Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I agree with everything said in your post, especially this one. Although the overall experience with MSFS is great, every flight is made in the same smooth air.  Never does one have to fight the aircraft on approach in an airliner.  GA is a little more lively, but way less so than reality.

I really hope SU10 supplies a more lively atmosphere.  Many have pointed out XP12 will not have global satellite imagery, so will not interest them. One of the reasons I will buy it to run alongside MSFS is because the aircraft will be a handful in windy or poor weather conditions.

I have been knocked around on approach with Live weather in both the DC6 and now the Fenix A 320.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

14 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have been knocked around on approach with Live weather in both the DC6 and now the Fenix A 320.  

Yes I have had wind shear and changed wind on final in many different planes from GA singles to the tube liners. FS really mimics the way wind decreases as you approach the ground very realistically as well. And will add eddies around tall buildings as well.

And what is really amazing is the effect of wind around mountains, heavy up and downdrafts in the correct way. I have been banged around the same way as in real life, around Mt Washington NH. Where I have flown in real life for over 50 years. Quite amazing really.

Sometimes I think others here fly a different simulator than I do.😄

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

1 hour ago, 177B said:

I see 4 layers of clouds here and haze as well.

Four layers of cumulus, yes.  I too give Asobo an A for clouds - no doubt at all they were a step forward at release. Pity they took a huge step backwards with the last few SUs.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

2 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I agree with everything said in your post, especially this one. Although the overall experience with MSFS is great, every flight is made in the same smooth air.  Never does one have to fight the aircraft on approach in an airliner.  GA is a little more lively, but way less so than reality.

I really hope SU10 supplies a more lively atmosphere.  Many have pointed out XP12 will not have global satellite imagery, so will not interest them. One of the reasons I will buy it to run alongside MSFS is because the aircraft will be a handful in windy or poor weather conditions.

Given that we have a fair amount of folks who think it's too lively now, and others just right, and then others like you who feel it's not enough, Asobo might really need to think about toggles/sliders to please everyone 🙂. In fact, in SU10 they said they are doing this: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1308771411?t=01h16m58s, which effectively is: if winds are zero or very low, then turbulence will be much less compared to SU9.

That said, in terms of even more realistic atmospheric airflow and how the aircraft interacts within is not coming until SU11 / 40th-anniv-edition, where CFD techniques will be applied to a 20km radius cocoon around the aircraft for airflow simulation. See my post earlier on this thread linking to more details from Seb: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/620612-jörg-neumann-regarding-the-40th-anniversary/?do=findComment&comment=4799234

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Here is a glimpse of the clouds from two years ago....

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

45 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

We all have, but nowhere near as much as can be seen from cockpit videos.  MSFS just kind of wallows around most of the time. Even during a stormy approach the wind/turbulence is sedate.  I give credit to Asobo for mountainous areas though.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

7 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Here is a glimpse of the clouds from two years ago....

Wow, the clouds were so much better!  I have to use Rex WeatherForce these days to get those multi layers mixed with stratus.  Towering CBs of the correct scale also.  No doubt Asobo will get the clouds tuned back in, but such a pity they took so many steps backwards.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

Given that we have a fair amount of folks who think it's too lively now, and others just right, and then others like you who feel it's not enough, Asobo might really need to think about toggles/sliders to please everyone

Absolutely! Not everyone want realism all the time plus practicing IFR approaches needs sliders.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Absolutely! Not everyone want realism all the time plus practicing IFR approaches needs sliders.  

You can do that already by choosing a calm weather preset. Sliders are still a good idea to satisfy everyone's perception of reality.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

17 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

The community collectively asked for Metars, and we got them. Predictably, and without mentioning our own part in the situation, we are now complaining about the addition of the very thing, we originally complained was missing.

Jeez...

I have never asked for METAR, and getting rid of that mess is one of my top wishes since then. The side effects introduced with that are just too bad. As often, it's not automatically a majority or "the community" just because the group of complainers is louder than others. It's the hardcode VATSIM simmers that needed this for their experience. I would say that decision was a mistake, given those side effects. But yes, that's only my point of view, realistic and physically accurate depiction of weather is far more important than correct METAR for me. Everything else just breaks immersion. But I respect that others may have other priorities.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Silicus said:

Cumulonimbus

If we could just get these for now it would hold me over for awhile..

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

Is cloud variety even on their road map or are they just not going to address it? 

Eric 

4 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

The left end of the slider could say     Game Mode-On Rails. 😉

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If only METAR based weather could be an option that can be turned on or off -kind of like a reduced functionality legacy flight model -but alas I can see the difficulty of tyring to support both options

Agreed the promised richness of the weather system has not been realized and has been partially borked to satisfy the desire for METARs.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5