Sign in to follow this  
LouP

Is this forum becoming censored

So I posted my experiences in response to a posting about the google maps mod and the post just disappeared.  Was it because I posted my experiences that were not favorable??  I was suspect of the mod and this only makes me more so.

LouP

OK, I'm going to chime in against all my instincts saying to keep quiet.  I ventured into Google maps for a while and yes, for some reason it did look better in most places (not all but most).  My biggest gripe was that when I tried to go back to the MSFS default of Bing because of privacy concerns with the mod installing certificates on my PC, I almost lost my entire operating system.  Maybe it was something goofy I did but it did happen regardless of why.  The only thing that saved me was an obscure post somewhere that offered a manual adjustment to my system registry.  Because of the privacy concerns and the issues I had trying to go back to where I started, I'm done with it.  The benefits I saw do not outweigh the concerns that I have using the mod.  I do not need to be different for the sake of being different.

LouP

You mean this post, or was it another that you are missing now?

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

@LouP I see nothing in your user profile that suggests you were censored in any way!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

8 minutes ago, charliearon said:

@LouP I see nothing in your user profile that suggests you were censored in any way!

But out of interest how tell that from his profile?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jarmstro said:

By looking at his posts and seeing none that were hidden from view or deleted!  These are things that members will not see.

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

Simple: Become a mod 😛

(at least as far as I understand it)

My simming system: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 Ti Super 16GB, LG 38" 3840x1600

There is something weird going on with that thread.

That link above doesn't work, and when I clicked on the responses to my post in it Avsim tells me I don't have permission to view the thread.

• Like 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

This is a free site, and a site that doesn't have unlimited bandwidth.  The thread in question was hidden because the post had a crazy amount of pictures which go against the T&C's.  

• Like 5

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

14 minutes ago, micstatic said:

This is a free site, and a site that doesn't have unlimited bandwidth.  The thread in question was hidden because the post had a crazy amount of pictures which go against the T&C's.  

Not to drag this out, but I don’t see a way to upload screenshots on AVSIMs forum. So, if they’re being hosted elsewhere, why would that impact AVSIMs bandwidth? 

• Like 3

Not to mention, the ridiculous amount of ads on this site sort of contradict the concept of "free" ;).  (But yes, since images aren't hosted here anyway... what?)

Andrew Crowley

13 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Not to drag this out, but I don’t see a way to upload screenshots on AVSIMs forum. So, if they’re being hosted elsewhere, why would that impact AVSIMs bandwidth? 

There were complaints by users who attempted to open the thread and were welcomed with 70 images trying to load. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

18 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

Not to mention, the ridiculous amount of ads on this site sort of contradict the concept of "free" ;).  (But yes, since images aren't hosted here anyway... what?)

"Free" for users does not mean free hosting. And hosting costs are insane for a site/forum like Avsim (plus the library). Maybe you have no idea. As the donations are insufficient to cover costs, that is why there are ads.

Regarding images, even if they are hosted elsewhere, many pictures takes a lot of time to load... and is not user friendly in my view. 

Edited by Simicro
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

- TONY -

2 minutes ago, Simicro said:

"Free" for users does not mean free hosting. And hosting costs is insane for a site/forum like Avsim (plus the library). Maybe you have no idea. As the donations are insufficient to cover costs, that is why there are ads.

Regarding images, even if they are hosted elsewhere, many pictures takes a lot of time to load... and is not user friendly in my view. 

My guess is most users never donate to this forum either. 

• Like 4

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

You got that right...............

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.