Sign in to follow this  
kt069

Auto Generated Marinas & Boats_Free Addon

45 minutes ago, psolk said:

His Project Lifts is incredible!  I have taken a chopper to the top and landed just to sit and admire his work in action...  I mean seriously incredible work he is doing!!  

If you haven't seen Project Lifts check that one out too... 

I fly around Switzerland and Austria a lot, so I will certainly take a look.  Thanks Paul!

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

11 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Hi, I am looking at OSM, and the Cowichan Bay freighter loading dock is indeed tagged as Commercial, but the boats still show up... Do I need to wait for an "update"?  😉

Yep, that was a fix I pushed to osm yesterday ( thanks to someone reported it)

Changes from OSM to msfs is not automatic (you have downloaded the package, is not streamed, you know ☺️)

Beyond the OSM data there is at ton of work involving translating the  piers data, crossing it with lot of other geo related stuff (like coastlines, type of water where the boat is gonna sit, intersection with any other feature).

By "automated" I mean that the scripts does a lot, but yeah, there is a human (single person btw) beyond that 🤓

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

I fly around Switzerland and Austria a lot, so I will certainly take a look.  Thanks Paul!

You will definitely enjoy it ☺️

And thanks for all the kind words in recent post here (and for your support too!)

A note about that addon:

The "ski resorts" have a big hit int the mountains ecosystem, and the lack of man made objects in the sim was noticeable.

Unlike Boats or Powerlines addons, I have to place a huge amount of missing lifts  pylons in OSM (especially in the US).

All that anthropization made me really sad,

And the saddest thing was to add vegetation excludes under the lifts (because they kill thousands of trees when they build those)

( i recently switched from downhill ski to backcountry ski, let's try to save the planet!)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mamu82 said:

And thanks for all the kind words in recent post here (and for your support too!)

A note about that addon:

The "ski resorts" have a big hit int the mountains ecosystem, and the lack of man made objects in the sim was noticeable.

Unlike Boats or Powerlines addons, I have to place a huge amount of missing lifts  pylons in OSM (especially in the US).

And the saddest thing was to add vegetation excludes under the lifts (because they kill thousands of trees when they build those)

( i recently switched from downhill ski to backcountry ski, let's try to save the planet!)

Ha!  A good sense of humour as well as a genius!  (Although I know you are making a serious point as well). 

Thanks once again Federico.  

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

6 hours ago, mamu82 said:

Yep, that was a fix I pushed to osm yesterday ( thanks to someone reported it)

Changes from OSM to msfs is not automatic (you have downloaded the package, is not streamed, you know ☺️)

Beyond the OSM data there is at ton of work involving translating the  piers data, crossing it with lot of other geo related stuff (like coastlines, type of water where the boat is gonna sit, intersection with any other feature).

By "automated" I mean that the scripts does a lot, but yeah, there is a human (single person btw) beyond that 🤓

This is totally brilliant, just needs the last touch to remove some surplus boats..  and if I can help cleaning up my own neighbourhood, I am willing and somewhat able (at least have an OSM account now..).

This is a real learning experience, at least for me.. but to say that I am impressed would be the understatement of the year 🙂

So, how do I now transfer the updated OSM data into MSFS after you and others have edited the pier tags, or do we need to wait for MS/Asobo to provide an update?  Which could take a while..

And are "ferry" tags OK for your algorithm?

One last question:  Are you manually fixing locations in the interim?  And if so, might they show up when you provide an update to the mod?  And if not, should individual users attempt to place exclude rectangles over piers that are incorrectly populated with boats?

As you can tell, I am still confused about the update/fix process and whether I can indeed participate in any meaningful way.. 😉

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Upvote 1

Bert

On 8/25/2022 at 12:27 PM, Waldo Pepper said:

I have to send Mamu a few bucks.   I love his mods.  

If you identify a pier in the wrong area you can fix it yourself.

Here's the man, himself.  In case anyone is curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Tz89qipkw

Even more useful is his tutorial on removing objects which has now allowed me to remove the boats at the Cowichan Bay freighter dock..  I love his mods too, and sent him some pizza slices as recognition 🙂

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Upvote 3

Bert

16 hours ago, mamu82 said:

A note about that addon:

One of the most enjoyable flights I've done in the sim is to fly the DG-808S glider from Bolzano,  Italy  to LILB.  Bolzano airport by https://beautifulmodelworld.com/ is a nice little airport,  and it's just south of Locher Sarentino which is a very fun little strip. 

There must be 15-20 ski resorts in the area I marked in yellow.  The lifts definitely make the sim much more interesting,  being able to identify the various resort areas.

I set the wind at 6 knots from 354 degrees,  there was plenty of ridge lift along that long ridge.  Very nice flight.    I flew it twice,  one in the summer, one in the winter with snow,   Bijan's winter season/trees,  and Taburet's Snowy Roads Italy.    It all tied in nicely together.

Screenshot-17.png

PS, There is more than enough ridge lift,  but I still use Kinetic Assistant to inject thermals because that area has excellent thermal map coverage.   https://thermal.kk7.ch/#46.82906,11.09777,9z

Innsbruck to Zell Am See is just north of Locher,  which is another really nice glider flight.

Edited by Waldo Pepper
  • Like 1

His work is totally amazing!!!

I don't get this, why can he do it, but the people who run the sim can't ? I know we use the word game changer,, quite a bit, but this is absolutely AMAZING!!! u gotta get it flightsim.to

• Like 2

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

Ah Mamudesigns, love his work. Everyone should check out his other addons too. Making MSFS better and better.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

MaVe Creations - FSLTL - Free AI sounds - Giving your airports more atmosphere!

www.mavecreations.weebly.com

@mamu82 thanks for another great regional add-on 🙂❤️

How about my lovely home country Denmark?... just toured the skies near EKSB and flew over the marina there. Still only sunken Asobo boats 😉

It's marked as 'pier' on OSM but then I noticed there's no bgl for Denmark at all 😪

Edited by SuperKaro2014

3 hours ago, SuperKaro2014 said:

@mamu82 thanks for another great regional add-on 🙂❤️

How about my lovely home country Denmark?... just toured the skies near EKSB and flew over the marina there. Still only sunken Asobo boats 😉

It's marked as 'pier' on OSM but then I noticed there's no bgl for Denmark at all 😪

i'm really sorry, denmarks was ready but because i'm a d..k i forgot to add them to the sources

please unzip the content of this inside your 

Community\

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X_dWGM_5-9tC7YFmuEnbhPV7GozXYRF5/view?usp=sharing

and overwrite when asked (have changed the layout .json with the required lines)

please forgive me for all the hassle!

• Upvote 1

What an amazing addon for the sim!  It's like you never realized it was missing until you see all of those marinas, docks and boats!  Flying around the Chesapeake Bay area is amazing....looks just like it does IRL Nicely done and thanks for letting us be able to turn off certain .bgl's which will be nice in the winter!

• Like 2

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

1 hour ago, mamu82 said:

please forgive me for all the hassle

Wow thanks so much, nothing to forgive my friend and no hassle at all!

You do this for free for the benefit of a huge community 🙏🏻
Will try this right after dinner 😀

A little too many boats for me when travelling up the Thames from Southend. If there was a slider I would put it at about 50% at the most. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

19 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

This is totally brilliant, just needs the last touch to remove some surplus boats..  and if I can help cleaning up my own neighbourhood, I am willing and somewhat able (at least have an OSM account now..).

This is a real learning experience, at least for me.. but to say that I am impressed would be the understatement of the year 🙂

So, how do I now transfer the updated OSM data into MSFS after you and others have edited the pier tags, or do we need to wait for MS/Asobo to provide an update?  Which could take a while..

And are "ferry" tags OK for your algorithm?

One last question:  Are you manually fixing locations in the interim?  And if so, might they show up when you provide an update to the mod?  And if not, should individual users attempt to place exclude rectangles over piers that are incorrectly populated with boats?

As you can tell, I am still confused about the update/fix process and whether I can indeed participate in any meaningful way.. 😉

You are doing a very good job Bert!

At the moment, the addon add boats only when the pier mooring is "yes" or mooring is "" (nothing, which is the most common situation)

Please change OSM data only when you are sure of what you are doing. Piers with connected ferry routes are for sure "mooring=ferry", piers in industrial area are likely "mooring=commercial" (when in the satellite imagery you see cargo/cruise ship or big fish boats), approach lights tagged as piers are for sure "mooring=no"

Sometimes you can also use mooring=private it the pier is private 

(Actually the latter are not piers in anyway but whatever)

I'm taking notes of all the change I'm or all of you are doing in OSM, so i can decide the best approach for the first update