Sign in to follow this  
Matchstick

AH DHC-1 Chipmunk release "imminent" and manual published

9 minutes ago, Sceadu said:

So who has flown it?, if it flys sorta right I can forgive the awfull oversized wing detail

It's buggy - fuel selector is screwed and cockpit electrical switches don't actually turn things on and off (less of an issue for me as I use switches on a HB Alpha).

But the actual flying is pretty decent so it's really a question whether AH will bother to put the work in fix the obvious issues.

• Like 2

Could someone comment on the wing upper surface, please. It looks very flat in some screenshots, okay in others. I'm very tempted to get this, having flown in them, but the wing looks like a flat board in some shots.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

56 minutes ago, Paul K said:

Could someone comment on the wing upper surface, please. It looks very flat in some screenshots, okay in others. I'm very tempted to get this, having flown in them, but the wing looks like a flat board in some shots.

It’s..... okay but it ain’t no Carenado 🙃.

It’s been a little over forty years since I last sat in a Chippie so I’m loath to criticise too much  but the wings were fabric covered if I remember correctly- or at least partially covered.

It looks better in the metallic skins provided than some of the others.

External sounds are very evocative of all that waiting around for your turn, internal sounds are beyond my recall now.

Again, cockpit is....okay. Some textures are good, some...not so good. I don’t think one or two of the gauges actually belong in a Chippie panel but perhaps my memory is playing tricks.

The P1 compass can be set but you can only seem to turn it one way.

There’s something not quite right with the fuel gauges; with full fuel one wing gauge shows full, the other empty!

Flight model is stable and benign, perhaps a little too benign but at least they’ve cured the ‘veer violently left when you hit forty knots’ take off behaviour that the base sim likes to offer us. 

Climb on takeoff? A little more healthy than I remember.

Oh yeah, I’m quite certain that the flap control lever is working the wrong way round!

If you’re going to get it, get it from Just Flight. Cheaper than the rest.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

It’s..... okay but it ain’t no Carenado 🙃.

I've no doubt there are problems, and that AH will resolve them.

However, it is the upper surface of the wing that I am specifically concerned with. Is it convex enough, or, as appears in some ( not all ) screenshots, flat as a board ? It's been a while since I sat in one, too.

It does seem to have deflated, especially in VR - the leading edge and ailerons sit proud of the upper wing surface.
Hopefully this will be fixed in the upcoming patch with the other bugs, because it's very nice all-round and a pleasure to fly if you can ignore the issues...

Probably a very word not allowed question. But is it in any way similar to the P-51? And does anyone own both and can’t recommend one or the other. One reason I ask is that I owned a payware version of the P-51 in X-plane and enjoyed it quite a lot.

Edit: no idea why that word is banned. It sort of takes away the meaning from that sentence, Oh well..

Edited by Cpt_Piett

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6200 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

On 6/27/2022 at 1:49 PM, Paul K said:

No, for me are ok, as should:

jfT6sLs.jpg

copy-of-g-bwnt-de-havilland-canada-dhc-1

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

Yes it looks to be right so I'd withdraw my comment above 🙂

is it in any way similar to the P-51? And does anyone own both and can’t recommend one or the other. One reason I ask is that I owned a payware version of the P-51 in X-plane and enjoyed it quite a lot.

I've got them both and like them both, I've flown the P51 a lot (I had the X-plane payware Pony and almost never flew it) - maybe it's a bit too powerful but I don't know. Also sounds have been criticised.

The Chippie is the same (excellent) virtual standard and just has a few issues to be ironed out.

I'd recommend both to a person who wanted that aircraft, unless I knew they would only be happy with A2A standards.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YoYo said:

No, for me are ok, as should:

Thanks very much for that, YoYo - good comparison shots. I'm still not 100% convinced, but of course it could be how the wing is rendered in the sim - these views are never perfect, with distortions creeping in, depending on the angle. But thank you for your opinion and the pictures! 🙂

• Like 1

CHIPMUNK UPGRADEAn upgrade for the new DH Canada Chipmunk is now available. Here's the changelog:

Version 1.4.0
- Fuel now correctly feeds from both despite the previous loaded flight or any other modifications by end user.
- Left fuel gauge now reading correctly.
- Compass bezels now correctly can be moved in an anticlockwise or clockwise direction.
- Rear compass lock is now independent to the front cockpit.
- Radios can be turned off ( NAV power is dependent on COM power )
- Carb heat mouse issue resolved.
- Ground/flight switch works closer to the real thing. This is important the battery is OFF when the switch is in the ground position. Power is provided by the external power source. Once in the air you cannot select ground power.
- Number 18 on the manual is in the correct place (for the Birdcage model).
- Copilot missing issue fixed.
- Minor modeling and texture issues corrected.
- AUW adjusted to 2100lbs.
- RPM performance curve adjusted. ( Low RPM mag test now results in 75 rpm drop and overal efficiency lower at lower RPM)
- Plain paint texture folder supplied for repainters.

Just re-download from your vendor. The Version number is 1.4.0

• Like 1

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

Sadly it still needs a little more work - the co-pilots feet clip up through the pilots seat at certain head angle in the civilian versions (guessing the military pilot models don't have feet that stick up) and the pilot handbrake controls seem to be uncontrollable in the cockpit with the mouse - its working in CP seat and the Pilot Com Radio Power switch appears to be stuck in on position - the CP switch moves but with the Pilots stuck on it doesn't seem to do anything.

Additionally in the bubble versions the Pilot Generator switch is stuck in on position.

In the birdcage model the Flight/Ground switch logic still feels off because the battery switch controls are still enabled in the sim despite there not being an actual switch so if you have a default control setup with battery switch control mapped you need to make sure it's in the correct position.

There's nothing really game breaking here but it would be really nice to get the plane polished to the standard it truly deserves.

Version 1.5 out, so AH do seem to be listening to fix requests...

Version 1.5.0
- VR controls nodes added to control-stick. (FRONT COCKPIT ONLY).
- Gyro Indicator direction reversed and revised scale.
- ADF readout rollers adjusted for visibility.
- Fuel Gauge housings in wings repositioned.
- Brake levers - mouse-click areas added for both cockpits
- Tailwheel height adjusted on ground.
- Duplicate camera view (20) removed
- RAF roundels corrected.

The prop animation (from the cockpit) is the worst I’ve seen in a very long time. Don’t know how that passed muster. 

Has anyone else noticed the bad repeating engine sound loop when at full throttle - this is inside the cockpit, not outside.

I like the plane in general.

Rob (but call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind).

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

On 6/28/2022 at 5:12 PM, Cpt_Piett said:

Edit: no idea why that word is banned. It sort of takes away the meaning from that sentence, Oh well..

Ironically the censoring makes it sound a lot worse than it probably was 😄 It's kind of like Jimmy's Kimmel's unnecessary censorship bit!