Sign in to follow this  
zachlog

MSFS Weather Engine

59 minutes ago, SubtotalGuide said:

It takes a mature dev to look past the emotion and see what the actual problem is. Dismissing them based on tone is just another unprofessional form of generalisation and I know it better attitude.

No, not at all. Asobo would have to run a dev shop five times as big, if they would implement every "wish" users have. And twenty times as big, if they would follow the advice of every rant out there. Therefore issue tracking has a lot to do with priorisation and sensing the most pressing needs. And gc the rest. Every bug internally is validated and flagged with a criticality (and I can tell you, REJECTED and DEFERRED are very often used states in such tools)... And, in the light of this, a bug report with an aggressive tone is often considered as an indication, that something small could be blown up to make it appear more relevant.

1 hour ago, mrueedi said:

It is an answer to your suggestive question proving it wrong.

Sure I can easily do it using a preset.

spacer.png

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, mrueedi said:

And garbage collect the rest. Every bug internally is validated and flagged with a criticality (and I can tell you, REJECTED and DEFERRED are very often used states in such tools)... And, in the light of this, a bug report with an aggressive tone is often considered as an indication, that something small could be blown up to make it appear more relevant

Explains so much about the current situation. Do you think people including me started out with aggressive tones? No it was a gradual process with one silly bug or design decision after another. And now that we reached a tipping point even more bug reports will be ignored because people are fed up and lashing out. I can only put the blame on one person for this, and he will be sitting there smiling on the left during the next Q&A.

Edited by SubtotalGuide

1 hour ago, SubtotalGuide said:

And now that we reached a tipping point even more bug reports will be ignored because people are fed up and lashing out.

That is not true. For example, after one of the SU10 betas, the addon I developped did not appear on the world map anymore. I made a factual correct and sobern error report on the dev forum, received in total 3 replies by someone from Asobo and sure enough the fix appeared in the change log of the following SU10 beta.

You are standing on shaky ground with many of your claims. Therefore issue reports like yours probably are filtered out by them. Not enough substance. Too much negativity. Also in statistics you have to exlcude outliers.

Imagine the weirdest request that could be made to them. And rest assured they get plenty of them every day. So they have to have a process and criteria to bin these ones. There is a lot of noise to filter to find the real big issues. Now would your desire pass that threshold? Remove the drama, the accusations, the personal attacks, the wrong assertions (like "nothing has improved recently" "everything is going downhill") and your case becomes very thin and unspecific (like "the weather is worse than at release"). A guy who does not see, that SU10 improves the weather should not dictate any action on Asobos agenda. Its as simple as that.

Edited by mrueedi
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

OK, folks, time to dial back the personal jabs and insults.  We don't need the aggressive tones here.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

3 hours ago, SubtotalGuide said:

Sure I can easily do it using a preset.

While waiting for Live Weather to include more cloud types, you could use Rex WeatherForce that does generate the cloud types in the pics you posted.  You lose the local nature of the weather, but you gain many more cloud types and aerosol effects.  These two examples show Rex Live Weather turned on.  The first one has a lower scattered cumulus with an overcast high layer - very good representation of an approaching front.

Rex-Weather2.png

The second one is a lovely high overcast.

Anchorage-REX.png

If MSFS cloud depiction is your top priority, you have a good alternative.  I'm not sure exactly how Rex works, but I think it uses presets to get the cloud variety and somehow injects that in to Live Weather.  Rex uses a global weather model and some simmers don't like the transitions between areas. For me I find cloud and atmosphere depiction to be most important, so I can live with the transistions.  

Still, I do find cloud depiction has improved in MS Live Weather during the SU10 beta, so there is hope, but personally I will be mostly using Rex for the more realistic atmosphere visibility and cloud variety.

Edited by MrBitstFlyer

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

As an avid user of all things "Active Sky" I am hopeful that one day MSFS will base its weather on a combination of weather sources and tools to best represent what is going on around us.  I am more than happy with weather depiction along my route of flight however, I am often disappointed with the accuracy of the weather in the areas surrounding the area and at the airport at which I am either departing or landing at.  IMO we are only seeing the beginning of what is to become an amazing weather environment. 

• Like 1

\Robert Hamlich/

4 hours ago, sightseer said:

So, do I understand that nice high ocast (beautiful shots Mrueedi)  are to be found over the UK?

Most of my flying is in Europe at the moment, but the two shots in this post are in the USA/Canada, but they are using Rex Weatherforce - a great alternative for live weather if its cloud variety you want.

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

REX? METAR? No thanks, I want the live weather engine back from release as advertised. Weather changing seamlessly with great cloud depiction based on a global forecast model. That is what I paid for and what impressed me the most, for the first year at least.

And why was my previous post removed? Seems this place is also turning into the official forums where people abuse the flagging system for the slightest remark.

2 hours ago, mrueedi said:

That is not true. For example, after one of the SU10 betas, the addon I developped did not appear on the world map anymore. I made a factual correct and sobern error report on the dev forum, received in total 3 replies by someone from Asobo and sure enough the fix appeared in the change log of the following SU10 beta.

