Sign in to follow this  
TravelRunner404

Oh man, DLSS 3.0 frame gen Isn’t going to be liked..

I agree, that video looks fine. Main artefacts look to be coming from the poor bitrate of the recording / YouTube compression.

• Like 1

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

18 minutes ago, SierraDelta said:

This one doesn't look too bad

Nothing that a good 2.XXX or 3.XXX series can do, without spending $2000 for an elephantomatic and stellar 4.XXX series and the ridiculous DLSS 3.0.

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

15 minutes ago, Claudius_ said:

Nothing that a good 2.XXX or 3.XXX series can do, without spending $2000 for an elephantomatic and stellar 4.XXX series and the ridiculous DLSS 3.0.

I don't believe for a second that 2000 or 3000 series could get quite as smooth frame rates as seen in the Fenix video above which was hitting 70+fps with DLSS 3. That would mean with the same scenario and DLSS 3 turned off, it would only be achieving 35 to 40fps!! A 2000 or 3000 series card would likely be struggling to hit 30 fps in the same situation (especially a 2000 series card) and wouldn't be as smooth.

Frankly, I can't wait to get myself a 4090 once the Intel 13th gen CPUs are released. I agree they are over priced and it is greedy of Nvidia, but anyone saying that a 2000 or 3000 series can achieve the same thing is deluding themselves. I think a lot of people are angry at the prices and trying to convince themselves that the 4090 and DLSS 3 isn't as good as it actually is.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

I don't believe for a second that 2000 or 3000 series could get quite as smooth frame rates as seen in the Fenix video above which was hitting 70+fps with DLSS 3. That would mean with the same scenario and DLSS 3 turned off, it would only be achieving 35 to 40fps!! A 2000 or 3000 series card would likely be struggling to hit 30 fps in the same situation (especially a 2000 series card) and wouldn't be as smooth.

Frankly, I can't wait to get myself a 4090 once the Intel 13th gen CPUs are released. I agree they are over priced and it is greedy of Nvidia, but anyone saying that a 2000 or 3000 series can achieve the same thing is deluding themselves. I think a lot of people are angry at the prices and trying to convince themselves that the 4090 and DLSS 3 isn't as good as it actually is.

First: the DLSS 3.0 is not considered anymore the "magic" that bring your sim at 150 fps.

Second: the little fps difference doesn't justify the price for a 4.xxx series.

Third: the Fenix thing is a brick, not the ideal to try a good graphic card (see point fourth).

Fourth: we need more capable CPUs to fill our "old" 2.xxxx and 3.xxx series cards.

Fifth: I think that a few people are angry to trying to convince themselves that the 4.xxx series cards are the holy grail.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Claudius_ said:

Your comments appear a bit salty to those who choose to spend the money. 

• Like 5

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

1 hour ago, SierraDelta said:

This one doesn't look too bad:

From this video at first, I wasn't sure if the author of the video was running DLSS 3. At the 1:58 mark of the video, it just says the anti-aliasing option is set to "NVidia DLSS Super Resolution."  But couldn't "NVidia DLSS Super Resolution" also mean DLSS 2?

Anyways, the author of that video confirms in the comments that he/she is using DLSS 3.  If what the author says is correct, then I guess for the 4000 series cards in MSFS, if "NVidia DLSS Super Resolution" means DLSS 3, then MSFS doesn't even give you the option of using DLSS 2 with a 4000 series card.  By default, MSFS uses DLSS 3 if it detects a 4000 series card.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, SierraDelta said:

This one doesn't look too bad:

I have additional information that confuses things even further.  So another Youtuber did a DLSS 2 vs DLSS 3 test here with the NVidia 4090:

DLSS 3 gives almost double the FPS of DLSS 2 in the video above?

And in the comments, the author of the video above writes that you have to manually enable DLSS 3:

You need to enable an option called "Frame Generation". You can see it the graphics settings of several games in our review: https://www.pcmrace.com/2022/10/11/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-founders-edition-review/

This has me wondering if DLSS 3 needs to be manually enabled for the NVidia 4090. If DLSS 3 needs to be manually enabled, the author of the Youtube video that you posted @SierraDelta may not have enabled DLSS 3.

(I think as more people with the 4090 submit their findings, it will become clear if DLSS 3 needs to be manually enabled or not).

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

23 minutes ago, wiler said:

Your comments appear a bit salty to those who choose to spend the money. 

Wrong: my comments are a lot salty to who choose to claim miraculous properties from a new (and expensive), graphic card.

• Upvote 1

Hardware Unboxed did a great job explaining these issues with DLSS 3. They even used MSFS as an example:-

Basically you need to have a high FPS as a base before you can apply DLSS 3 if you don't want to see artifacts.

I think this makes DLSS 3 irrelevant for MSFS.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Well at the risk of being ridiculed by @Claudius_, I'll throw in my two cents. I think the video with the Fenix at EBBR doesn't look bad at all. Sure there some stutters which could be due to the recording. It's hard to do a good recording without external video capture. 

I think it's at these situations DLSS3 could be useful - heavy scenery, demanding 3rd party airliner like the Fenix. Throw in AI traffic and a heavy cloud coverage to the mix and current hardware would be struggling to maintain 30 fps without stutters. 

What could be useful is to have access to DLSS3 in the toolbar so it's quick and easy to turn it on when needed. 

Btw @abrams_tank, isn't DLSS3 the combination of "DLSS super resolution" and "DLSS frame generation"? I'm just guessing here. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

I get latency in announciator mode in the fenix and in the PMDG/Fenix MCP when changing heading/altitude when in DLSS2 now. Does anybody also get that? That stops me from using DLSS2 now, cant think it would be fixed with DLSS3 on top of it?

Vincent Rouleau

AMD Ryzen 7950X3d / 32.0GB G.SKILL Neo DDR5 6000 / Gigabyte  GeForce® RTX 4080 16Gig / / Samsung C49RG9 49' /ASUS  PB287QQ ‑ 27" UHD / AGAMMIX 2TB / Samsung 970 PRO 1TB /  PNY SSD 1TB / Windows 11 / Gigabyte B650M Elite Motherboard

A few notes…

Yes. DLSS now has an option in SU11 that is called “Frame Generation”. You have to have a 4000 series, HAGS on, and DLSS selected as your anti aliasing for it to be available.  You can use DLSS upscaling without frame generation  

The video doesn't do it justice, but of course, everyone’s tolerance is different. The C172 frame in this view might have been a unique problem.

I would at least say if you are looking to drop $1800 to fly this in 2D so you can crank up the AI and TLOD you might want to try it first. It’s no subtle. It’s really not subtle at all. 

The card is great. I use VR in my work so I am fortunate to grab these things and get to use them on the side. In the Varjo Aero with 39 PPD and DLSS I am getting 50-60 FPS with settings that I got 31 FPS with the 3090. The Varjo Aero experience really shines with this thing. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Well at the risk of being ridiculed by @Claudius_, I'll throw in my two cents.

I'm not ridiculing you at all because I feel you a sincere sim enthusiast like me and almost all the guys here. My concerns are against the marketing claims announcing miracles from new hardware, while FS20 is a severe benchmark for any CPU/GPU combination. Maybe the drivers for this new elephantomatic 4.xxx card need to be optimized, but in my opinion at this moment their performances don't justify the money. especially regarding the DLSS 3.0. Also, FS20 like other civilian flight sims don't need stellar fps to get a perfect smoothness.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Drebin27 said:

Hardware Unboxed did a great job explaining these issues with DLSS 3. They even used MSFS as an example:-

Basically you need to have a high FPS as a base before you can apply DLSS 3 if you don't want to see artifacts.

I think this makes DLSS 3 irrelevant for MSFS.

They did indeed, which is why I posted the link for this yesterday on the main DLSS 3 thread, you will need 100+ fps to start with basically, otherwise you will notice these artifacts

the latency issue was also covered 

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

18 minutes ago, Claudius_ said:

I'm not ridiculing you at all because I feel you a sincere sim enthusiast like me and almost all the guys here. My concerns are against the marketing claims announcing miracles from new hardware, while FS20 is a severe benchmark for any CPU/GPU combination. Maybe the drivers for this new elephantomatic 4.xxx card need to be optimized, but in my opinion at this moment their performances don't justify the money. especially regarding the DLSS 3.0. Also, FS20 like other civilian flight sims don't need stellar fps to get a perfect smoothness.

Ok, thanks for elaborating. I can agree that the 4090 is ridiculously overpriced, just like the 3090s were at launch. And also some of the marketing seems over-hyped, as per nVidia's style. However I think there's some benefit from DLSS2/3 in certain scenarios. At the moment DLSS2 doesn't do much for me with the 3090 except in situations with heavy cloud/fog. In those situations I've gained 40-50% fps and the sim has gone from stuttering to quite smooth. I also agree that stellar fps is not needed - certainly not ridiculously high like 150+. At the moment I'm usually happy if I can get 30+ fps and smooth on final approach, whereas I get much more overflying remote areas. 

I'm a bit of a hardware enthusiast/nerd too, and I'm eager to try the 4090 in a few days, once caseking.de can confirm if it's out of their warehouse or not. I don't expect any miracles though.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”