Sign in to follow this  
mspencer

An on-topic discussion of xEnviro

Want to start this by saying, please do not turn this into a match between MSFS and XP12. It's been two years, pick your sim and move on, none of us have to hear about your choices in brand of milk, chicken or beef, or flightsim preferences.

So xEnviro was released this week, and on the FSElite article regarding, there's this bit:

Speaking candidly on the xEnviro Facebook group, Threshold owner Magnus Lorvik said, “This is an urgent project that will hopefully mend economic difficulties for the dev team. (I have elaborated on this in our discord). It was a relatively short dev run since the core of the weather engine already existed in X-Plane version. (Only development time for this was since the 1.17 release)“.

For those that own the X-Plane version of xEnvrio, DarkSpace has made it clear that they will be restoring focus back to version 1.18 on X-Plane 11.

For a product that's $42.00, do we have any thoughts on this? I've heard it was a great program for XP, but I'm taken aback by admitting the cash grab... and then going right back to XP as the focus...

It looks good but I just can't even imagine saying the release was basically not in good faith. I'm having issues with this one...

(granted, I still feel peeved by the low effort/no effort releases like like everything from CaptainSim, and the LVFR Airbuses and traffic pack)

• Like 1

Im not paying $42 for a WX engine for this sim. The default one is great. 
$42 is insane. 

• Like 17

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

3 minutes ago, fakeflyer737 said:

Im not paying $42 for a WX engine for this sim. The default one is great. 
$42 is insane. 

That's not the problem I have with it... it's "here's our release, it's in bad faith because we are going back to XP. But please buy it, we need the money."

Yes, I agree the price is a bit high, but that's also what ActiveSky has commanded from P3D and XP users now for a decade, and we all pay it. I have an issue with it being a release in bad faith.

I want to give it a go but I'm concerned about some bad press I heard from xp11 users (about the XP version in the past).  I'm hoping for a YouTube video.

What's most important to me is the weather at the airports I fly to- are they pretty close to the metar?  Especially cloud bases and visibility.  Sometimes I only fly to an airport to shoot approaches down to or close to minimums. Second is winds aloft - how accurate are they?  Popping/shifting weather is a slight concern but if it's only occasionally then it's not an issue for me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

historical weather...mmm, interesting!

I'm waiting for the reviews

Edited by SN737

Sergio Naiberg

I'm holding out for HiFi. If there's no AS for MSFS then I'm sticking with default.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

1 minute ago, MDFlier said:

I'm holding out for HiFi. If there's no AS for MSFS then I'm sticking with default.

Yeah me 2, if we had a clue they're on the making of something, are they?

• Like 1

Sergio Naiberg

I'm not holding my breath. I never had any complaints with it in P3D, and I like the developer. He seems like a good guy and he gives good support.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

I’m not going to get anything that doesn’t use a seamless weather transition like MSFS does. The fact that xEnviro, basically nearly omitted this in their launch. Then admitted to what can only be described as a desperate attempt to sell something that was not as “unique” as they claim, just to get money out of it is enough to tell me everything. 

Everything they are selling we can already get for free or superior. The shader enhancement for example looks ni different to me then what I am using Free Style for. 

The weather? Tell me MSFS doesn’t have it nailed down with smooth transitions and now combining METAR data to the forecast model. 

HIFI is the only one I’d  consider, even then I do not want a weather engine that does not show me an improvement with a seamless transition. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Not at all interested. For me, MSFS weather is improving and working well for my simming. If Active Sky developed a weather app for MSFS I would look at that. Otherwise, I am good.

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

Everything was already said in the other thread. IMO there was no need to open another one. It will soon turn into an MSFS against XP war again.

Edited by Alvega
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Yea, not interested at all and, to be honest. I am quite pleased the default weather. It is not perfect, but it is very good. Just today I was dodging downpours in the 310 flying across northern Manitoba, pretty much spot on with real weather with no transitions and excellent performance. Of all the things I can spend money on for FS weather is pretty low on my list. 

• Like 1

Dan Scott

For me I like MSFS weather as it is, the default weather depicted is improving and I am not interested in historical weather...ref xenviro my experience in XP11 was that whilst it usually looked very good on my system it was very resource hungry...

• Like 1

Wayne

i5 9600k OC @ 4.6,LIQUID COOLED, INNO3D RTX 3060Ti 8GB, 32GB RAM, 2 X 4TB HDD (MSFS & STEAM), 1 X 2TB M.2 SSD (XP12) TOMAHAWK MAG Z390 MOTHERBOARD, M.2 for OS WIN11, X52 PRO, TCA THRUSTMASTER AIRBUS CAPTAINS EDITION, TRACK-IR.    XP12    MSFS2020.   

Ununsully for me I'm not in the slightest bit interested in it. For historical reasons rather than the historical weather.

Edited by jarmstro