Sign in to follow this  
zachlog

MSFS System Requirements

I don't have MSFS yet because I have an older configuration but perhaps it might be good enough for MSFS anyway.  Can anyone tell me if the configuration below can run MSFS reasonably well ?

Windows 10
CPU: Intel i5-4460 4-CORE 3.20 GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Video Card: NVidia GeForce GTX 745, 4GB video memory, 1032 MHz
HDD: 1 TB

Thanks,
Zachlog

zachlog

The answer to your question IMHO depends on what sort of flying you want to do. If you want flying with full real settings and ultra graphics enabled then probably not. If like me you are happy with medium settings and not so much into the study level planes then yes I would say your setup should be fine. I have an i5 laptop with 8gb of ram and a dual video card set up of 2gb for regular work and a 3gb nvidia. With medium settings enabled I get mid 20's FPS. One thing, I see you are from New York and the bridges around the island are borked in photogrammetry. You will need to buy the all 29 bridges scenery supplement from Simmarket to get ones that look like they do not have curtains hanging down underneath. If I flew around there every day or even a few times per week I would buy that.

Edited by AOB

I will echo what @AOB said. Your CPU and system memory (16GB) and Windows 10 operating system are fine. But your graphics card will not permit you to run the scenery on High-Ultra settings. I might add, however, that even on its very lowest settings, MSFS looks far better than any other flight simulator. My own computer system is over seven years old. I have an Nvidia 1070 graphics card, which is now considered obsolete. Yet I run MSFS smoothly at 30+ FPS using 2K scenery settings.

You might consider going to a local computer repair shop and asking them if they have any used graphics cards lying around on their work benches -- cards that still work perfectly but are not considered state-of-the-art. Or try eBay. If these used cards are less than seven years old, they will likely run MSFS on high-ultra. I personally have 8GB of video memory and, for me at least, that works well, even with PMDG planes and photogrammetry scenery. 

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

My primary and perhaps the only A/C I have been flying since 2011 is the PMDG 737-800.  I am planning on continuing with this A/C and perhaps discover the Airbus world with the A320 FBW or Fenix versions.  It sounds like to get full MSFS benefits, an upgrade is in order.

Thanks,
Zachlog

zachlog

I run MSFS on an ancient pc, with 8 gigs of system ram and a 4 gig video card that I can't even get updated drivers for anymore. 

Everything on medium, cockpit refresh rate high, bloom turned off, I get around 23-27 fps. 

Works for me. 

This is at a 1080 p resolution on an ultrawidescreen monitor. 

You'll get hardware-shamed here, but who cares? Take out a 1-month subscription and see how it works on your system. 

Based on a couple of horror stories I read here, If you buy a $1 subscription for a month, you may not want to buy any addons from the marketplace until you end the subscription later and get a regular paid version. Some people lost money they spent on the updates purchased during the subscription, after later cancelling the month's subscription. I can't verify any of this, and have no experience with the monthly subscription trial. 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

For instance I read this "remember though; if you end up deciding to purchase the game, to buy the full release from either MS Store or Steam (would suggest Steam due to recent issues with MS Store). Do not use the Upgrade option from within the Sim, since that upgrade will require an active Gamepass subscription."

MSFS 2020 Trial Version? - Community / General Discussion - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

So, after using the trial for under a month's time, you can cancel the trial and then buy MSFS from MS Store or Steam. Instead of buying from inside the game which is called the 'Marketplace'. 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

6 hours ago, zachlog said:

My primary and perhaps the only A/C I have been flying since 2011 is the PMDG 737-800.  I am planning on continuing with this A/C and perhaps discover the Airbus world with the A320 FBW or Fenix versions.  It sounds like to get full MSFS benefits, an upgrade is in order.

Thanks,
Zachlog

You might just about be OK with the PMDG 737 with your spec. I'd say you'll really struggle with the Fenix A320 though. I've got a 4770K and GTX 1060 6GB and it's just about flyable for me, but lags quite a lot at airports.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

Among their upgrades to ultimate there is (or was a few months ago ) one which did include the standard version and you could leave the monthly one.  One thing that is important is whatever you buy must use the same email you used for the subscription or you will not be able to use any of the addons you have bought.

