Sign in to follow this  
Glenn Fitzpatrick

Kodiak 30% off this weekend

10 hours ago, scotchegg said:

Ahhh, was looking for something to lessen the blow of picking up Just Flight’s Hawk just before it went on sale. Maybe this is it.

Are there significant differences to / advantages over the default Porter or Caravan (quality of FM aside)?

You don't have this already whaaaat?  Whyyyyyyyy?

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Caravan is junk compared to the Kodiak. 

The Kodiak, especially at $20 is at another level. Proper turbo prop behaviour including damage from hot starts, changing cargo and passenger loads are visible when you look around the cabin, the FM is excellent (though people with short throw joysticks and yokes found it a bit sensitive, but that has been fixed in the upcoming patch) and four different configurations with and without pods and tundra tires.

Depends what you are after I suppose.  The Caravan does not really behave like a turbo prop and the FM is not great - but if you just want something of that general type (Kodiak/PC6/Caravan etc) to mess about in that is easy to fly then I suppose it is free.  Basically the caravan is not particularly realistic, but if you  simply refuse to buy pay ware on some sort of principle, or maybe simply cannot afford it, then the Caravan, especially with the freeware improvement mods which fix some of the more glaring issues is acceptable. Not great, acceptable.   (Also note that Just Flight will be bringing out an analogue conversion and FM reworking for the Caravan at some stage soon but that will not be cheap. I believe it will be about $60)

15 minutes ago, jfri said:

I found that I have a Kodiak plane for FS9 and FSX and I remember that was an issue with it. I think it was moving even at idle power. And that was because of limitation within the flightsim. So I ask is this issue gone in this Kodiak 100 for MSFS ? How does this Kodiak 100 compare to the Kodiak for FS9,FSX ?

If you have the condition lever in Low Idle and throttle back it will not creep with brakes applied.

One hint for new Kodiak owners, if you just yank back on the yoke it is just going to nose up drop a wing and fall out of the sky. Ease back on the yoke to rotate, keep pitch under 10 degrees and let airspeed build to at least 80-90 knots before trying to climb

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

If you have the condition lever in Low Idle and throttle back it will not creep with brakes applied.

But what about without brakes applied ? I don't think the FSX version did creep with brakes applied

Just got it, and after blowing three engines during start-up, I've fallen in love. It really is gorgeous.

• Like 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

7 hours ago, Paul K said:

Just got it, and after blowing three engines during start-up, I've fallen in love. It really is gorgeous.

lol ...  do not introduce fuel too early and make sure the igniters are on before introducing fuel if doing a lo-start.

9 hours ago, jfri said:

But what about without brakes applied ? I don't think the FSX version did creep with brakes applied

Low idle - no, even with prop full fine it does not creep

High idle - yes of course as expected, you are not meant to be using high idle on the ground anyway

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up I bought it. I had it in fsx years ago but wasn't going to get it then this sale happened lol. Took her out for a nice flight and enjoyed it. Had to figure out how to get rid of copilot figure. 

was pleased to purchase the Kodiak from Orbx this weekend - at a higher $price,

good to have it available & took a quick flight around Byron Bay,

did not purchase from SWS on sale,

one of their developers took direct issue with me that I thought a developer should have an actual Xbox, if developing for the Xbox as well...

& we know that developers cannot test their products on Xbox before they are released in the Xbox Marketplace...

good to have the Kodiak now!

16 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

You don't have this already whaaaat?  Whyyyyyyyy?

I was biding my time…

Now that I have it, I’m beginning to see its charm. Not sure about a couple of things though:

- Is there a way to see what level / percent rudder trim I have? I set it for plenty of right rudder on takeoff which seems to have been roughly right as I managed to get it off the ground first time, but I’d feel much better if I could see where I am.

- I can’t seem to get rid of the flashing advisory notice. I have Engine inlet set to normal but it’s still flashing.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

2 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

I was biding my time…

Now that I have it, I’m beginning to see its charm. Not sure about a couple of things though:

- Is there a way to see what level / percent rudder trim I have? I set it for plenty of right rudder on takeoff which seems to have been roughly right as I managed to get it off the ground first time, but I’d feel much better if I could see where I am.

- I can’t seem to get rid of the flashing advisory notice. I have Engine inlet set to normal but it’s still flashing.

Last point- From what I recall it’s set to bypass ? I haven’t flown it in a while someone feel free to correct me.

31 minutes ago, Ridvan Celik said:

Last point- From what I recall it’s set to bypass ? I haven’t flown it in a while someone feel free to correct me.

Doesn’t seem to make any difference.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Lol, half the folks in this thread telling us why they're not going to buy the Kodiak. 

All I can say is: it's a great plane, and at this price it's a total steal. Nothing more needs to be said or added. 

17 hours ago, jfri said:

How does this Kodiak 100 compare to the Kodiak for FS9,FSX ?

What does this have to do with the Kodiak for MSFS 2020? 

2 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Lol, half the folks in this thread telling us why they're not going to buy the Kodiak. 

All I can say is: it's a great plane, and at this price it's a total steal. Nothing more needs to be said or added. 

What does this have to do with the Kodiak for MSFS 2020? 

They are both simulations of the same real plane.

One more thing to say. I downloaded the manual for it and I find no checklist in it.

5 hours ago, scotchegg said:

Central display, bottom left hand corner displays rudder trim. 

As others have said; it's an absolute steal at the sales price and is a magnificent example of what a talented third party dev can do with what MSFS offers....  

• Like 1