Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

PADC - snow everywhere ?

Snow coverage is one thing, but even if there is snow on the ground, surely the runways & taxiways would be clear (unless you're trying to land in the middle of a blizzard)...

You would have thought that would be sorted by now.

G

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

This is high up on the list of things I’m bothered about in msfs. I wish they would fix snow. Not just coverage, but also how falling snow looks. It’s hard to imagine they totally treated winter weather as an after thought 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Where is PADC airport?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Where is PADC airport?

Good question - I can't find it anywhere. Perhaps PANC?

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

or PACD maybe 😜

Ln1Ksr4.jpg

not sure which one is more accurate but for sure that's snow covering everything even the runway roads and water is a bit experience breaking .. the clouds with real msfs weather looks good though as usual and for me most of the time a lot better than rex (rex no cloud at the moment). I'm also unsure how REX would depict the snow compared to MSFS if there was real snow on that location.

Even if they can't or don't want to fix it, for me a little option snow yes/no would do the job because i would prefer no snow at all than the snow we have now, but well that's just a personal preference and obviously 'good snow' would be better 😜🍻

Edited by Bad_T
  • Like 3

site hanging stupid double post, sorry 🙈

Edited by Bad_T

53 minutes ago, Bad_T said:

or PACD maybe 😜

Getting closer I think. Is @jcomm doing a world tour? Hmm.

But anyway this is a sitation where it might be good to bring out REX. Come to think of it, does REX depict snow at all? Perhaps we get perpetual summer…

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

1 hour ago, Bad_T said:

or PACD maybe 😜

Exactly!  THX !!! also for the shots which show exactly what I was referring to in the day I tried it.

Even checked an online camera available there to see if the runways / taxiways were fully covered with snow, as well as the surrounding areas, and they surely weren't.

Went testing in XP12 and it was like IRL, no snow other than on some mountain tops in the vicinity.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

But anyway this is a sitation where it might be good to bring out REX. Come to think of it, does REX depict snow at all? Perhaps we get perpetual summer…

It does probably when the metar shows snow. And when it does obviously then it's probably using the sim's snow mechanism so you get the same full overblown snow.

i search for a metar with snow right now, found CYHK, and here's the result ... interestingly MSFS didn't put snow there 😁😁 but REX did probably because if it's in the metar REX depicts it. In this case i would probably prefer MSFS depiction if it's only light snow (not close to that aera so not sure which one is better, but probably the amount of snow is overdone)

oPrGZhH.jpg

Edited by Bad_T
  • Like 3

Completely unrelated, but snow and ice does slowly increase/decrease if you sit around long enough in that kind of weather.

I was flying around NYC last winter, and while it was completely unrealistic, when I came in most of the water was clear with some ice along the shore, but I was sitting on Liberty Island for about 10-15 minutes and the river slowly froze over during that time.

And a few days ago I landed at CYFB and it was completely covered, but the METAR turned warmer and the snow cover slowly faded away.

Edited by Tuskin38

So if I understand correctly, MSFS is supposed to take its snow coverage information from the website "meteoblue". However:

1. Meteoblue coverage map is higly inaccurate when zooming out far away. From close range it's good, but from far it become sometimes complete fantasy.
  2. MSFS seems to rely only on the "zoomed out" inaccurate maps, from what I read on the official forums
  3. No matter what, even when zooming out all the way on meteoblue, I couldn't get any snow coverage for PACD, which seems to invalidate the two points above ? Then where is MSFS taking that snow info from, then ?

The meteoblue map "theory" was at least explaining the snow coverage in Meiringen Swiss airbase during the summer (you could see the area under snow on meteo blue under a certain level of low zoom at that time), but that doesn't work for PACD...

• Like 2

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

Just a small heads up: I did put another question up for the next Q&A session, plz head over and vote for it!

Link: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/community/dev-stream-ask-questions-here/355

Great, including my vote it has now 35. More than any other in this section. Let's hope they'll give an answer in the next session.

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).