Harry Woodrow

11 hours ago, Tom Wright said:

You might just about be OK with the PMDG 737 with your spec. I'd say you'll really struggle with the Fenix A320 though. I've got a 4770K and GTX 1060 6GB and it's just about flyable for me, but lags quite a lot at airports.

15 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

I run MSFS on an ancient pc, with 8 gigs of system ram and a 4 gig video card that I can't even get updated drivers for anymore. 

Everything on medium, cockpit refresh rate high, bloom turned off, I get around 23-27 fps. 

Works for me. 

This is at a 1080 p resolution on an ultrawidescreen monitor. 

You'll get hardware-shamed here, but who cares? Take out a 1-month subscription and see how it works on your system. 

Guys,

Thanks a lot for this very useful information.  

Besides the hardware issue, I am a little confused on the differences among the MSFS versions.  I understand the Standard vs. Deluxe vs. Premium Deluxe (my preference) but then there is the MS Store and Steam versions.  What are the differences between these versions ?  What is "Steam" ?  I am not interested in the Xbox version since this seems to be more for the arcade crowd; I am interested in aviation.  Looking on the web, I have also noticed that vendor sites have some versions marked as 'Not Currently Available" even though the software is distributed digitally (CDKeys and Amazon are examples for the Premium Deluxe versions).  At this point, I am not even sure I can ask the right questions so any direction MSFS versions/types would be appreciated.

Zachlog

zachlog

42 minutes ago, zachlog said:

Besides the hardware issue, I am a little confused on the differences among the MSFS versions.  I understand the Standard vs. Deluxe vs. Premium Deluxe (my preference) but then there is the MS Store and Steam versions.  What are the differences between these versions ?  What is "Steam" ?  I am not interested in the Xbox version since this seems to be more for the arcade crowd; I am interested in aviation.  Looking on the web, I have also noticed that vendor sites have some versions marked as 'Not Currently Available" even though the software is distributed digitally (CDKeys and Amazon are examples for the Premium Deluxe versions).  At this point, I am not even sure I can ask the right questions so any direction MSFS versions/types would be appreciated.

There's essentially two vendors/places you can buy and download MSFS. They are the official Microsoft Store and Steam.  Steam is just another digital distributor of PC games essentially. It's popular because they have a huge online store of PC titles and a nice download manager/app so you can keep all your PC titles in one place. It also handles all the installation and updates of your games for you automatically - although this isn't so effective for MSFS since it also has its own built in updater!

I believe any other vendor you buy MSFS from (online or in a shop) it will just be a key to download and install it from either of the above.

There is also a boxed version of MSFS available from Aerosoft. It contains 10 DVDs. I would highly discourage anyone from getting this as they are so out of date you will basically have to download the entire product in updates anyway. And you have to keep one of the DVDs inserted at all times in order to run it for authentication.

As for the different versions of MSFS, the base package is the Standard edition. The Deluxe and Premium Deluxe editions just include extra content on top of Standard - ie there are more default aircraft and handcrafted airports. But ultimately they're the same game and all third party add ons will work with whichever version you have. You can also upgrade your installation at a later date if you buy Standard and want Premium Deluxe.

There is also Game Pass. This is a Microsoft pay monthly subscription service which gives you access to download and play many Xbox and PC titles from their store without buying the game. MSFS Standard edition is one of the titles included in this, and I believe Game Pass has a deal for new subscribers where it's only $1 for the first month, so it's a very cheap way to try MSFS for a month to see if it works and if you like it. If your subscription runs out you will no longer be able to run it however.

It's worth noting as well, that the Xbox version of MSFS is the same as the PC version - it's not stripped down or arcadey. If you buy MSFS via the Microsoft Store route you get a license to install it on both a PC and an Xbox.

Edited by Tom Wright

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

You actually  get to use it on more than xbox and one pc.  It can install and play on multiple pcs if you buy from the Miccrosoft store, though add ons not bought from the store probably will only run on one.  The only real  restriction is that you can only run on one at a time.  I do not think you get that if you buy on Steam.   It can be useful as you can have it on your home machine and say a laptop or work machine.

Harry Woodrow