Sign in to follow this  
sd_flyer

Dirty/scratched windshields in MSFS

I know some folks complain about dirty/scratched windshield in MSFS. Here’s display of perfectly clean windshield. My only possible fix - deal with it. Lol

IMG_3972.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I actually like the little scratches and etched windscreens - as long as it's not crazy overdone.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Except in the real world your eyes focus to distance, and the scratches on a windscreen become far less obvious, if not invisible. Having both external scenery and window scratches both in focus is literally impossible.

• Like 4

Here's some window cleaner🤙

https://flightsim.to/file/5453/jd-clean-glass-mod-all-aircrafts

Happy Landings,

JW

• Like 1

I'm also a supporter of windshield scratches in MSFS. Fully understand the argument on eyes focus, but unconsciously briefly seeing these marks increases the overall in cockpit immersion. I'm also in love with weathered interior and liveries.

Edited by vbazillio
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio/uploads

I like to see scratches but why are they always circular? 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

Which plane is the screenshot from?

In the stock cessna caravan i find them really distracting after Sim Update 10 for some reason.

Edited by wiggum

I always wipe my windshields in straight strokes after a flight (Front to rear).

But every plane I have flown has those circular scratches. 😅 

100hr canopy-airframe above, 8000hr piper airframe below.

a4HMYDn.jpeg

2bMAD2J.jpeg

Edited by SAS443

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , Turbocharged, EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40NG+tdi / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

1 hour ago, wiggum said:

Which plane is the screenshot from?

And wow those clouds look so real! What mods do you have installed?! 😄

• Like 1

I've never made a comment on these topics lol. But, I will say that I haven't noticed scratches on the windscreen. Could be the focus as others have mentioned or it could be the rain x like coating they bake onto the windscreen. I do hate dirty windscreens and will get a stand to clean it myself if needed. My pet peeve is a dirty cockpit. I clean and wipe down things to keep that clean pristine look. The same as I would my desk in the office. I always hated that weathered used and abused look. When things are clean and up kept, it's very appeasing on the eyes even in old birds. 

9 minutes ago, G550flyer said:

I've never made a comment on these topics lol. But, I will say that I haven't noticed scratches on the windscreen. Could be the focus as others have mentioned or it could be the rain x like coating they bake onto the windscreen. I do hate dirty windscreens and will get a stand to clean it myself if needed. My pet peeve is a dirty cockpit. I clean and wipe down things to keep that clean pristine look. The same as I would my desk in the office. I always hated that weathered used and abused look. When things are clean and up kept, it's very appeasing on the eyes even in old birds. 

When I flew C 152 in Ft Lauderdale area, I used to ask for the windscreen cleaner, and clean the windscreen prior to flying. It seemed like I was the only one that rented the aircraft at this FBO that didn't want to fly VFR with a windscreen covered with dirt and bug splat. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

12 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Here’s display of perfectly clean windshield. My only possible fix - deal with it. Lol

There are products out there to polish this out. Done it myself to a fleet of banged up PA140’s at my old flight school. Saved them a fortune as those approaches into the sun were downright dangerous with low time students at the yoke.

5 hours ago, SAS443 said:

I always wipe my windshields in straight strokes after a flight (Front to rear).

This is something of a fallacy. Just as with swirls in car paint, the scratches (aka swirls) appear circular because of the light source. You can prove this for yourself by moving your head. That perfect circle of scratches keeps moving around the surface with you, yet it always remains a perfect circle.

The hundreds of fine scratches running randomly in every direction and length simply reflect around the light source giving the appearance that somehow you were able to create perfect circular scratches everywhere across the surface.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

1 hour ago, RaptyrOne said:

This is something of a fallacy

Perhaps. But that's how we do it on all of our planes on the flying schools/clubs. Circular motions are frowned upon. And I dont intend to upset management too much 🙂

Edited by SAS443
  • Like 1

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , Turbocharged, EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40NG+tdi / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |