Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

MSFS flight model

One of the things i hate in the sim.  Also have the same effect during initial rotation on take off, more than 50% of the time, the plane is all over the place until you are a few feet in the air.  I understand its something they are going to work on, but i think it should be done immediately because landing, taxiing, and takeoff is something you do every flight.  The touchdowns absolutely suck to control.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

No, I constantly see real life pilots landing the Fenix or PMDG and experiencing the very same effect over and over again. Floaty flares / trouble to get it down, and extremely nervous ground handling. It is very noticable and there since the beginning.

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

This issue would potentially be a deal breaker for me if I was thinking of purchasing Microsoft Flight Simulator. That may sound silly to some of you, but weird behaviour (on the ground or in the air) kills immersion for me.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

24 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

This issue would potentially be a deal breaker for me if I was thinking of purchasing Microsoft Flight Simulator. That may sound silly to some of you, but weird behaviour (on the ground or in the air) kills immersion for me.

If list you shortcomings of every single sim in existence  you will probably never buy any sim ever again. LOL 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

31 minutes ago, tweekz said:

Floaty flares / trouble to get it down, and extremely nervous ground handling. It is very noticable and there since the beginning.

That is the most authentic description of primary student before first solo LOL

4 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

That is the most authentic description of primary student before first solo LOL

I got my first solo under my belt already, thanks. 🙂

MSFS is just too floaty. You could flare forever.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

1 minute ago, tweekz said:

I got my first solo under my belt already, thanks. 🙂

MSFS is just too floaty. You could flare forever.

I was not referring to you LOL

I suggest you try Milviz C310 to see how floaty problem easily fixed by 3rd party developer

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I suggest you try Milviz C310 to see how floaty problem easily fixed by 3rd party developer

What did he do? Just tweak the plane correctly? So many planes in MSFS suffer from this, it feels like there's something wrong fundamentally. Maybe Milviz is working around it.

• Upvote 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

I too experience the landing issue mentioned by the OP. I fly the PMDG 737-700. And I always arm the Auto Brake before landing. Even if there is no crosswind, and even if I land perfectly and straight on the center line, the plane will nonetheless lurch to one side or another after touching down. 

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

3 minutes ago, David Mills said:

I too experience the landing issue mentioned by the OP. I fly the PMDG 737-700. And I always arm the Auto Brake before landing. Even if there is no crosswind, and even if I land perfectly and straight on the center line, the plane will nonetheless lurch to one side or another after touching down. 

yes, Ground handling in MSFS is wrong. Even the developer said so. This is not news. 

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Thank you for the post pointing this out.  All along I thought the problem was me and my lack of piloting skills.  But after hundreds of landings it still happens.  And I don't use crosswinds or live weather. so I don't think it is that. I can make a perfect landing and then a few seconds later, I'm on the grass.

I also have it on takeoffs.  I usually takeoff within the cockpit so I can see the speed.  Once I lift off I raise the gear and then the flaps.  Then I switch to the external view, since I fly for the scenery.  The plane is never in line with the runway.  It's usually on the left side.

Hope it gets fixed.  I continue to run over a lot of grass mediums.

Roy

21 minutes ago, Roy Warren said:

Thank you for the post pointing this out.  All along I thought the problem was me and my lack of piloting skills.  But after hundreds of landings it still happens.  And I don't use crosswinds or live weather. so I don't think it is that. I can make a perfect landing and then a few seconds later, I'm on the grass.

I also have it on takeoffs.  I usually takeoff within the cockpit so I can see the speed.  Once I lift off I raise the gear and then the flaps.  Then I switch to the external view, since I fly for the scenery.  The plane is never in line with the runway.  It's usually on the left side.

Hope it gets fixed.  I continue to run over a lot of grass mediums.

Roy

I don't get it, I have hundreds and hundreds of landings in the Fenix A 320, and have never even come close to running off the runway, or even straying far from the centerline. I have spent time adjusting the rudder parameters in MSFS, and I don't use any tiller steering, just rudder pedals. On takeoff, I concentrate on holding the centerline, and that is where I stay until rotation. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I am loving MSFS, the complex airliners, Vatsim, lighting and a lot more. However I personally still find the flight model pretty dead to be honest.

All approaches are the same. Autopilot off at 1,000ft then small corrections required to touchdown - regardless what the weather is doing. I'm with FlightDeck2Sim on this one, the flight model in MSFS is not great.

When is the last time on departure did the nose swing into wind? When is the last time you went around due to a strong gust of wind or turbulence? When was the last time you fought the controls on approach (watch from 2:19)?  This is the part of MSFS I am disappointed with. However, the rest of MSFS is so good there is no way I wouldn't use it.

Clearly XP12 is not going to compete with MSFS in several areas, but I am hoping the flight model is one area it may best MSFS. If so it would be good to go into XP12 for some flights where one has to really fight with the weather.

As MSFS continues to develop, hopefully the atmosphere becomes more alive.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 minute ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I am loving MSFS, the complex airliners, Vatsim, lighting and a lot more. However I personally still find the flight model pretty dead to be honest.

All approaches are the same. Autopilot off at 1,000ft then small corrections required to touchdown - regardless what the weather is doing. I'm with FlightDeck2Sim on this one, the flight model in MSFS is not great.

When is the last time on departure did the nose swing into wind? When is the last time you went around due to a strong gust of wind or turbulence? When was the last time you fought the controls on approach (watch from 2:19)?  This is the part of MSFS I am disappointed with. However, the rest of MSFS is so good there is no way I wouldn't use it.

Clearly XP12 is not going to compete with MSFS in several areas, but I am hoping the flight model is one area it may best MSFS. If so it would be good to go into XP12 for some flights where one has to really fight with the weather.

As MSFS continues to develop, hopefully the atmosphere becomes more alive.

Asobo already said that crosswind near final needed some improvement in the weather system. 

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

2 hours ago, enright said:

I still think there is a general issue with yaw in the flight model - in the air and on the ground.

I have noticed this much more lately since I have been mostly flying the C-310 and the C-414 (instead of airliners).  I am not sure if it is exactly what you are describing but with live WX, when you do turns the nose does not move smoothly.  It moves a few degrees, stops, and then moves a few degrees, stops...etc. I use rudder pedals but have also tested with auto rudder to eliminate an adverse yaw issue. Something is still very messed up with the flight physics at least with the lighter GA aircraft although I have noticed it with the PMDG 737 as well.  On a similar topic, with very light winds and on approach to a runway with trees on the approach, the sim is creating very unrealistic turbulence, almost making the plane uncontrollable on short final.  Once over the fence this effect stops leading me to believe this is the sim trying to create turbulence from the ground objects (trees, etc). If it was a 20 kt+ wind I could understand but not light winds.  There is still a lot of work to do in this sim regarding flight models and turbulence effects IMO.  

Edited by Flic1
  • Upvote 2

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11