Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

SU9 is all but the death nail for VR

There are 3 main problems I see with VR:

The mouse is not perfectly trapped in the first screen if you use more then 1 screen. This way the mouse can go along the edge of the second monitor and click stuff there. This in turn can click links, start videos or cause MSFS to lose focus. Then you can't click on anything anymore until you click on the MSFS window again. And often I don't even notice that happening. And since I need the second screen when I don't fly in VR (for example IFR cruise) it is not a good solution to switch it off. This would make the second problem even worse, because it would add even more steps. 

The second one is VR mode not remembering window size and position. Whoever thought after flying even a single time in VR not to have windows be persistent between flights must be mad. I often fly like this: VR mode, flat mode, VR mode. So nearly every single flight I have 2 set up each window 3 times. And each of them always starts way too small. 

And then steam VR absolutely tanking performance in flat mode. So you need to end VR and then always close steam VR manually. That could be a Steam VR issue ofc, but is still annoying as hell. 

49 minutes ago, kakihara123 said:

The mouse is not perfectly trapped in the first screen if you use more then 1 screen.

It is for me. You just have to run MSFS in full screen mode and it does not escape the bounds of the MSFS screen when in focus in VR.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

15 minutes ago, Reset XPDR said:

It is for me. You just have to run MSFS in full screen mode and it does not escape the bounds of the MSFS screen when in focus in VR.

Yeah but full screen mode has other drawbacks. Sad enough that borderless window is not possible. I use that for every game that has it.

They fixed .... nothing for VR users in current Todays WU9 😞 .

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, YoYo said:

They fixed .... nothing for VR users in current Todays WU9 😞 .

They stopped fixing bugs with World Updates some time ago as that brought their own problems, personally I prefer WUs to be just that and nothing else. It's bad enough worrying about what they'll break each Sim Update!

• Like 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

There was no VR changes in SU-VIII or SU-IX, maybe FS2020 SU-X 😜

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On 4/26/2022 at 10:13 PM, ahsmatt7 said:

Play DCS! Youll get your monies worth there. Besides, my friend and I need someone to play with lol.

I wish. I have about a grand wrapped up in DCS alone and framerates have made it unusable as of late. The Marianas and Syria maps in VR multiplayer are impossible.

• Like 1

The in-sim menus are still not fixed. On a Rift S anyway, they pop up and only the left half of the menu is showing. You have to re-size it to see the whole thing. You close it and re-open it and it forgets the previous position and size and you have to repeat the process. Highly annoying. I agree. They implemented VR and seem to have abandoned it. Maybe it is because most VR headsets still suck. My Rift S is somewhat always blurry even at 200 render scale, and my Quest2 is no better. I actually prefer the Rift S.

Edited by gryper

4 hours ago, gryper said:

I wish. I have about a grand wrapped up in DCS alone and framerates have made it unusable as of late. The Marianas and Syria maps in VR multiplayer are impossible.

Darn! I was hoping to have someone else my friend and I can shoot the word not allowed with. Yes, the marianas map is much worse in vr.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

4 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Darn! I was hoping to have someone else my friend and I can shoot the word not allowed with. Yes, the marianas map is much worse in vr.

You might have success with fewer people in multiplayer. The few times I have tried was with a large group using those maps. Anyway, I guess I've gone off topic, sorry.

On 4/29/2022 at 4:02 PM, blueshark747 said:

We've witnessed Dillon go from long term 2d pancaker to full die hard VR Evangelist within a span of like 3 months...now he's making over the top thread titles as such as if he's been around since the initial MSFS VR release.

Avsim is funny🤣😂

Soooo spot-on.  

• Like 1

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

On 5/17/2022 at 4:42 PM, RXP said:

There was no VR changes in SU-VIII or SU-IX, maybe FS2020 SU-X 😜

SU-X was announced to give us DLSS, which includes DLSS support for VR.  I am not holding my breath since IIRC Asobo also mentioned that DLSS will be DX12 only feature.  All I can say for us VR users:  go figure...so many other broken VR features...

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)