Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

To Steam or not to Steam ?

Thinking of getting the Steam version now that I cannot seem to download the main version anymore (yes,, tried all the fixes, none work)

Thing is I know I will lose all my Marketplace bought items (not many, but a few) but is there other Gotchas waiting for me?

Does it install through Steam app or do I still have to install from the Windows Store or Xbox app (both  refuse to let me download my fully paid version) ?

Do I have to have Steam running to use it like Steam FSX ?

Is it a pain in the ------- ?

Thanks, oh one more question,,, if I someday manage to actually download the windows version again can I have both Steam and windows versions on the same pc but different drives ?

Edited by warbirds

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Paul, I've been using MSFS from Steam for 18 months. No real issues.. definitely no problems with updates that seemingly some Marketplace d/l have had. Although I think most of those have been remedied the past few months.

Yes, Steam puts it in the same folder hierarchy as FSX:  Steamlibrary/Steamapps/Common/msfs.. 

MSFS installs through the Steam app. Does Steam have to be running?:Yes, but  I run MSFS many times with Steam offline.

Is it a pain? Most definitely not. Sometimes when I run MSFS through Steam, the Steam client will update, but otherwise, totally transparent. No issues.

It's my understanding that Multiple copies of MSFS can be on the same computer,, however, only ONE copy of MSFS can be run at one time.

Not sure if you'll lose your marketplace purchases. I know you would not be able to transfer them to XBox from Steam, not sure if you'd lose them on the PC.

Hope you get it  sorted soon. Tough not being able to be in the MSFS skies. 

P.S. Love your paints... superb work!.. 

Steam rocks big time. To answer your questions:

1. Installation is done through steam, after install the base software through steam, you will download the content within the sim like usual.

2. Steam runs all the time, very lightweight nevertheless.

3. Oh you will never regret it!

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

It's bizarre isn't it, I have had msfs from msstore from day 1 and not 1 issue 

• Like 1

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

You won't regret it

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Go for steam, u won"t regret it. I have been simming since late 90's Steam is S&S simple and straight. Go for it.

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

Steam is the way to go.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

53 minutes ago, Greazer said:

Don't bother with Steam. He is just a middleman guy taking money and making a nuisance in the background.

Depends if steams your thing sure, I have a ton of stuff on steam but I still went with msstore and have had ,0 issues

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Thanks for the replies, looks like Steam ahead !

• Like 1

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I've run FSX thru Steam for almost 7 years - But I cannot figure out how to purchase and d/L MSFS 2020 thru Steam???

I can't seem to find a payment and download method on the Steam app....    

(I had MSFS thru X-Box/PC GamePass for a year and a half - but cancelled it recently)  

19 minutes ago, overspeed3 said:

I've run FSX thru Steam for almost 7 years - But I cannot figure out how to purchase and d/L MSFS 2020 thru Steam???

I can't seem to find a payment and download method on the Steam app....    

(I had MSFS thru X-Box/PC GamePass for a year and a half - but cancelled it recently)  

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1250410/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_Game_of_the_Year_Edition/

Edited by Tuskin38

10 hours ago, simtech209 said:

Steam puts it in the same folder hierarchy as FSX:  Steamlibrary/Steamapps/Common/msfs

Well, only if you let it. That's one of the major benefits to Steam over the MS store is that you control where your sim gets installed (mine for instance is K:\Microsoft Flight Simulator). You also don't have to install any Xbox apps etc. 

Edited by Dave_YVR

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS