Sign in to follow this  
Wise87

Lost performance after SU9 update.

12 minutes ago, jer2929 said:

A good forum post with a lot of good testing going on regarding the issue.

Hey that's my post too! I really went down the rabbit hole on this, but funny enough as soon as I started posting about it I was quickly sent to the thread where some guy figured it out from airports in Spain, but it's buried in another forum post.  I originally thought the performance issue was SU9, and started posting in that forum, but this has been going on since the fall and I am willing to speculate 80%+ of all the "on the ground" performance issues are heavily affected by it.  People really need to account for other things though.  AI is still a hot mess and AIG has a lot of independent models.  The chances of some bad models and too much AI tanking your performance is probable.  The chances of a bunch of Flightsim.to landmarks that aren't optimized or have a LOD issue that was affected by SU9 seems probable as well.

Additionally, I do think the updated clouds are eating some FPS and certain formations are putting a lot of pressure on the GPU.  In VR where the GPU is king the clouds were giving me a lot of problems but I haven't seen many others complaining so I don't know.  Clouds were improved/changed somewhat in SU9.  Ultra/High clouds, could be eating 5-10 FPS, but this is conjecture on my low volume testing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ridvan Celik said:

Calm down bud just because you’re not having an issue you don’t need to scratch your head at the thousands of other people who are…. It’s not a difficult concept to grasp. Different install different problem. 

Thousands huh, where did you come up with that from?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Just now, Noel said:

Thousands huh, where did you come up with that from?

Here we go and another one taking everything literal. Before you fact check me you should bother to read my reply. 

43 minutes ago, jer2929 said:

That's cool that you're not. Many are, and this has helped a lot of people. It's easy to do, but like most things in this sim, mileage will of course vary. Different setups, different configurations. If it doesn't help you, move along. It's great that you have perfect performance.

The critical question is:  why?  Why don't I, and as long as we're making up numbers, thousands of othper eople not have an issue w/ this?  I'm interested in learning the why part of this.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

You don't get it. He's not disabling PG at the location he is flying at, but at ANOTHER location on the other side of the world. This has hardly anything to do with lowering settings.

You're right.   Wake me up when someone has determined why thousands have all PG cities installed like myself and don't have issues, whereas others do.  

Noel

6 minutes ago, Ridvan Celik said:

Here we go and another one taking everything literal. Before you fact check me you should bother to read my reply. 

Well let's see I'm supposed to take 'insidious bug' literally, but not 'thousands'.  Oh.

Noel

4 minutes ago, Noel said:

Well let's see I'm supposed to take 'insidious bug' literally, but not 'thousands'.  Oh.

Personally, I believe the users affected are yes in the thousands. The people on the official forums and the people that don’t bother with forums, given MSFS user base, pc + Xbox, easily in the thousands. Stop greasing Asobos behind, they have a great sim, like I mentioned in my previous posts I’ve never had issues… but clearly a lot of people ARE. 

Edited by Ridvan Celik
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Noel said:

You're right.   Wake me up when someone has determined why thousands have all PG cities installed like myself and don't have issues, whereas others do.  

I think we'll happily leave you sleeping.

• Upvote 4

Aorus Master X570 / 5800x3d w/ Arctic Freezer ii 280 / Asus TUF 3090 w/ gigabyte BIOS / 2x16GB b-die @ 3600Mhz 

I had this problem before, I think it was after SU5 or WU5, but after reinstalling Windows, the problem disappeared.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

4 minutes ago, Ridvan Celik said:

Personally, I believe the users affected are yes in the thousands. The people on the official forums and the people that don’t bother with forums, given MSFS user base, pc + Xbox, easily in the thousands. Stop greasing Asobos behind, they have a great sim, like I mentioned in my previous posts I’ve never had issues… but clearly a lot of people ARE. 

That's nice, you're entitled to your guess too.  My guess is this will turn out to be yet another bogus fix for a different issue entirely.  I've learned from decades at this that cause and effect are nearly impossible to nail down.

Noel

Very interesting what's being discussed in https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/photogrammetry-on-ground-reduces-fps-by-50-on-average/512447/17 ... so for some users (and especially CPU limited cases) it looks like installing PG cities in the sim impacts FPS globally?! And the more that are installed the progressively worse it's gotten apparently. A possible cause: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/photogrammetry-on-ground-reduces-fps-by-50-on-average/512447/27?u=lwtxb

But is it fair to say that this is a separate problem from SU9 itself?  And it just so happens for the specific users where SU9 has reduced performance they gain some back from doing this workaround of removing PG cities anywhere in the globe?

Apart from the SU9 issue itself, this other general issue of PG cities in totality impacting FPS anywhere in the globe should definitely be looked at by Asobo, if it's truly the case of course.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

24 minutes ago, Noel said:

Wake me up when someone has determined why thousands have all PG cities installed like myself and don't have issues

What issue do you not have? Do you have all world updates installed? Do you have a terrain LOD of 100? do you lock at 30? Or 20? With your specs you can get away with a lot and consider 7 small files that cost you 10-15 FPS a non issue. 

Fly out of KAPA, you have to know the airport, with VSync off and tell me your FPS. Fly out of there again after applying the fix and tell me your FPS. Assuming you have all your world updates installed. It will go from 32 FPS to like 50. For those on lower systems that’s a big difference and helpful fix. 

20 minutes ago, Noel said:

That's nice, you're entitled to your guess too.  My guess is this will turn out to be yet another bogus fix for a different issue entirely.  I've learned from decades at this that cause and effect are nearly impossible to nail down.

Look, if you're not seeing this issue and you don't believe the 'fix' provides any relief to those of us who have it, why are you here denigrating our efforts?

Edited by odourboy
  • Like 4

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I know that several people than myself that have solved the problem by reinstalling Windows, I think the problem lies in Windows and not in the game itself, I myself had a power outage while updating the game, so my theory at the time was that probably something in windows was damaged by that occasion, but the other people I know who also solved the problem with a reinstallation had not encountered similar problems, so it is still a mystery.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Just now, TravelRunner404 said:

What issue do you not have? Do you have all world updates installed? Do you have a terrain LOD of 100? do you lock at 30? Or 20? With your specs you can get away with a lot and consider 7 small files that cost you 10-15 FPS a non issue. 

Fly out of KAPA, you have to know the airport, with VSync off and tell me your FPS. Fly out of there again after applying the fix and tell me your FPS. Assuming you have all your world updates installed. It will go from 32 FPS to like 50. For those on lower systems that’s a big difference and helpful fix. 

I don't have any issues with anything.  All world updates installed, T-LOD ranges from 120 to 400 situation dependent, but mostly 160 for all but the most demanding flights, everything else Ultra, AF16x, SS8x , and I never have to stop and adjust even w/ very long flights having learned how to have rock solid, stutter-free performance everywhere and in every plane including 3rd party.  I used to be plagued by poor performance at the end of a flight, but no more.  Here's how it's done:  

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/617846-what-settings-do-you-use-to-reach-the-holy-grail-of-msfs/?do=findComment&comment=4757628

With my settings where they are it's very easy to sense deterioration in performance--and there is none post-SU9.  I don't even have the oft complained about deterioration with long flights one I learned what the source of this was described in the post linked above.   I'm not contesting some have found this 'fix' to improve the picture the next time out, but there is so much more to establishing cause and effect on something like this.  Sometimes people will try this aledged fix, only to learn next time out it didn't work. If this is a legitimate issue it should be very easy to solve after all it's just a few very small files involved right?

Noel