include a RNG which would occasionally cause something to be wrong that could be caught on preflight, and if you don't catch it, it will catch you in the air - which would also be fantastic. Preflight checklists are a little bit... Pointless right now in many cases. You load a plane and with few exceptions it's gonna start in 100% perfect condition and will probably stay that way the entire flight whether you do a proper preflight or not. Giving me a reason to - and the ability to - do a true walkaround would add to the immersion, I think. 

Expanding on that, you could walk down the jet bridge to the plane and sit in the cockpit, or pop down the stairs to do the copilot's walkaround. A sufficiently detailed airport would even let you go into the pilot's lounge and grab the pre-flight briefing materials, etc. 

• Like 2

We need a "study Level" train set.   http://www.run8studios.com/

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I would laso add that the "inside of the airport thing" is perfectly setup for VR; wandering around with your own avatars, meeting and greetting other players. Wandering through the terminals to your Plane, wallking around the outside inspecting, walking up the stairs into the cockpit etc etc. It's all possible and this platform *could* be the one to push us there, again this could be a Metaverse type thing.

Dreams are there to be had, but personally I highly doubt any of the above will happen with this particular Sim.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

6 hours ago, GaryK said:

King Kong swiped some biplanes out of the sky on top of the Empire State Building

That's one confirmed sale if it makes it out the labs.

3 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

hopefully a combined world of both flight and trains. The key to this would be to render the ground-level view of the world in more detail, especially the photogrammetry and/or autogen... perhaps when in "ground mode" more details can be served up from their cloud to our machines but restricted to a certain radius since the view distance/angles is completely different than when flying, so as to keep hardware/networking resource use manageable.

And that would be wondeful as well. One of the many things I still love about X-Plane is its freeways and rail networks. Great fun to follow in a chopper. MSFS is way behind in that aspect (but way ahead in everything else for me)

7 hours ago, Lord Farringdon said:

So you can see the interior rendering of many iconic airports is just another awesome outcome of this simulator. There is something for everyone but as I say, different folks, different strokes.  Oh did I mention giraffes, whales, birds.......

And I'll echo everything Terry said here as well.

Can't stop to talk longer, got to go and install my latest "FS Birds" package (France and Spain) - another little treat that really feels like it adds good vibes to me.

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

12 hours ago, Bdub22 said:

Im probably missing something or perhaps Im just too old to understand why people like it, but whats up with modeling the inside of airports and in this instance...trains? Doesn't it eat a bunch of resources in the scenery to model arrival/departure boards inside of an airport? Do people just drone camera throughout an airport to see what it looks like while their plane refuels? 

For VFR flying, trains and vehicles are important.  It can be difficult to spot a road or railway through trees, but movement will help show where these are.  

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

5 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

What about Subways?

5 hours ago, mrueedi said:

They are all there...

Even a few KFCs, McDonalds and the odd Pret a Manger and Wendy's😉

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

For VFR flying, trains and vehicles are important.  It can be difficult to spot a road or railway through trees, but movement will help show where these are.  

Agree!  Being able to adjust tree height, fullness and density is the key.  After dark, I would expect trains to have headlights and passenger lighting.

3 hours ago, MarcG said:

The overall possibilities are endless; I envisage a world where the Euro Tuck Sim guys port their stuff over to MSFS, where I can land at Silverstone and drive round the track with racing physics on a laser scanned surface, where I can jump on a yacht in Monaco and sail to Tunisia...and all in VR. Metaverse? MSFSverse more like!

As a matter of fact, I recently traversed the Erie Canal in a speedboat and drove up the Mt. Washington road to the summit in a Mercedes. (I have climbed this mountain on foot in real life, and it's a lot tougher!). A while back I hang-glided off the summit of Everest, which I have not done in RL. (Yes, I do also fly).

Edited by cobalt
  • Like 1