Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

Map Enhancement Tool Update Released

6.0.9 out;

Fix highlod image in some area
Fix mod exiting hang issue

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

6.1.0 can be found here: https://github.com/derekhe/msfs2020-map-enhancement/releases/tag/v6.1.0

For me this version works perfectly. Fast tile loading, cache, high LOD. Just made a donation to the dev and suggests others do the same. 

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

6.1.0 can be found here: https://github.com/derekhe/msfs2020-map-enhancement/releases/tag/v6.1.0

For me this version works perfectly. Fast tile loading, cache, high LOD. Just made a donation to the dev and suggests others do the same. 

Good news!  He's had two donations from me.

Edited by MrBitstFlyer

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

35 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Good news!  He's had two donations from me.

Still getting some weird artifacts in some tiles. But the app itself seems robust. Trying out Mapbox with the free token, and that gives very good results in Alaska. Here's a shot with a terrain LOD of 600:

ThcOwhb.jpg

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

Guys, this Mapbox has some very decent image quality. Still in Alaska, where both Google and Bing have pretty bad coverage. Just head over to Mapbox.com, create an account and grab a public token. Then paste the token into the settings menu of the mod. With Orbx' mesh, everything looks quite awesome. Or super awesome, like Jörg and Seb would say 😉

Edited by Cpt_Piett

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Guys, this Mapbox has some very decent image quality. Still in Alaska, where both Google and Bing have pretty bad coverage. Just head over to Mapbox.com, create an account and grab a public token. Then paste the token into the settings menu of the mod. With Orbx' mesh, everything looks quite awesome. Or super awesome, like Jörg and Seb would say 😉

Interesting... So do you think Mapbox offers better textures than Bing or Google generally or just in Alaska? Have you checked them out elsewhere?  I may look at this when I head PNG. 

4 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Interesting... So do you think Mapbox offers better textures than Bing or Google generally or just in Alaska? Have you checked them out elsewhere?  I may look at this when I head PNG. 

I will check elsewhere and report back. The difference in Alaska was pretty huge though. 

Sorry to drift a bit but does anyone know how the Mapbox licensing work after you use the free images allocated to the public token?  

54 minutes ago, nomad71 said:

Sorry to drift a bit but does anyone know how the Mapbox licensing work after you use the free images allocated to the public token?  

No, but I'd very much like to know. Been using the free token a lot since yesterday and it's still working. Hopefully the price for a monthly subscription is not something ridiculously expensive. 

I've really enjoyed this enhancement, but I have noticed in some locations where tiles meet that trees tend to be a lighter shade on one side of the tile vs. the other where they meet (a good example of this is the tile east of KATL).  Whereas with the default bing map, the trees tend to blend together better.  Granted, it's few and far between, but once I've seen it, I can't un-see it.  

It would be interesting to see if Mapbox has the same issue (I may give it a try), or if something else like Rex Accuseasons which would 'color' the trees based on season might mitigate that issue as well.  

18 minutes ago, mikeklimek said:

It would be interesting to see if Mapbox has the same issue (I may give it a try), or if something else like Rex Accuseasons which would 'color' the trees based on season might mitigate that issue as well. 

Just give it and try. And let us know how it goes 🙂

I've given up on the high LOD though. Not worth it IMO. It's quite rare that I'm that close to the ground to be able to tell the difference. And I'm afraid Mapbox's free token might end sooner with hi-LOD 😉

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Very localised.  I have seen great textures and just as poor as default.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

18 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Very localised.  I have seen great textures and just as poor as default.

You mean with Mapbox? Btw I must have downloaded close to a million images by now on the public token. Perhaps I don't reach the limit as I'm running a VPN?

32 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

You mean with Mapbox? Btw I must have downloaded close to a million images by now on the public token. Perhaps I don't reach the limit as I'm running a VPN?

Did you add a credit card to your account? Mapbox call it pay-as-you-go. 
Make sure they don’t charge you:) extra images are very expensive. 

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

26 minutes ago, espent said:

Did you add a credit card to your account? Mapbox call it pay-as-you-go. 
Make sure they don’t charge you:) extra images are very expensive. 

I think it was a requirement for setting up an account. Do you know the price? I couldn't decipher that info from their webpage. Still on the public token though, and I haven't had an email from them saying that we now start to suck $$$ from your credit card.

EDIT: 

3DCoBdI.jpg

Edited by Cpt_Piett