Sign in to follow this  
alberchico

Storms and historical weather events add on being developed

https://sofly.io/storm/

It's going to be interesting to see how they model things like hurricanes. Looking forward to the trailer.

• Like 1

Got very excited about the idea of historical weather, but not sure I see it mentioned on the website?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Yeah it looks to me like historical hurricanes? Not a fan of historical weather anyway I like it live. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

Got very excited about the idea of historical weather, but not sure I see it mentioned on the website?

Sorry,  I meant to say historical hurricanes will be modeled. I do wonder how the weather engine would handle something as complex as a hurricane. I feel like this add on will have a lot of nice eye candy, but not something terriby realistic from a physics point of view.

Edited by alberchico
spelling

Will it have the Michael Fish hurricane not hurricane of 1987 (UK) in it? If so then a landing challenge at EGKA is a must!

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I got this message, too. At first sight I was highly excited when I read historical weather, upon closer inspection I saw it's - seemingly - limited to Hurricanes. Me not being a storm chaser, I lowered expectations for myself. 

Certainly a nice addon for those flying in dirty weather where I prefer staying in my warm home.😉

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

9 hours ago, MarcG said:

Will it have the Michael Fish hurricane not hurricane of 1987 (UK) in it? If so then a landing challenge at EGKA is a must!

Was that not a Tornado? 

1 hour ago, FlightSimToday said:

Was that not a Tornado? 

uummm no 😉
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_storm_of_1987

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Kansas 1939

spacer.png

• Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I feel like the historical weather issue in MSFS is sort of a moot point. I understand that people like to use accurate weather data while also flying during a certain time of day. However, with MSFS, you can fly anywhere in the world with live weather data and just use the time-of-day slider to fly during your preferred time. If I'm missing something about this feature, I'm sorry and please let me know.

1 hour ago, Bdub22 said:

I feel like the historical weather issue in MSFS is sort of a moot point. I understand that people like to use accurate weather data while also flying during a certain time of day. However, with MSFS, you can fly anywhere in the world with live weather data and just use the time-of-day slider to fly during your preferred time. If I'm missing something about this feature, I'm sorry and please let me know.

Yes you are missing something...time of day and weather phenomena combo allows one to simulate different events that have occurred to experience what those involved IRL experienced - just one example of many.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

I do not get the nice weather of the morning, when I arrive home from work in the evening. 

I can't replicate interesting weather we had probably the day before

Simply: weather in the evening is seldom the same which was during the day. But I can mostly only fly in the evening

• Like 1

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do remember that very early in the piece Asobo announced they were pretty much turning off turbulence and extreme weather in storms claiming it was because most simmers would not appreciate weather that ripped the tail and wings off their aircraft.

My personal unfounded conspiracy theory is they found the physics too hard and were using player opposition to extreme turbulence as an excuse 😄

• Upvote 1