Sign in to follow this  
cchiozza

PMDG 737 --- Stunning

On 5/10/2022 at 10:46 AM, abrams_tank said:

Wow, really? The Milviz 310 is better than anything you flew in XP11? I think the lead developer for Working Title, Matt, mentioned that MSFS's flight model is actually higher in resolution than XP (this is a rough paraprhase, I can find his exact comment if need be). But from my understanding, MSFS's flight model was new and not well understood by the 3rd party developers at the start.  I guess after almost 2 years, some 3rd party developers are understanding MSFS's flight model and capabilities much better, and are able to produce very good flight models in their planes.

It remind me of console games, like PS3 games, PS4 games, etc.  The best games are never the first games released for a console.  The best games for a console come at the very end of that console's lifecycle, when the developers figure out the fine details of that console, and how to push that console to its limit.

A while back,  Enright posted a topic about how to enable the computation fluid dynamics visualizations.

Gacbu7X.jpg

• Like 4

On 5/10/2022 at 1:13 PM, fakeflyer737 said:

The flight model is the best thing I’ve ever flown in any sim including Xplane. 

Would you mind elaborating on this?

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

22 minutes ago, DAD said:

BIG congrats for the sounds, btw. They are excellent and very immersive. Thank you so much!

Thanks Phil!

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

On 5/10/2022 at 4:46 PM, abrams_tank said:

But from my understanding, MSFS's flight model was new and not well understood by the 3rd party developers at the start.  I guess after almost 2 years, some 3rd party developers are understanding MSFS's flight model and capabilities much better, and are able to produce very good flight models in their planes.

I think the general idea of a basic CFD simulation was great. But there were missing or flawed things in the beginning. Slowly but steadily MSFS has implemented and fine tuned those features. I think this was also largely due to feedback from third party devs and the community.

Right from the start the sim felt very alive to me. You could sense aerodynamic forces interacting with the plane (overdone, but it was great to see that anyway). Together with the realistic scenery, this is... as real as it gets. 🙂

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 4

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

On 5/10/2022 at 2:42 AM, bobcat999 said:

I would love to know what the sounds are like.  The engine sounds were a bit weak on the one YouTube video I watched, but they may have been reduced a bit by the reviewer. 

The sounds are mind blowing. As I have been spending more time with the airplane the subtleties are incredible. The deep growling sound of the engines and the little clicks of the FMC and the spinning trim wheel are incredible. I’m using a Reverb G2 for sound. 

• Like 3

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

21 minutes ago, tweekz said:

Would you mind elaborating on this?

interesting stream from FlightDeck2Sim yesterday - he loves the PMDG 737 in MSFS, but linked to a video at the end of his stream of a crosswind landing in the Zibo in XPlane - he said it perfectly captured what it's like to land a 737 in a crosswind, and that there's......just something missing with the PMDG in MSFS

he was quick to say it's not a criticism as such, and he fully expects MSFS to improve over time, but it was an interesting observation

I own both sims and both aircraft (Zibo is free), so I'm not a word not allowed of either - just thought it was an interesting comment from a real world 737 pilot

• Like 4

Agreed! Had a first go with it last night, simply amazing! Gonna be spending some hours in this thing for sure!

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

3 minutes ago, EGLD said:

he said it perfectly captured what it's like to land a 737 in a crosswind, and that there's......just something missing with the PMDG in MSFS

Did he mention what it was specifically or just a feeling? I could imagine it having something to do with the (still) overexaggerated winds in MSFS.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

3 minutes ago, EGLD said:

interesting stream from FlightDeck2Sim yesterday - he loves the PMDG 737 in MSFS, but linked to a video at the end of his stream of a crosswind landing in the Zibo in XPlane - he said it perfectly captured what it's like to land a 737 in a crosswind, and that there's......just something missing with the PMDG in MSFS

he was quick to say it's not a criticism as such, and he fully expects MSFS to improve over time, but it was an interesting observation

I own both sims and both aircraft (Zibo is free), so I'm not a word not allowed of either - just thought it was an interesting comment from a real world 737 pilot

I'm sure hes right but has he tested the PMDG 737 in same conditions? I did not get to see his stream yesterday.

I only caught the end of his stream in honesty, so I don't know what types of weather he was comparing it to, I think he mentioned a bit of floating during the flare - it's worth re-iterating, he really likes the 737 in PMDG and recommends it for purchase 100%

this is the end of the stream -
https://youtu.be/l6MSiAprnfI?t=19822

this is the landing in x-plane -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdRnmwQIIDE

• Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 2:11 PM, abrams_tank said:

Wow, that's amazing.  When MSFS has planes with a better flight model than XPlane, that's progress for MSFS!

A few real pilots have liked the flight model very much, but some still say XPlane is preferred because the atmosphere feels more dynamic.  With promised improvements this year to the weather model, MSFS should become unequalled, unless XP12 comes up with something spectacular.

CPU Ryzen 7800X 3D  RAM 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz
GPU 24GB ASUS TUF GEFORCE RTX 4090 OC EDITION OG Monitor MSI MPG 321URX QD-OLED 32 inch HDR1000 
Internal Storage 1TB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD  External Storage Three 4Tb Hard Disks 

16 minutes ago, tweekz said:
20 minutes ago, EGLD said:

he said it perfectly captured what it's like to land a 737 in a crosswind, and that there's......just something missing with the PMDG in MSFS

Did he mention what it was specifically or just a feeling? I could imagine it having something to do with the (still) overexaggerated winds in MSFS.

The atmosphere in MSFS is still not alive enough to fully exploit a really good flight model like the PMDG 737 or Milviz C310.  MSFS has certainly improved in this area and I am really looking forward to improved weather this year, but XP11 still has a better feeling atmosphere that exploits the best flight models.

• Like 2

CPU Ryzen 7800X 3D  RAM 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz
GPU 24GB ASUS TUF GEFORCE RTX 4090 OC EDITION OG Monitor MSI MPG 321URX QD-OLED 32 inch HDR1000 
Internal Storage 1TB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD  External Storage Three 4Tb Hard Disks 

Does anyone feel the cockpit graphic is still P3D standard, maybe slightly better. Compared to the default B787, which is a lot better in terms of quality and color and realistic. I was hoping for a much better flight deck with the brand new sim. 

1 hour ago, EGLD said:

Yep, I saw that. It looks real cool but I'm saving up for when the PMDG gets to Zibo / FBW standard. 

Edited by gb09f

59 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

The atmosphere in MSFS is still not alive enough to fully exploit a really good flight model like the PMDG 737 or Milviz C310.  MSFS has certainly improved in this area and I am really looking forward to improved weather this year, but XP11 still has a better feeling atmosphere that exploits the best flight models.

Hmm... except for the overdone effects I honestly think that MSFS is doing a better job of depicting actual moving air masses. In XP this feels rather static. Or you move from one weather setup into the next one. Surely you've experienced the CAVOK to fog scenario once. 😄

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved