Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Beta 6.

On 10/8/2022 at 12:31 PM, Yogipriester said:

And I am still p****ed because even with b6 I can not use my Toliss A321 due to the badly flickering display panels.

(Linux Mint, Ryzen 5900X RX 6900 XT)

You can use your Toliss A321 in a stable XP11.  Nobody forced you to test an early release of XP12.

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

18 hours ago, Baber20 said:

MSAA in 2022 is a joke. TAA should be a bare minimum. Also whoever believes that Xplane 12 doesn't sufffer for aliasing and shimmering issues needs an eye doctor. There is also this issue of flickering at cruise altitude that gives eye cancer. 

This. Nobody said AA is perfect. But stating: it is 2022, so this or that is unacceptable sounds like trolling to me.

flickering is a huge issue, you should enter a bug report.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

You can use your Toliss A321 in a stable XP11.  Nobody forced you to test an early release of XP12.

Correct. But what shall I do if I have no XP11 installed on my main flightsim PC?

The annoying point (at least for me) is that all these problems apparently only exists in the Linux version with non-Intel or non-Nvidia hardware and LR seems not to care too much. For very good reasons (again in my humble opinion) I simply do not want MS or Apple and those hardware. That is why I bought XP for Linux.

Jürgen Martens, DK7HN

On 10/7/2022 at 12:02 PM, Bjoern said:

There is zero risk involved in simply downloading the demo and the 10 to 12 GB of data and give it a try. If it doesn't suit your taste, simply select the installation folder and press Shift+Del, wait a few months and try again.

There is a risk, to my view. I don't wish to pollute my very nice PC with any PUPs. I'll wait until release candidate territory, thanks.

ETA: XP-12 doesn't support TAA? And no plans to support DLSS+RT? Heh. That ain't gonna fly very far, so to speak.

I took a very informal poll yesterday in a group of about 30 of us flying yesterday, asking what was the approximate percentage of those using AMD vs Nvidia GPUs. The consensus was that about 90+% of flight simmers use Nvidia. And only Nvidia has Tensor cores (if my terminology is correct,) thus DLSS+ hardware RT.

Edited by OlliePen
  • Like 1

Corsair 5000D Airflow | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master | i7-11700K @ 4.9GHz | Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-3600 CL16 RAM | Crucial P5 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME | WD 14TB external HDD | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Aorus Master | EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold PSU | LG 32GP850-B 32.0" 2560x1440 165Hz | Saitek X52 HOTAS | Win10 21H2

32 minutes ago, OlliePen said:

ETA: XP-12 doesn't support TAA? And no plans to support DLSS+RT? Heh. That ain't gonna fly very far, so to speak.

Not jumping all in on the latest fad is one of the key reasons, imho, that Laminar have survived the last 25 years, while so many others have fallen by the wayside. 

So if you really believe this, you are going to need a much stronger rationale than "others did it".

Especially when a simple google search will show you the vast majority if comments about such things are how much people hate them, how they arent ready for use yet and coming up with wacky ways to disable them.

But the internet would be boring without all these armchair generals, so dont let facts and evidence distract you.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

38 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Not jumping all in on the latest fad is one of the key reasons, imho, that Laminar have survived the last 25 years, while so many others have fallen by the wayside. 

The simming game has changed. If LR don't up their visuals and performance it won't be another 25 years. 

• Like 2

On 10/8/2022 at 2:57 PM, Sethos said:

So now we're just down to what you personally prefer and I certainly don't care about some of those, especially not VR which is a tiny subsets of users.

Well believe or not VR is revolutionize the flight simulator experience much in the same way as what 3D cockpits did for the 2D monitor. Remember there was resistance of those who prefer 2D panels simply due to lack of resources to run it with respectable performance and their comfort level. It is still too new but the interest is there and growing and those "tiny subsets of user" will not remain small. Mostly its small due to the cost of owning VR devices still is pretty expensive which has kept many away but it does not mean they would not want it once the prices start going down. Much of the evidence was seen even on the other side where the demand for VR priority was raise for MSFS shows how much interest was there. 

