Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Are clouds the best ever now? I'm impressed.

I had to reinstall Win 10 and lost all of my screenshots that I failed to save except a couple I had put on PostImg for linking--one of those is below.  The differences between then and now are in some ways subtle and mostly manifest with clouds at closer range.  I see some really ugly clouds at certain times now that never saw initially and I've never captured these because not pleasant to look at but I'm going to start to help illustrate where there is room for improvement. 

Squalls near my home near Denver CO.  Notice my old 2070 Super is running at 90% utilization, but still no trouble maintaining the requisite 30fps by vsync.  Very likely today this very same scene with the 3080Ti would be around 55% utilization--so there is clearly some headroom to exploit.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Krakin said:

People keep talking about downgrades now being present but they hardly ever show pics of when things were different

One thing that changed was the lighting or maybe just cloud shading when they introduced raymarching.  I thought it was supposed to make things better but now Im not so sure.

This pic shows two pics - the one on top is the new lighting and the one on the bottom is the original lighting.  Its a weather theme at same location and time etc.  The raymarching just makes things more harsh and took out detail on the face of the cloud.

I dont think voxel density or whatever actually changed.  I think they changed noise algorithms because people complained about pixellation and with raymarching we got blobby clouds.

Maybe the noise could be higher res.  but there is definitely a difference.

roJdIN8.png

• Like 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

31 minutes ago, sightseer said:

This pic shows two pics - the one on top is the new lighting and the one on the bottom is the original lighting.  Its a weather theme at same location and time etc.  The raymarching just makes things more harsh and took out detail on the face of the cloud.

I suspect that if you gave a location, somebody could very quickly fine tune a sun position and season to match that picture today.....

Or... maybe not.

It certainly would be an interesting project.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

19 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

I suspect that if you gave a location, somebody could very quickly fine tune a sun position and season to match that picture today.....

Or... maybe not.

It certainly would be an interesting project.

Clearwater Florida. August. around 11am I think.  using a custom weather theme derived from 'Scattered Clouds". 

Can it be done without filters?  Something else that changed along the way was the 'fix' of SDR and HDR.  Usercfg used to say HDR 1 for me but now it says 0(last time I checked).  I tried changing it to 1 but it made no difference.  I think its the raymarching that makes the shading difference.

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

5 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

The graininess is definitely infrequent. It seems to be related to lighting conditions, among others. I'm not that well versed in the technical bits of how clouds are actually rendered. But it seems to me that, every now and then, some clouds appear much more grainy than others. 

I'm not seeing graininess in SU10, but I have seen a comb like pattern of vertical lines in clouds, but only when looking out the side window of the airplane. I never see it in clouds in front of me. I saw it briefly on my last flight, and it reminds me of the artifacts that I've seen when taxiing past light poles and wind socks. Like ghosted vertical lines as you move by them. I don't think it is a problem with the clouds per se, I think it is related to the lighting.

But grainy clouds, I no longer see. I used to see some blocky edges to the clouds, but that went away a while ago. No idea why.

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

On 7/31/2022 at 2:12 PM, Noel said:

spacer.png

Just horrid!  I wouldn't harp on this so much if there weren't already hardware resources to exploit which there most certainly are.  Give us the slider to impact cloud resolution in particular such that in the screenshot above you could dial out this low-density rendering, and fully, as the hardware permits.  Then continue to work on subtleties and cloud morphology, lighting and so forth. 

Don't know what's wrong with your sim, but even with max zoom looking at close clouds I don't see anything like this.

Here are 2 screenshots, second one is max zoom.

screenshot-2022-08-02-2.jpg

spacer.png

Another one just about to enter the cloud

spacer.png

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Some people also say clouds are transparent. I'm inside that cloud, can't see anything to the sides, how are clouds transparent?

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Also, for the ones that say we shouldn't see the wingtips when inside the clouds, check this: https://youtu.be/lriTnm-E_o8?t=338

• Like 1

Alvega

It seems that the problem of cloud granularity is not related to the voxel density of clouds at all, as Noel incorrectly assumes it:

I looked at how the Unreal Engine 5 represents "volumetric" clouds. According to their documentation, "volumetric" clouds in their game engine, and presumably in all other game engines, are not true 3d particle systems that fill a given volume, as is the case in the major 3d rendering programs such as 3dsmax, Maya, and especially Houdini. Rather, they seem to be simple meshes or metablobs that have merely been given volumetric textures. This makes my argument of increasing render time with the third power of the number of voxels to be rendered moot.

