Sign in to follow this  
mSparks

X-Plane 12 Dev Deep Dive - Ep 5: Sound Design

Absolutely Delightful this series of interviews with the LR Team.

Just as this particular Episode 5 developer says - it's a team made up of passionate people, all with a passion for aviation and flight simulation, all specialized in their own preferred area of expertise, all with the desire to create an immersive and harmonious assembly of components that together I am sure will make XP12 a true success.

When you put Love into something, you get some sort of positive return...

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 4

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

4 hours ago, jcomm said:

When you put Love into something, you get some sort of positive return...

Absolutely

It not always about money or market share if it's in the budget to do it, its that passion they have, that motivates them to come up with many things we get to enjoy and the best part, we benefit from it.

• Like 3

On 6/23/2022 at 11:07 PM, jcomm said:

Absolutely Delightful

It really was, first one so far Ive sat and watched pretty much from start to finish with not much in the way of a break. 

20 hours ago, BobFS88 said:

its that passion they have

This is what really turned me against the org and brought me here....

LR really encourage tinkering and learning by experience, org seems to do the opposite, oh its too hard dont even try, dont touch my sh.. etc etc.

Her back story is exactly what 2022 needs to hear more of, and not just in flight sim. Most of todays good paying jobs didnt exist 10 years ago.

Someone even told me today, John Lennons answer to the question "what do you want to be when you grow up" was "happy".....

20 hours ago, BobFS88 said:

and the best part, we benefit from it.

Before I wrote the next sentence, I suspect I was one of only a very few who is insanely excited for.... The scenery deep dive entry...

Welcome to my impatience lol.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

15 hours ago, mSparks said:

org seems to do the opposite, oh its too hard dont even try, dont touch my sh.. etc etc.

With all due respect, why would anyone be surprised? If people make a living off that dev information, of course they'll be territorial. Especially on a site that has been around as long as that one has, and is one that somewhat frequently sees the developers/owner make posts. Posturing, peacocking, ego stroking, etc. It's a job hunt and an ego trip all in one location! Trolls gobble that stuff up.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

15 hours ago, mSparks said:

The scenery deep dive entry...

Welcome to my impatience lol.

Yeah 

I am anxiously waiting to see that one well. 😄

• Upvote 1

I just thought I should point out that, among peoplke who suggest the release of the XP12 "open beta" is imminent and those who insist that it could be far from that due to LR being actively fixing stuff, I really don't care.

OFC I want to be able to get my hands on XP12 and what I believe will become yet another preferred fligthsim of the epoch, but I honestly would prefer to see it released in a stable / overall smooth form than rushed out.

I don't think there is now any serious need to rush it out so I hope LR takes the necessary time to get things fixed and fine tuned as much as possible for the initial release. Until then I am fine experimenting with the Inibuilds A310-300 and Beluga, as well as playing the Toliss A319 from time to time :-)

• Upvote 3

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

OFC I want to be able to get my hands on XP12 and what I believe will become yet another preferred fligthsim of the epoch, but I honestly would prefer to see it released in a stable / overall smooth form than rushed out.

Preferred by whom? I will pass judgement when it's released. And judgement is mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

I just thought I should point out that, among peoplke who suggest the release of the XP12 "open beta" is imminent and those who insist that it could be far from that due to LR being actively fixing stuff, I really don't care.

I don't think there is now any serious need to rush it out so I hope LR takes the necessary time to get things fixed and fine tuned as much as possible for the initial release. Until then I am fine experimenting with the Inibuilds A310-300 and Beluga, as well as playing the Toliss A319 from time to time :-)

You could always just wait for the RC version.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

4 hours ago, blingthinger said:

why would anyone be surprised?

Because .org was intended for use by not for profit organisations.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

4 hours ago, jarmstro said:

Preferred by whom? I will pass judgement when it's released. And judgement is mine.

By all of those with good taste, with OSs that don't run other platforms, people who have long moved to XP and have some addons that they want to keep using in the new version, and so and so on....

Me, for instance, and yet !, MFS is another among my preferred sims, and I do not intend to stop playing it while I have good reasons to enjoy it.

Looking forward for your judgement ! I will not steal it from you, don't worry... Hey, jarmstro, honestly, be positive ! It makes us feel ( much ) better when we're positive, even about what we tend to be negative about... Give it a try !

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

To be honest, I'm as interested in the judgments of others as when a sack of rice falls over in China.

• Like 3

My Youtube Channel

Hardware Intel i5 12600k, Gigabyte Z690 UD, Gigabyte Nvidia 3070TI Gaming OC, Corsair Vegeance RGB 32GB Kit CL16

26 minutes ago, Dirk.M said:

To be honest, I'm as interested in the judgments of others as when a sack of rice falls over in China.

In that case, a special interest discussion board might not be the best place for you 😉

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

6 hours ago, mSparks said:

Because .org was intended for use by not for profit organisations.

Regardless of what it was intended to be, it now has a quick link to what is probably the biggest store in the ecosystem and is used by every major 3rd vendor for product support. Add to that the fact that the vendor base has been shrinking and...well...recession sucks. The problem is that there aren't more mSparks out there willing to tackle a full aircraft. I hear people frequently say "oh somebody will surely 'zibo' that model up." Hopefully v12 renews interest and convinces not-for-profit devs to either return or start up because there has only been one Zibo thus far who's been willing/able to go the long long long haul.

And by v12 in this discussion thread, I obviously refer to the sound design...I hope she's also got wave-crashing-on-beach sounds in there. I'm looking forward to battling a float plane into pitching 3D waves and watching the sun set on the sand as cumulonimbus cells (that don't look like rotten marshmallows) roll by in the distance.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

10 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

The problem is that there aren't more mSparks out there willing to tackle a full aircraft.

2.3 is ready now, only 4 months past due, just needs zipping up.

https://github.com/mSparks43/747-400/milestone/5

18 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

Hopefully v12 renews interest and convinces not-for-profit devs to either return or start up

There is actually multiples of these now, development groups have mostly moved to discord for them after the org mods were so abusive.... I'd say the attitude has somewhat softened there recently, but still fairly toxic.

Hopefully XP12 brings with it a level of maturity that has been sorely lacking so far.

As for beach sounds. Yeah, she made a big thing about how important the environmental sound is in VR, I'm absolutely over the moon that sort of stuff is coming, before LR started revealing what XP12 will have I had been starting to doubt there were even clouds or water updates coming the way the org responded to discussions about them in XP11.

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer