Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

More stupid gusts, this time on final

1 hour ago, crimplene said:

The MSFS 172 seems to have weird crosswind problems compared to other planes like the 152. I tried a 15 knot direct crosswind and it was impossible to go straight. From the moment it began to move it very suddenly turned into the wind so hard that no rudder input did anything good. The 152 or the Bonanza reacted much smoother and I was able to keep them on the centerline with no big problem.

To stay at least partially on topic: I really love the gusts.

Yeah each airplane has to be adjusted to use the new flight characteristics, Asobo doesn't update every aircraft every time they change something.

7 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Yeah, if you are crossed controlled,  and raise the nose into a stall, you will land alright, straight down. 😉

If you stall, you stall.... that's caused purely by exceeding a wing's critical AoA.  Being cross controlled or not doesn't have much to do with it (neither does airspeed but that's a different discussion.)

The reason cross-controlled stalls get emphasis is because of the spin danger; but that's far more applicable to skids than slips.  In the small airplanes I teach in regularly, slips are primary approach maneuvers for visibility as well as drag management.  Ideally, we like to be in some degree of slip from the 180 on in, using a continuous curving, slipping approach to the runway.  Traffic doesn't always permit, but that's actually the ideal.  And you bet we'll always touch down in a sideslip if there's any crosswind, there's no other way to touch down in any aircraft without sideloading it - and any sideload at all is a guaranteed ground loop for us.  The folks who use the "kick out method" are actually doing the same thing, landing in a sideslip... they're just waiting till the last second instead of stabilizing it a bit earlier. 

And yes, you do use a noticeable amount of aileron into the wind (and opposite rudder) when landing a -9Max.  The difference is, you don't actually drop the wing into the wind much.  In the first place you don't much need to, because of the increased inertia of a heavier airplane.... if you rudder the nose straight in the flare and use enough aileron to basically maintain wings level, it will be a few seconds before downwind drift becomes noticeable... plenty of time to touch down.  

Edited by Stearmandriver
  • Like 1

Andrew Crowley

I have to say Asobo got it perfect this time with SU10.   Real aircraft are extremely hard to fly in any kind of wind at all.   Most pilots I know refuse to fly if the wind is blowing.   

2 hours ago, hobart escin said:

I have to say Asobo got it perfect this time with SU10.   Real aircraft are extremely hard to fly in any kind of wind at all.   Most pilots I know refuse to fly if the wind is blowing.   

I get your sarcasm. So I also have to say plenty of people have no problem to fly in MSFS before SU10 or after. For me personally SU10 doesn't bother at all. Yes it's not perfect, but what is?

If you spent more time flying MSFS improving your skill may be crosswind gusts won't bother that much as well. 😉  

• Like 6

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

In Video (The Flying Dad) the DH82 jumps all over the sky with wind gusts (New Zealand, Gorge River). https://flightsim.to/file/28394/gorge-river-airstrip

So I fly and there is just about a perfect calm (11 AM October 5 which would be about like April in the N. hemisphere). The 2 needles on the slip gauge were straight up and down, unless I turned the plane.

I don't know why you guys and he are seeing gusts. AvAngel flu this Tiger Moth and there were no gusts at all. Just as when I fly it (unless I turn on the weather).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

AvAngel. No gusts. I see hardly any gusts in MSFS with the latest SU and WU.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Fielder Im not sure I understand, weather does change of course all the time.

Are you saying you never experience any gusts?

sorry just read the second post, I was typing same time, you say hardly ever.

Its dependent on weather setting of course, without knowing what setting is in use in both those videos they mean little

P.S. I also notice that in the first video he is flying in an area with a lot of hilly terrain if he has a moderate wind there then you can expect/gusty/turbulent conditions

Edited by Pathfinder633

Depends on the aircraft too, and how the flight model is. With the freeware Vertigo update with "full CFD" I was getting thrown around a fair bit with constant weathervaning in ~10kts wind. Don't think I would have tolerated it very well if I was in VR - probably would have gotten motion sickness. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

I flew where he was in the mountains. I had live weather turned off and clear skies and no wind layers in the flight setup screen on MSFS map page. So if I don't want gusts I just turn the weather settings down before or during the flight.

I was in the Tiger Moth. Over Gorge River, N.Z. Just like The Flying Dad video.

Edited by Fielder

20 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Yes, well claiming that everything is wrong about  the sim, when someone has never actually flown a real aircraft, is worthless too. 

Pleased you can actually say that here. I made a similar point in the "Official Forum" when somebody who has never flow a real aircraft kept harping on about realism. I left that forum when the moderators used the "One Community" rule to quash my post and maintained that the "only pilots opinions matter" argument I put forward was unacceptable.

Real Pilots' opinions count though, the rest of us don't have a frame of reference. It's a flight simulator and we must allow people who know what is realistic and what isn't to shape the sims live weather.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cbcdesign said:

Real Pilots' opinions count though, the rest of us don't have a frame of reference. It's a flight simulator and we must allow people who know what is realistic and what isn't to shape the sims live weather.  

Lmao

1 minute ago, Jeeeno said:

Lmao

Thats very much what I do when I see people who have never flown a real aircraft telling everybody else what is realistic or not. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, cbcdesign said:

Thats very much what I do when I see people who have never flown a real aircraft telling everybody else what is realistic or not. 

The alleged real pilots here are saying the following:

"Yeah turbulence is realistic because in 1974 landing in Miami I had very strong turbulence, so it's fine". Nothing more distant from a scientific approach to the problem. 

So it's very LMAO. 

I think pretty much everybody agrees it needs improvement, the poll supports that. And yes, I don't want to be buffeted around on approach if in the real world that same approach is calm. So, if you are saying there is too much of it and that is unrealistic, you may have a point. But the actual physical effects on the plane of what is real or not, only real pilots can judge that.

Edited by cbcdesign

5 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

I get your sarcasm. So I also have to say plenty of people have no problem to fly in MSFS before SU10 or after. For me personally SU10 doesn't bother at all. Yes it's not perfect, but what is?

If you spent more time flying MSFS improving your skill may be crosswind gusts won't bother that much as well. 😉  

Precisely!   We constantly expect Asobo to make a perfect flight simulator and seem to relentlessly hold these wonderful people accountable for the least infraction.   It really makes me sick sometimes.

My technique for landing after the SU10 update now involves just landing "wherever the winds blows me"; i.e., if the wind is not blowing down the runway perfectly, I'll land her in the grass or something next to the runway.   People that for whatever reason take this game too seriously are always obsessed about landing on the runway when other places can be used just fine.  I'm thankful Asobo is giving us an opportunity to do things like this in our wonderful game.