As I said before my post was removed, addon developers get special treatment with direct access to Asobo while users have to go through community managers. Many feeling unheard.

Edited by SubtotalGuide

3 hours ago, SubtotalGuide said:

And now that we reached a tipping point even more bug reports will be ignored because people are fed up and lashing out. I can only put the blame on one person for this, and he will be sitting there smiling on the left during the next Q&A.

You may have reached a tipping point in fact it's pretty clear you have, but I certainly haven't, and as you can see many others don't share your Chicken Little POV.  I mean listen to yourself:  "tipping point", "fed up and lashing out"-- you seem to be describing yourself primarily.  Why do you suppose that is?  Everyone is looking at the same sim, largely.   For starters most people see steady improvement, albeit not dramatic, but definite, in weather and cloud depiction.  I've been ultra-vocal about improving weather and cloud depiction from very early on, even at initial release.  If I believed MS/A was done developing MSFS I'd be disappointed with where the sim was left.  But I don't see it as a finished work, and nothing MS/A has ever said implies it is.  So understanding I really don't have a clue about all that MS/A needs to consider in making changes, I give them some slack, and really, it's been well-earned overall.   You sound exceedingly resentful of Jorg N, who presumably played a big role in initial development and release, myriad World and Sim Updates, bringing the sim to where it is today--and it's so far past, as a stand-alone flight sim, anything that has ever come before it.  It is unmatched in terms of depth and performance.  So yes, some patience and respect for the folks who brought it to where it is today is warranted.  You and I are not special, so our zendesk submissions are done to help where possible, with no assurance amongst the zillions of submitted tickets ours will be heard or explored.  I submitted variations on one ticket 3x, and to my complete surprise and appreciation, the issue was addressed--though I have no idea if they figured it out themselves and fixed it, or read my ticket submissions.  

• Like 6

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, SubtotalGuide said:

REX? METAR? No thanks, I want the live weather engine back from release as advertised. Weather changing seamlessly with great cloud depiction based on a global forecast model. That is what I paid for and what impressed me the most, for the first year at least.

And why was my previous post removed? Seems this place is also turning into the official forums where people abuse the flagging system for the slightest remark.

Global forecast models, as you know, can fail miserably at smaller scales. That's why METAR and TAF are issued for airfileds. The Global Weather models have low resolution for the area of an airport, taking into consideration the reference MSA, up to where observations are emitted.

When MFS released using only the Global Weather Model, injected based on Meteoblue GRIB data, there were various innacuracies that users started to complain about and some did impact quite considerably the realism of simulator operations as close as possible to the real world weather conditions such as discrepancies inpressure, temperature, wind, etc...

There had to be a solution, just as other weather injection programs for FSX, P3D and even X-Plane use, The METARs debuted, I don't recall exactly with what Simulator Update, but then there were discrepancies between the "aloft" weather and the METAR-based one... ASOBO has been working up to SU10 on a better merge between these two sources of data, and they've actually made a very acceptable job in this area IMO.

I don't think the weather modelling in MFS has stagnated, quite on the contrary. Same applies IMO to other areas such as AI, ATC, Flight Dynamics and systems modelling, where other users also have their complains.

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 5

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

36 minutes ago, SubtotalGuide said:

REX? METAR? No thanks

Clearly there is nothing to be said that will please you.  Your main complaint seems to be cloud variety which Rex will give you, while you wait for MS Live Weather to improve.  Positivity, screen shots and suggestions just get complete negativity from you, so I don't think I'll bother responding further.

Edited by MrBitstFlyer
  • Like 6

31 minutes ago, SubtotalGuide said:

It looked nice, but the weather didn't match what was in the METARs we get and use for flight planning. It was a big mistake to base the weather in the sim on the 'guesstimates' of a weather model instead of real world current conditions. 

I think that the conversion from the Meteoblue models to METAR data hasn't been fully completed and once they can "translate" METARs to the same format that the Meteoblue model was sending to the weather engine, the depiction we see on the screen will be similar to what we saw back then.

That being said, I'm more than happy to sacrifice some visuals to have the accurate conditions as delivered in the current real world METARs. The visuals will catch up in time.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

23 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

so I don't think I'll bother responding further.

Don't worry, I won't be bothering with this any more either. Not worth putting up with a product that keeps getting worse waiting for better times with "the crew" happily defending the sacrifices we are forced to make.

Moving on to more pleasant and productive things in life.

1 hour ago, Noel said:

most people see steady improvement

Yes, and this is exactly how Asobo said they were approaching its development over the coming months or years, when discussing weather in several live streams (not ignoring any discussion of weather at all; I mean, the layer improvements are mentioned in the SU10 beta notes, so I don't see how they can be accused of ignoring discussions of weather).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SubtotalGuide said:

the sacrifices we are I am forced to make.

corrected for you...

You noticed your opinion is not really representative for the majority?

There are also the following rules in software development when doing issue tracking:

1. Find out whether basically everbody agrees about an issue, put focus there
  2. Between often contradicting user opinions, find the most common consent about a claimed deficiency
  3. Issues that are not acknowledged by a significant portion of the userbase are not that important and put far down on the wishlist.

• Like 2