The effect it has once entering that environment, gives you the size and scale when viewing aircrafts, airports and the environment as well as putting you inside the cockpit as opposed to looking at it on the screen. It is incomparable to what a 4K monitor can deliver when seeing the effects of turbulence all around you in an aircraft with "XP realistic" as opposed to looking at it on the screen. It works even better if you'll lucky enough to have the Buttkicker or one those old gametix racer pad seats (which is not available anymore) does certainly increase that immersions. The bottom line to all of this, it make you forget you are on a desktop computer (like it should be imo) and all those detail of other emerging technology that only enhance the 2D experience on the monitor or the nit picky concerns of the scenery, but forces you to focusing on your  flying and the environment you are in, while allowing you to look out the windows much easier without hitting keys to pre establish views. The bonus is that you can teleport yourself around in and out of the aircraft or anywhere in the virtual world better than looking at on the screen. To me, that is much better from my point of view as oppose to the latter. Of Course, performance consideration is key and to find compatible aircraft that are VR friendly and other supporting VR apps is also important. I get it that VR isn't for everybody but those who can get it should give it a try, even in Cessna 172 is even convincing,  in a jet, it just blows you mind. It really changes the dynamics of flight simming no matter what your choices sim is,   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, UKflyer said:

The simming game has changed. If LR don't up their visuals and performance it won't be another 25 years. 

That should have been obvious about 3 years ago, but somehow Austin did not get the memo.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, UKflyer said:

Pretty sure that's what LR's only competition (unigine engine) thought.

I imagine they are still scratching their heads wondering when they will have similar success.

AutoATC Developer

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

The latest fad? You mean the present and future? I really enjoy reading your posts, Sparky; they make me laugh. 😁

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Corsair 5000D Airflow | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master | i7-11700K @ 4.9GHz | Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-3600 CL16 RAM | Crucial P5 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME | WD 14TB external HDD | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Aorus Master | EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold PSU | LG 32GP850-B 32.0" 2560x1440 165Hz | Saitek X52 HOTAS | Win10 21H2

11 minutes ago, OlliePen said:

The latest fad? You mean the present and future? I really enjoy reading your posts, Sparky; they make me laugh. 😁

You should apply these skills to reddit.

Stick "TAA reddit" into google, the top 3 or 4 threads are just begging for you to go argue with them.

can't even link the top hit, because the entire title is "word developers use to describe computers"

but it starts with F and ends with TAA.

Something tells me the next round of games releases won't be using it 🤣

As for RT, while I very much look forward to it maturing, I even posted

2 years ago.

Its definitely not ready to risk a business like Laminar on - just yet. To dependant on a single manufacturer, to immature, and nowhere near enough interest from their core customers - who just need a reliable simulation to keep their customers alive at reasonably modern standards.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

This is copypasta'ed from Wikipedia. I cannot vouch for its veracity, but I will say that once one has run games/sims with TAA or DLSS, it's very difficult (for me at any rate) to go back to more primitive and deprecated antialiasing.

"TAA compared to MSAA
Prior to the development of TAA, MSAA was the dominant anti-aliasing technique. MSAA samples (renders) each pixel multiple times at different locations within the frame and averages the samples to produce the final pixel value. In contrast, TAA samples each pixel only once per frame, but it samples the pixels at a different locations in different frames. This makes TAA faster than MSAA. In parts of the picture without motion, TAA effectively computes MSAA over multiple frames and achieves the same quality as MSAA with lower computational cost.

TAA compared to FXAA
TAA and FXAA both sample each pixel only once per frame, but FXAA does not take into account pixels sampled in past frames, so FXAA is simpler and faster but can not achieve the same image quality as TAA or MSAA.

TAA compared to DLSS
Nvidia's DLSS operates on similar principles to TAA. Like TAA, it uses information from past frames to produce the current frame. Unlike TAA, DLSS does not sample every pixel in every frame. Instead, it samples different pixels in different frames and uses pixels sampled in past frames to fill in the unsampled pixels in the current frame. DLSS uses machine learning to combine samples in the current frame and past frames, and it can be thought of as an advanced TAA implementation."

Edited by OlliePen
  • Like 1