Sign in to follow this  
Epgd

PMDG 737 in VR is outstanding !

1 hour ago, Brownshortz said:

Can we start another thread about the PMDG 737. We only have 9 now.....one more will make it an even 10 lol.

9 whole threads about the most significant release for MSFS since release? Shocking!!

If we can get 1 more created,  we might just hit a record.  10 threads in a row on a topic and all of the valid complaints are quirks of the real airplane. 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

idea for a new topic

'is the pmdg 737 the only aircraft in MSFS that can release parking brake by using the toe brakes of the rudder pedals ?'

Antoine v Heck
---
Ryzen 5800X3D, 32Gb DDR4 RAM@1600 Mhz, RTX3090 (24GB VRAM). 2TB SSD - VR with Quest 2 via link cable 

4 hours ago, dogmanbird said:

For those (me) living in poverty it is 🙃   To beat it, we're looking at spending more than 3 times it's price 

Ah ok.  Out of curiosity, what's the better and more costly options available then?

1 hour ago, Bigbluss said:

9 whole threads about the most significant release for MSFS since release? Shocking!!

May need a subforum at this rate as it will be the same when Fenix launch their A320!

I agree but I do find the cockpit a bit small compared to the FBW Airbus A320. I have sat in both cockpits in real life. I have bumped my World  Scale to 110% to compensate.

HP G2 using OpenXR Toolkit

Andrew

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I agree but I do find the cockpit a bit small compared to the FBW Airbus A320. I have sat in both cockpits in real life. I have bumped my World  Scale to 110% to compensate.

HP G2 using OpenXR Toolkit

Andrew

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

20 hours ago, MikeyOnTheFlightDeck said:

Ah ok.  Out of curiosity, what's the better and more costly options available then?

The Varjo Aero apparently has improved optics overall plus eye tracking for dynamic foveated rendering support. Some say the centre sweet spot on G2 is similar to the Aero sharpness, but Aero has that clarity across much of the field of view plus somewhat improved colours / contrast. They share a similar field of view. Aero doesn't include hand controllers in it's price. Aero doesn't yet support motion reprojection, but I'd imagine that's not too far away (a critical feature for me). Aero doesn't have built-in cameras for pass-through but the Varjo XR-3 has (excellent passthrough quality) 

Good passthrough can allow masking parts of the VR world so it allows your real hands and part of your real cockpit to be seen in the headset (in stereoscopic 3D), and the VR world filling the rest of your view - known as Mixed Reality. Best results require the physical sim cockpit to be sitting on/surrounded by a greenscreen or similar. It's sounding like the next gen headsets will be going in this direction - Awesome if you already have physical cockpit panels etc. and now you can work them with your bare hands. I've already experimented with it using a Quest 2 & Vive Pro but the passthrough quality is very poor.

Here in aus the g2 is about $950, the Aero is about $3450 and the XR-3 is about $8,500

Unfortunately there's nothing available in between the G2 and Aero worth noting (not for comfort, clarity and FPS performance while simming).

Edited by dogmanbird
  • Upvote 1

The advantages of the oculus HMDs compared to the HP Reverbs are bigger sweetspot (the edges of the image isn't as clear as the center), significantly better and easier software and setup,better performance (at the cost of lower res, of course) and of course price. Half the price or less of a G2.

It doesn't seem like G2 is worth it since everyone is upscaling using the OpenXR Toolkit to get acceptable performance. If you have to do that you might as well get the Oculus and save yourself a bundle.

Edited by andreh

On 5/11/2022 at 8:04 AM, vonduck said:

Hmmmm - I have always wanted to try VR to see what the hype is about...but i cant seem to get past not being able to see my controllers or keyboard etc... is that a major drawback or something you just get used to? At present i use TrackIR and had no issues with that.... just a bit nervous to outlay big dosh if it doesn't work well.... thought?

You get used to interacting with the mouse in VR, although pending a proper VR controler implementation in MSFS that could even be better. And what ever you need to press on the keyboard, you learn to feel were the buttons are afer a while. So no need to see them.

• Like 1

I've removed the nose flap and don't use a face plate. I've stuck padding directly to the G2 with no padding under the eyes. I'm able to peer out through the now huge gap at whatever I need to see for keyboard mouse, TV etc. It's like virtual mixed reality 😉 can i patent that?

1 hour ago, andreh said:

The advantages of the oculus HMDs compared to the HP Reverbs are bigger sweetspot (the edges of the image isn't as clear as the center), significantly better and easier software and setup,better performance (at the cost of lower res, of course) and of course price. Half the price or less of a G2.

It doesn't seem like G2 is worth it since everyone is upscaling using the OpenXR Toolkit to get acceptable performance. If you have to do that you might as well get the Oculus and save yourself a bundle.

And the lower price is paid via a forced link to your Facebook account and everything that comes along with it. Since the last thing I'd ever do in my life would be getting a FB account, the oculus is out of consideration for me (and surely a lot of other people). 

Edited by -Belga-

42 minutes ago, -Belga- said:

And the lower price is paid via a forced link to your Facebook account and everything that comes along with it. Since the last thing I'd ever do in my life would be getting a FB account, the oculus is out of consideration for me (and surely a lot of other people). 

Yes, there's also that, which I completely understand. I've had an FB account since 2008 so it's too late for me. Damage is done. 🙂

Something I've noticed between MSFS and DCS, is that the G2 seems to have a larger sharp sweet spot in DCS. Maybe MSFS is reducing the resolution of the outer rings in it's fixed foveated rendering? Possibly how it achieved improved performance a few updates back?  

To be slightly more on topic, yes, the plane is great in VR and the performance is silky smooth - I’m surprised how much smoother and better this plane runs than the A32NX.