MSFS does not use the unreal engine but the technique used to render the clouds should be very similar. So, the problem is not with the voxel density but with the volumetric textures applied to the cloud meshes and the parameters of the raymarching algorithm.

Whether and to what extent this shader network can be interfered with via sliders that the end user can operate is, however, beyond my knowledge. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Alvega said:

Don't know what's wrong with your sim, but even with max zoom looking at close clouds I don't see anything like this.

Here are 2 screenshots, second one is max zoom.

Not sure, but it's not only mine, and anyway that is not the point as I continue to emphasize.  I have views w/o this voxel grid appearance as well,. zoomed in, but as I say it's a tip-off to the resolution of clouds in MSFS.  Here is your screenshot without the voxel grid appearance--to me this is just looks blurry, looks essentially out of focus.

spacer.png

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

11 minutes ago, asanosho said:

It seems that the problem of cloud granularity is not related to the voxel density of clouds at all, as Noel incorrectly assumes it:

I looked at how the Unreal Engine 5 represents "volumetric" clouds. According to their documentation, "volumetric" clouds in their game engine, and presumably in all other game engines, are not true 3d particle systems that fill a given volume, as is the case in the major 3d rendering programs such as 3dsmax, Maya, and especially Houdini. Rather, they seem to be simple meshes or metablobs that have merely been given volumetric textures. This makes my argument of increasing render time with the third power of the number of voxels to be rendered moot.

MSFS does not use the unreal engine but the technique used to render the clouds should be very similar. So, the problem is not with the voxel density but with the volumetric textures applied to the cloud meshes and the parameters of the raymarching algorithm.

Whether and to what extent this shader network can be interfered with via sliders that the end user can operate is, however, beyond my knowledge. 

I wouldn't use Unreal Engine 5 as a reference. It makes use of a common volumetric cloud rendering technique in games. But it isn't the only way.

In fact, Seb literally said himself in a live stream that the clouds are built from voxels, and indeed applying the same perlin or simplex (and other) noise techniques as UE5 uses in its method, but to a voxel density grid instead, is part of a volumetric cloud rendering method published in a research paper over 10 years ago, and that's probably closer to what Asobo are doing.

None of us can know exactly how they are created and we likely won't find out. Asobo's engine seems far more advanced than the off-the-shelf methods/engines already.

Edited by March Hare
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, asanosho said:

According to others these are voxel grids and you can certainly discern the 'slices' they are made of.  You see this depending on angle, of course, as they are slices.  Here's a screen shot from a while back that illustrates this to some degree:

spacer.png

• Like 1

Noel

Also, for the ones that say we shouldn't see the wingtips when inside the clouds, check this: https://youtu.be/lriTnm-E_o8?t=338

To not see wingtips from point-blank range certainly can happen depending of course on cloud density.  I've ridden my motorcycle into a fog bank that gave me just that--about 20 feet of visibility that was it.  Whether or not MSFS cloud rendering can duplicate this kind of density remains to be seen.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

For the ones that say we should see wingtips inside of clouds clear as day, check this:

I've been on enough commercial flights to know that this video is accurate. And I live in a mountainous region, and when we're literally "in the clouds", I often cannot clearly see a wing's length away walking around my own house. The foggy mist is right there in my face, something that I don't get from the current version of MSFS. In MSFS, I never truly feel "in" the clouds.

Edited by Keto Ketchup
clarity
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Keto Ketchup said:

The foggy mist is right there in my face, something that I don't get from the current version of MSFS. In MSFS, I never truly feel "in" the clouds.

This current rendering model does not seem capable of delivering the kind of density required.  Doesn't matter if it's voxels or pixels it's simply low resolution, very low, and out of character with the rest of the sim.  Lest people who feel the need to come back in to defend against this contention I'm impressed with where it's come so far, can tell it's very difficult to budget performance resources and so forth, but as I say until the low resolution is improved we'll be stuck with something like this going forward.  I have ample GPU resources left to exploit, and hardware resources continue to improve steadily, so this does bode well for the future I feel.  I hope Asobo can implement a slider to improve density, or utilizes a better algorithm to increase density the closer one gets to clouds, as I have said in this thread it's a win win win for the ever-increasing hardware capability that is real.

Edited by Noel

Noel